Tell me something good

mixwiz

My wife and I are recording an album this winter. It's a collection of songs all released in 1974. I've been posting them when they are nearly complete. This is the latest. I was struggling to with mic selection while the Mrs. watched TV and had a couple cocktails. Ribbon and an LDC just didn't sound right. For the hell of it, I put up a 58 that I've had for nearly 25 years. In fairness, I used a Gap Pre 73 (the new fancy one with the Carnhills) but I was really surprised at how good it sounded. Granted I'm completely biased but I think a lot of the magic was in the performance and she pretty much nailed it in 3 takes. It's not finished yet and the mix needs work (I tried to mix it like a singer and not a guitar player) but it's close and it's been a lot of fun. Spring is right around the corner and we are scrambling to get this project done so we can go boating.

Hope you like it.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
The vocals rock - no doubt. But I hear sections that sound like a bass and synth part from another part leaked into the mix. (You hear them at the end after the fade).

mixwiz

The vocals rock - no doubt. But I hear sections that sound like a bass and synth part from another part leaked into the mix. (You hear them at the end after the fade).
You're correct. It's stuff from previous takes that were much slower. I left it in for fun but it will come out during the final. I record on an hd24 which is kind of like a tape machine in that regard. You have to edit out stuff manually. The double kik solo in the intro will go as well. I was teasing the drummer as I wanted a faster and in your face drum track so I told him to start it out with a double kik intro (kind of as a joke actually). It actually worked pretty well I thought.

Trending Topics