Tell me the value of these Capacitors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bman20, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

needing to change out these old caps that look to be bad in my echoplex. Im good with the actual work, just un-educated about part values. Any light on what i need to order and the value of the cap would be great. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The top one is a 47pF cap (47 and 0 zeros), with the "K" denoting a +/-20% tolerance. The bottom one is a 0.01uF (modern ones may have a "103" label, for 10 + 3 zeros = 10.000pF, or they may say 10nF, both of which are the same as 0.01uF).

3. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

Thanks stinkfoot. They have a burnt/dark look to them, hoping swapping them out will fix my problem. Also, if i have a 47 uf will it work? Or does it have to be pf?

Thnx

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

pF, nF and uF are denominators, so the actual value of a capacitor can be expressed in all three. As you go from pF (picofarads) to nF (nanofarads) to uF (microfarads), there's a factor of 1000 for each step (the core is Farads, which is 1000 times larger again than uF/microfarads). So 47uF would equal 47.000 nF, and 47.000.000 pF. Or, if we use the 47pF example, it could also be expressed as 0.047nF or 0.000047uF. Although with such a small value, it's highly unlikely you'd see anything but the pF expression used. Actually, the ones that are used most often are pF and uF - nF/nanofarads tend to get left out a lot, as most values in its range are still short enough to write in uF form.

So, the short version: yes, it needs to be 47pF :D

5. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

Probably about $0.05 all together.

6. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

^Saw that one coming! :)

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I bet these are not bad, fwiw. Ceramics don't go bad the same way things like electrolytics do.

8. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

Question for u tech heads: if these were in fact bad and theyre in the input stage of my echoplex, could that cause the db loss and high end cut that im experiencing?

9. cbm

cleaned your tape heads lately? how old is your tape cartridge? ever demagnetized your tape heads?

10. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

Tape is literally brand new and the whole thing is recently cleaned. Also this does this whether the echo is on or off--as in the whole unit does it, so i wouldnt think a demag would fix that

11. cbm

Yeah, sounds like something else, for sure.

12. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

Just tried a demag and didnt help a bit. Swapped out the caps too--nothing! Gonna hafta send it off