Tell me the down side of a Kemper

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gilwater, Aug 22, 2019.

1. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Die hard tube amp guy here who has played through a few digital things live & I think you have a good post here.
    I thought well of a KPa I used. I wouldn't replace my tube amp with it buy it would be a good tool to add.
    Currently I have 2 tube amps, 1 digital amp & a Flyrig. Each have their use.

Jon C likes this.
  2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

yes. FWIW, i gig regularly with my KPR into a cabinet and i'm respectfully disagreeing with many of the previous posts in this thread. it's not as complex as some make it out to be. pick a profile you like, twist the knobs until you like it even more and hit save. it will bring that sound back every time you recall that preset.

i've tweaked WAY less with the KPR than any amp/pedalboard/fx type rig i've ever owned. I essentially created a couple performance banks of 5 presets and have barely touched it since i built them the 1st week. I also really like the feel and response of the powered version thru a cab, and i've always been a die-hard modeler thru a tube power amp into a cab kinda guy. i find it very enjoyable to play.

yes, it does sound a bit more like a mastered version of a tube amp, but that's not necessarily a bad thing to me. it sits in a live band mix very well and cuts thru with smooth, yet clear overdriven leads as well or better than most of the $$$ tube amps i've owned.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. zenmindbeginner

zenmindbeginner Silver Supporting Member

Why is it either or?

I practice through a tube amp... own some nice vintage amplifiers and record through a Kemper.

I use the Kemper to Re-Amp and often send a re-amped signal through my pedalboard into my amplifier. That amplifier is mic'd via two microphones and sent back to my DAW. I looooooove having my signal played back while I get to move the mics around and adjust the settings on my rig.

PLUS, I can turn my amplifier up for 5-10 minutes without alerting my neighbors... this would be impossible to achieve while actually recording and laying down tracks. But if my track is already recorded and I am 100% happy with the performance, I can re-amp that through my amp at a fairly loud volume and get it done in under 10 minutes.

My Kemper KPA totally enhances my vintage tube amplifiers and pedalboard.

Gilwater, Man with Gas and buddaman71 like this.
  4. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

The downside is that although Kempers are cool, they are not as cool as my Marshall JMP. :boxer:rotflmao

5. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

I'm an unabashed KPA fanboy, so take that into consideration. IMHO:

The stock profiles aren't spectacular. They're OK, but if you take one home, plug it in and dial up a few of the stock presets, you might be a little disappointed. As others have mentioned, MBritt, Top Jimi, Tone Junkies, Big Hairy Profiles, etc. all provide killer profiles.

It's not as tweakable as an AXEFX. That's OK with me, because I just want to dial up a tone and I don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking, which I know from experience I would do if I could. If you want to design your own virtual amp, you should probably get an AXE.

If you run it through monitor speakers, it won't replicate the sound/feel of a tube amp sitting next to you. The good news is, it's not against the law to own both a Kemper and a tube amp.

BigBadOrange and buddaman71 like this.
  6. sbreide

sbreide Member

Well, this is the most ridiculous thing posted on this thread.

Nothing will outlast Keef. ;)

7. Occam

Occam Member

The delays and reverbs have gotten really good. The stock tube screamer is fine and I don’t care for the fuzzes but as an ambient guy running stereo delays and reverbs they’re now really lush and the ducking feature is something I wish more pedals had.

buddaman71 likes this.
  8. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

When I had my Kemper rack, what surprised me was the old school hard drive inside it. I've had to change the same type of drive in my computer 3 times over the last several years.
    I tried FRFR with a new Kemper and a QSC 12, took it to a jam..what a mistake.

9. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

Large blanket assumption you've made there....I'm pretty sure many many on this board are excellent players... you're drawing a false equivalence to support your opinion as fact because you don't like what people are stating....tube amps or not have nothing to do with one's ability to play the guitar well.

JasonElGato, Kevy_Metal and zuel69 like this.
  10. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Put me in the both category. I love my tube heads and love my modelers.

JasonElGato, SteveO and buddaman71 like this.
  11. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Great post.

12. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

That’s it entirely. Which is why I have a Helix.

13. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Downsides to owning Kemper:

- It will never love you back.
    - It doesn't toast Pop-Tarts® worth a damn.
    - You will forever be a sworn enemy of BIG TUBE.
    - No relation to Ellie Kemper (The Office, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt).

14. twotone

twotone Member

I've heard demos, and the Marshall 412 sound isn't convincing enough for me.

15. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Double LIKE!

zuel69 likes this.
  16. caligtr

caligtr Member

I agree ... Thats why I still write my books with a typewriter while listening to hi-fi records.:cool::) ... They don't make things like they use to.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  17. sbrett

sbrett Member

Cons
    • It's ugly. Doesn't look cool
    • It's expensive-ish
    • Stock profiles mainly sound like poo
    • Won't gel with the hipster crowd
    Pros
    • It sounds great with the right profiles. I've downloaded a few and mainly use three that I haven't had to touch much in 3 years.
    • No tubes to explode, no patch cables to hunt down, no inconsistency from one night to the next
    • Sounds as good but usually better than a real amp if you're using in-ears (which is what I use) because you're skipping mic inconsistencies, bleed through, weather, etc.
    • Overall less hassle and weight than tubes and pedals
    It's all in the profiles. The wrong ones make it sound like playing a plastic toys-r-us guitar through an absolute pile of hot steaming garbage. The great ones feel and sound just as good as the best mic'd amps you can get.

Gilwater, Man with Gas and caligtr like this.
  18. caligtr

caligtr Member

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MIir6C6beX5AIVwhd9Ch2MZQtyEAQYBSABEgKmw_D_BwE

19. burner

burner Member

That's awesome...

20. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

For me it never sounded great, especially the high end. Finding good profiles is a pain. I’ve opted for either a UA Ox and now Suhr Reactive Load IR and real amps instead (usually Marshall clones). If I need to be really portable, I use a UAD interface running the Suhr SE100 instead. Works much better for me. SE100 doesn’t clean up quite like a plexi so treble bleed is helpful. Not sure what the treble bleed value is on a Reverend Sensei 290, but it works really well. I don’t always have that guitar around so I need to add treble bleed on a push/pull on another guitar for use with the SE100 plugin.

zuel69 likes this.