1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tell Me Why I Need a Custom Shop Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TowMater, May 19, 2011.

1. TowMater

TowMater Member

Hello All -

I have a Fender Deluxe Strat that I think is perfect. It's the latest model with a compound radius neck. The neck is straight as an arrow and the fretwork is great. I've replaced the pickups with Fralins. I've added the Callaham trem block. Basically, this guitar plays, sounds and looks perfect.

Still, though, I find myself GASing over the idea of a Custom Shop strat. I'm not interested in a Custom Shop for the nitro finish, styling, etc. I've just got it in my mind that a Custom Shop strat must be even better. But given the quality of my current guitar, it's hard for me to see how a Custom Shop could be any better.

For those of you who had a "perfect" strat and then bought a Custom Shop, did you find that the Custom Shop was even better? If so, in what sense? Or did you regret spending the extra money?

Thanks!

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I have an AmDlx that I also think is perfect. The only way you can tell for yourself is to go play one. It's about feel and playability IMO. I've played a couple, and while I agreed that they were "better" than mine, they weren't 3X the price better IMO. I'm not a Strat guy really, and the one I bought because it just sang to me when I played it in the store. I look for that much more than I look for "custom shop" on the label.

3. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

You just got GAS. I tell you what , I love strats too. I don't own a custom strat and never played one. If you buy one let me know if it was worth the difference.

4. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

More like why DON'T you need a Custom Shop Strat... :) haha

5. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

I would REALLY love to see if Mike Eldred is going to answer to this thread

:munch

6. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

You need one because you don't have one.
    Then you will notice something else you don't have, and you'll need that too.
    GAS is GAS.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Your guitar is pretty custom shopped right now. I don't think it would necessarily be better, different. .

Possible to find a MIM that is better than a CS. not that likely, but CS does not guarantee better. The thing is, that you have better odds of getting a better instrument with a CS, but you can always get a dog. and many of them are so-so.

I've had a lot of great CS guitars myself. I've talked to someone who bought a $4K(!) CS Wildwood 10 strat, and soon after the honeymoon, they liked their old one better. Then it's up for sale.

Grass is always greener. My grass is sort've brownish green, and I like it that way because it doesn't grow as fast, so I don't have to mow as often.

8. mannish

mannish Member

more money than sense maybe - I have idea why you would need one

9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

You don't need one, but it's okay to want one. FWIW if spend the 3000 on jewelry for your lady you will probably have the same short-term improvement in self-worth without the long wait. :)

10. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

CS guitars are a cut above but I can't justify the extra money given how nice Fender production guitars can be.

My .02....I have one of the new series AmDlx's also as well as an Eric Johnson Rosewood. Both are easily the equal of the CS NOS '56 I sold a couple years ago.
    Now.... my AmDlx is approaching 9 pounds...manageable but odds are a CS guitar would have a lighter premium wood body. My EJ on the other hand is CS quality all the way... quarter-sawn bound neck, 7 pounds... gorgeous in every way.

11. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

Ayup.... because you have money to burn...

12. Frisky

Frisky Member

When you're ready.

13. TowMater

TowMater Member

Me too! I know he's read it!

14. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

Is the great pumpkin coming to speak to us?

15. Strat87

Strat87 Member

As the owner of a fantastic CS strat I can say if you are content with what you've got you don't need one. I got mine because it combined all the features of m dream strat. I wasn't happy about paying for it lol, and it was pretty cheep in the scheme of things. If I could have gotten the same guitar as a production model for less money I would have, but I have no regrets.

16. Andygee

Andygee Silver Supporting Member

....as part of an elaborate money laundering scheme??

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Isn't it kind of odd that CS Strats are, generally, NOT custom?
    Did I miss something about how one orders them? Most seem to be on the rack.

18. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Don't think you need one. I've played a number of CS Strats, and IMHO they may be better in certain aspects but tonally they not pretty far off form the American Dlx or the Mexican Road Worns!! I had all of them, and the only one left now that I use is the RW strat. Go figure.

19. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

20. TheFife

TheFife Active Member

In my experience it wasn't worth it. I've owned 2 Fender custom shop guitars. One of them lasted about 6 months and the other was returned to the dealer within their 30 day return period. They are the only expensive guitars that I've ever purchased and ended up selling. I own other guitars that cost just as much money, and I'm completely happy with them. One of the Fender custom shops had severe finish issues and had the frets so heavily rolled that you could barely play the high e string. The guitar that replaced that one didn't have any glaring issues, but after having it for 6 months or so, I decided I preferred my American Standard with Fralins. It just wasnt anything special at all. I purchased both guitars new from well known online dealers.

Ymmv

Brad