• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tell me why you own a Kemper AND FM3 ?

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
Happy Kemper toaster / floor controller owner since 2018.
Used pretty much exclusively at church - silent stage , IEMs till Covid hit.
Recently a couple cover band gigs came up and used it with good results.

Still, quite curious to try the current Fractal waters . ( I owned v1 AxeFX for a few months many years ago )

FM3 would be my only consideration as I use simple amp blocks / effects. That and cost.

Could you share why you have both and what the advantages to owning both are ?

Thanks !

Ejay

Since they both are “do it all” units…the best reason that comes to mind is….”to decide which one to sell”.

The other reason could be…”cause a man needs a hobby”…which is perfectly fine..guilty as charged…just not with digital gear. #morefriendlytowallets.

texhex

Silver Supporting Member
Kemper profiles of my amps into the AXE III for effects. Cat’s pajamas.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Kemper profiles of my amps into the AXE III for effects. Cat’s pajamas.

2e9c173bc4e9c9fb651c0b623cf8427b.jpg

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
well both units are pretty good(i enjoy more playing with my Kemper) but also i like some amps on the Axe 3,so i think Axe 3 is going to be my last Fractal product i don't think I'm going to buy another device from Fractal,Kemper is getting better and better, also some adm and mods from the fractal forum they don't like when you talk about another device, fractal adm or mod made my forum account to log in very very slow just because i told some guys on the forum that they were fanboys,and yes there are too many fanboys in that forum

I would think that TGP is a better place to talk about another device, and ideally on a thread about that device. Even here I find it annoying when someone starts a thread about a piece of Fractal gear and someone goes on and on about a Helix or Kemper with some version of "My dog's better than your dog". For better or worse, forum etiquette is a thing and you ignore it at your own peril.

But with that said, to say you won't buy a given piece of gear because you were given a hard time on a forum makes no sense to me, and saying that the admins or mods intentionally made your login slow sounds downright paranoid.

Ni6htWalker

But with that said, to say you won't buy a given piece of gear because you were given a hard time on a forum makes no sense to me, and saying that the admins or mods intentionally made your login slow sounds downright paranoid.

well you can think whatever you want but im having fractal forum login issues in my 2 macs,home and work,so if you want to call it paranoid is ok,and i wont buy another fractal device because i prefer the Kemper,also im tired of Fractal updates that is always fixing this and that.

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
well you can think whatever you want but im having fractal forum login issues in my 2 macs,home and work,so if you want to call it paranoid is ok,and i wont buy another fractal device because i prefer the Kemper,also im tired of Fractal updates that is always fixing this and that.

I'm not saying you're not having login issues, I just think attributing that to vengeance by mods and admins ("Let's not block him, let's slow down his login just to mess with him.") seems a little nutty, even for a modeler company's forum.

If you prefer the Kemper that's fine, some prefer one, some prefer the other. That's how it is with any piece of guitar gear.

CapnRex

I went through this. I have a Kemper but am kind of tiring of it. I feel like I've seen what there is to see over 5 years of owning it and there are tones I can't quite nail, particularly a liquidy Mesa, that it seems Fractal might help me get. Hard to say until I change.

I thought about the FM3 but the FM9 just looks like a less restricted option with double DSP. I also thought "well with a Kemper AND FM3 I could do anything..." but really it's amp tones I want, not effects. So whichever gets me a better Mesa tone wins. I also don't have much money so 2 is a bit much for me, even with the cheaper FM3.

I will get the FM9 and have a combat to the death between it and the Kemper. I hope the FM9 wins, especially since the pedal board is something I've missed with the toaster.

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Kemper but...there are tones I can't quite nail, particularly a liquidy Mesa, that it seems Fractal might help me get.

I just finished playing my Les Paul Classic Plus through the FM3 and the "liquidy" tones are definitely in there. I hadn't played the LP in a while so I just wanted to rock out and that combination really delivered.

Definitely check out the FM9. I just picked one up and am looking forward to putting it through it's paces. The problem is that I like the FM3 so much that I just keep playing through it. I think you'd be happy with a FM9. Let us know how it's working for you when you pick one up.

Last edited:

CapnRex

I just finished playing my Les Paul Classic Plus through the FM3 and the "liquidy" tones are definitely in there. I hadn't played the LP in a while so I just wanted to rock out and that combination really delivered.

Definitely check out the FM9. I just picked one up and amp looking forward to putting it through it's paces. The problem is that I like the FM3 so much that I just keep playing through it. I think you'd be happy with a FM9. Let us know how it's working for you when you pick one up.

Thanks for the comment. I definitely will write about it.

The more I research Fractal, the more it seems to match the play style I have in mind. I'm an obsessive tweaker, so it should keep me busy.

Ni6htWalker

I'm not saying you're not having login issues, I just think attributing that to vengeance by mods and admins ("Let's not block him, let's slow down his login just to mess with him.") seems a little nutty, even for a modeler company's forum.

well i dont know who mess with my forum account but since last month 10/07 when one forum adm or mod deleted my last 4 posts,it take like 4 minutes to log in or post in that forum.

and let me tell you fractal fanboys can report your messages even if i didnt insult any single person in that forum,when someone report a comment adm or mod can mess with your account.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
I have them both so my Helix and Quad Cortex don't get lonely...joking...

I used to get one then think I preferred the other but then the one I sold gets a new update that makes me think I should have kept it...etc. etc.

So eventually I got them all and kept them to do a Shootout Maximus. ...which resulted in me not being able to decide...

fortunately the resale value on these things isn't too bad so if you buy used you can get in and back out without too much net loss and gain a lot of hands on time with them all for what ever that may be worth. I had to move all but one out of the main room I use so I would quit comparing and make music instead. Now I'm going to get it down to two. One big one one little one. At least that's what I tell my wife....

JasonE

I have a Kemper Stage and a Fractal FM9. While on the surface they are both an all in one solution. In reality they are both good devices capable of getting great tones. I find the FM9 better at high gain tones and the Kemper better at cleaner or classic tones.

One thing I really like about the Kemper is that I was able to profile my actual gigging amp with some OD pedals and duplicate the tones that I have been using for years to gig with.

Something I really like the FM9 for is that I can run my normal guitar tones through it and also run my piezo pickup tones through it at the same time. This allows me to cut down on the amount of equipment that I have to carry. This was the main reason I decided to buy the FM9.

I like having the two units and having the options available to me for the situation I am taking it into. Both allow me to run direct with IEM.

CapnRex

well you can get the Kemper Stage and problem solve

It would solve the switching part, but not the part about not being able to recreate the Mesa sound I want. It kinda just sounds like a Marshall and a distortion pedal, whatever I do.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom