Tell me what you would change on this board.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ecbluesman54, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I am having a hard time figuring out what pedals I want to place on a new board for a cover band gig. Here is the current list of what I have to put on, but I am willing to switch out anything shown. The main gigging amps are a Budda SD18 1x12, and a Matchless SC-30. Guitar is a LP Standard. The bands covers range from classic rock - 90's alternative - to modern pop style rock songs. Any help/suggestions at all would be great.
    Thanks!

Effects in no order:

Teese Wah
    Keeley Compressor
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Landgraff D' od
    Zendrive
    Fulltone mini Deja Vibe
    Line 6 MM-4
    Lovepedal Vibe
    Analog man Boss DD-3
    Trex roomate reverb
    Boss Tuner

Other overdrives I could put on: Landgraff D'od, Fulltone FD II, Red Snapper, Trex mudhoney, Zendrive, Diamond JDrive, Blue collar, AC or BB.

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Just a thought, but have you thought about swapping one of those OD's for something in the fuzz family? Might work well for the 90's alt stuff and classic rock of course.

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I have thought about it, but I have never had much of a taste for Fuzz. i am open to ideas though.
    Thanks for the reply

4. madscientist

madscientist Member

I wouldn't change a thing about that board...maybe switch the Line 6 for a analogman bichorus or something, but really, it's a well rounded board with great sounds.

5. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Depending on what kind of classic rock you're doing, a Skreddy Screwdriver or something based on the Colorsound Overdriver (Throbak OD Boost, RX Overdriver, /13 Joyride) might really capture the vibe, definitely a different sound than the E or OCD (although those are both excellent pedals)

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

What about a good tremelo for one of those vibes? The Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 is hard to beat, but plenty other good ones.

Not a huge fan of the OCD, but it's still a great pedal with a bit of mid scoop to it that can give you a heavier sound if you need it... I think all in all you put together a good gig board. :AOK

7. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Compression and heavy TS-style OD tends to sound dull in a full band mix when driven by humbuckers. (Even moreso if your speakers are V30s b/c of their particular midrange hump.) Go for high end clarity and an upper mid bump from an OD, that's what cuts through.

Can't see needing both vibes and the Line6. Given the range of material, you probably want the modeler, though I'd put it in a TB loop. With the other two, it really comes down to song selection.

8. TimH

TimH Member

I'd add some kind of programmable Delay to it...Timfactor, Nova, DD20? That or at least a true analog delay. Otherwise I give it my stamp of approval...which isn't worth much really :)

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I use a Budda SD 18 1x12 in the band I'm in and love it. I would lose either the Lovepedal Vibe of the fulltone vibe....aren't they redundant ??

Also I would think about adding a lovepedal COT 50 and losing the OCD....I recently starting using an eternity and a COT 50 on my board and they sound spectacular on their own and stacked into a budda. The duo knocked a KOT4 and an OCD off my board !

Also, what about a clean boost ?? And maybe upgrading your delay to a timefactor ?....I recently got one and it is freakishly good...

10. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am going to look into all the suggested pedals. This forum is a great help!
    One other thing do you guys prefer the Teese or the Budda Wah? I really like them both, but am interested in other thoughts.

11. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I'm a huge Budda fan. It also works really nicely with my Trifecta Fuzz, if you do want to add some fuzz to your rig.

12. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

with the ocd + eternity you have a great drive setup, so i wouldnt even bother with fuzz.

while the mm4 is probably handy, its a big unit and considering you have the 2 vibes which cover a lot of territory, i would swap it out, but i guess it would depend if you could replace everything for the same price and real estate

i only use chorus, tremolo and phasers/vibes and use 3 red witches for that.
    pentavocal trem (as well as my amps trem), medusa chorus, moon phaser.

however, on 2nd thoughts, id leave it on there. all that modulation in one box.

something to stack the eternity with would be good.
    ge boost such as a white dragon perhaps?

13. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Three vibes is alot of vibes.

14. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

+1 and maybe add a Maxon flanger with the extra space.

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Boost at the end of the chain. You'll thank me later.

16. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Here's what I am thinking with the Vibes. The lovepedal vibe does a nice univibe sound, whereas the Deja Vibe will mostly be left on the chorus effect, with occasionaly using the vibrato feature. As far as the Line 6, I would use it for Phaser, Flanger, Rotary, and whatever else I decide to program. The only drawback of the Line 6 is that you cant use 2 at the same time.
    I think I am going to make a OD change as well. I think I may run the Landgraff D'od, Zendrive, and Eternity.
    I appreciat eall the feedback, there are some great ideas to think about.
    Thank you.

17. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Strobostomp for the Boss (Boss isn't bad, but SS has alternate sweetened tunings and is very very accurate).

18. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I have considered the Strobo stomp. I have just never used one.

19. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I would consider adding a low-to-med gain OD, something like a COT 50, Timmy, or Silver Kiss, for when you might want some extra dirt, but not a lot. The Zen, E, and LG pedals tend to really shine at higher gain levels IMO, so adding the lower gain pedal would allow you quick access to those type of tones without fiddling with dials. Bonus - all three are great stackers, to push your others over the edge!

20. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thought I would bump this to the top one more time to see if there are any more suggestion or comments out there. Thanks!