Tell me why I shouldn't buy a PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by halorealm7, Nov 17, 2008.

1. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

My uncle past away several months ago and left me a little bit-o-cash. Been thinking seriously about a guitar upgrade, more precisely a PRS. I look at the PRS site and man I just get overwhelmed but I've never had an opportunity to play one. I'm thinking of spending between $1500--$2000, so used looks very much in my future. Tell me why I should or should not. What should I be looking for as far the good, bad and all that. And yes I'm asking for YOUR opinion.
    Thanks, Brian

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

You wouldn't ask someone to go into a shoe store and buy a pair of shoes for you without you trying them on, would you? Guitars are like shoes...only YOU know if they fit, no matter what anyone else says or thinks. It's YOUR hands and ears that need satisfied.

PRS makes some great guitars...only one way to know if they are right for YOU ;).

3. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

I guess I'm really looking for folks to tell me their personal experience with PRS guitars. Especially those who have put them through the wringer. I've played Gibby's and Fenders all my life. I'm just looking for some real world experience concerning the PRS line.

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Take Vaughn's advice..........the brand is very controversial and likely to start a flame war here. I offer the same advice as Vaughn, I WILL add that I have owned 5 or 6 of them and have not kept any of them.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Don't buy a PRS because everyone will think you are a rich lawyer or doctor.:crazy

But seriously, I've owned a few PRSi and they are very well made guitars. Very consistent and nice playing instruments. I currently have a PRS SC and love it. The only thing I'm not completely fond of is the thick feeling Poly finish, but it's definitely jewel like in appearance and does not show wear easily. That's probably why you don't see too many PRS relics out there.

6. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

I own a 1996 PRS Custom 22 10 top. This was my first guitar. I recorded a bunch with it, and it is very versatile. To my ears, it doesn't give "strat" or "tele" sounds, though. Not even Gibson sounds for that matter. It has unique sounds of its own, period. It plays great and looks beautiful. Is it still my number 1? Not so much, although I still enjoy playing it. I've gravitated towards strats and Les Pauls, which is ironic considering you seem to be starting from that point and gravitating towards PRSs. My favorite guitar right now is a 1986 american standard strat, played through an Orange combo. The strat is nothing fancy. It has 11s in it and sounds wonderful.

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

I owned a PRS Custom 22 10-top as well. It was a fun one when I got it, but it just didn't stick. Retrospectively, I realize I didn't like the neck (prefer a fat Gibson 54-58) or the pickups, which were warm and difficult to overdrive. I was also worried about dinging it so I babied it, which kind of made the experience less fun. Traded it after ~8 months for an R8 VOS, a guitar I was much happier with.

I will say this in its favor: it was GORGEOUS.

[​IMG]

9. DocLovett

DocLovett Member

Just my opinion, based on 36 years of playing, but if you gave me a PRS I would run to trade it for a Les Paul...or an SG...or even a really nice Tele or Strat...I just cannot vibe with them.

10. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

I hadn't seen that. Thanks Martin
    Thank everyone for their thoughts.
    My thinking was that possibly the Swamp Ash Special could get me into both world territory (Lester/strat) and still have a voice of its own as well. I certainly like the maple neck and I like the idea of the wide/fat carve that can be bought on it too. I guess I'm wondering myself if its that much better than an Am. Strat both money, play, resale and all that stuff figured in. Gonna have to ride to Nashville or Chattanooga and play a few.

11. RAR

RAR Member

I thought I wanted one for years (badly) until I played one and realized it wasn't for me. Beautiful guitars, though. I may give them a second chance someday.

12. Luke

Luke Senior Member

How secure is your job? Have a 6 month rainy day fund set up? How's your IRA and 401k? You might find less glamorous uses for that money that yield greater long term results. One thing is for sure, used PRSs are not appreciating anytime soon.

13. Mark C

Mark C Member

They're awesome instruments for the right player. You have to try them out, because they ain't a Fender and they ain't a Gibson. They do their own thing, and they do it very well. Oh, and I don't currently own one, though I'd like to get another one someday.

14. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I have owned about 8 Prsi. While some have come and gone, all were stellar as far as fit, finish and playability.

Since tone is so subjective, I won't go there. I liked/loved them all. I only sold some to try out others.

I rate their Productions Models right up there with the boutique builders. Youi just have to find the model and tone that would fit you best.

I don't think you could go wrong by taking the plunge on a used one. Just do your homework as far as what would be most pleasing to you.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

15. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

LOL Job's secure Luke, thanks. Everybody's gonna die someday, know what I mean? Business as usual:tapedshut

16. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Well if you think you can afford it and believe it will make you happy, give it a shot. I'd buy used so that you can get out with a maximum of a $200 rental fee on resale if it does not suit you.

17. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

That's my thoughts exactly. It's not like I can get any quality time with one before I buy. I'm about 1.5 hours from the nearest dealer so play time is gonna be tough.

18. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Hey I've been playing 26 years, and I would take the money, go to Vegas, play poker, then take the winnings and go to the clubs and drink my way to celebrate my uncles memory.

19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

I've been playing PRS's since 1994 and they're still my "go to" guitars of choice. I also own a Thorn, a killer '58 reissue Les Paul, and a fun little Carvin electric 12 string, but I keep going back to my PRS's time and time again. To me, they're perfect.

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

nothing wrong with PRS at all. i have a couple, as well as fenders and CS gibsons.

the McCarty is a great model that works well for me. these guitars bring something else to the table that i like. and i personally like the wide/fat carve.

a good PRS with a pickup swap can be an amazing guitar...their pickups...well, another story...