Tell me you favorite Distortion Pedal Please!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tmd187, Jan 13, 2008.

1. tmd187

tmd187 Member

I have tried many Overdrive pedals, and currently am using an Analogman Maxon SD-9/Super modified pedal, but I'm looking for more balls, something that isn't face melting, but with more kick. so suggest to me a pedal that will do the trick please. BTW, I love boutique pedals, so I know my pedal is out there. The SD-9 just doesn't have the gain I need! I'm running through a Twin Amp too, so I don't need too much, but more, more..more!

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Tonebone Hot British

3. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

2 of my favorites, these will be pryed fom my cold dead hands!

Overdrives

Landgraff MO-D (rat variation)
    Landgraff LDO (tube screamer variation)

MO-D is my fav, best described as thick and creamy with more low-end then the LDO.

Fuzz

Check out Skreddy pedals, Marc builds a heck of a pedal for a great price point.

Also check out the new Barber trificta fuzz, 3 selectable fuzz sounds in 1 box.

4. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

My favorite right now is my Mo-d and Tim.

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Freakshow Brown Rabbit, and Earthquaker Hoof. The Hoof is not for the faint of heart. Both pedals can be considered fuzzes, especially the Hoof. It's the only muff type pedal that can do overdrive.

6. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Emma ReezaFratzitz is sweet.

8. iualum

iualum Member

...you're close, really very close (although I love the SD-9 too), give a good hard look at the DS-830...

9. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

10. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Check out the Menatone "King of The Britains", it's an awesome pedal that sounds especially good through Fender amps. Plenty of gain, very responsive controls, solo boost channel...might be just the ticket for you.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1... you want some balls-out distortion that also cleans up and isn't just fizz, that'll do. Nice low end and 4x12 chug.
    If you want something a bit more amp-like, yet still powerful and with plenty of gain, the Fetto Deluxe kicks all sorts of ass. I A/B'd it with my new Menatone KotB, and the Fetto was better IMO on all fronts. It is a teensy bit more expensive though.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

1. BJF Dyna Red Distortion, best there is IMO. Designed to work through clean amps and does it AMAZINGLY. Fairly flat EQ curve, so works well with many amps. Very!! interactive controls. Bad News: They're expensive!
    2. Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion, similar to the Dyna Red above, witha slightly different midrange character and not as good with volume knob changes, but amazing nonetheless.
    3. Keeley RAT, very cool, rude pedal that sits very well in the mix. Kindof a mix between a fuzz and distortion, but in a cool way.
    4. Tonebone Classic Distortion, very nice pedal similar in EQ to the Mighty Red, Bad News: a little quite unless you crank the gain.

In my opinion, distortion is the hardest effect pedal to get right... and all react differently to guitars and amps. So a lot of soul searching is required in finding the right one for ya. And none are absolution perfect, the BJF Dyna Red Distortion is dang close though...

13. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

MI Audio CrunchBox. I find it to be highly tweakable, especially, with the internal trimmer and can make make clean Fender amp sound like a hot mess (but in a good way).

And of course, you always have to give some love to the RAT (any version will do but I prefer the Vintage, big box one)

14. Joses

Joses Member

Right now...the MP Mighty Red Distortion :D

15. JVania

JVania Member

Skreddy Screwdriver

16. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I have the screwdriver and love it, but it's a little fuzzier when the gain is up than what the OP seems to be after.

I'd vote for the Catalinbread SuperCharged Overdrive (SCOD). Don't let overdrive in the name fool you. It's a distortion pedal. Plenty of gain without being over the top and the countour knob does a great job taking from sounding like an Orange amp to sounding like a Hiwatt stack. There are some surprisingly good examples of it on youtube.

17. PlexiFuzz

Since the OP is playing through a Twin, I'll respectfully disagree here.

I had high hopes for the Fetto Deluxe, and it does have an awesome amp-like feel and character to the distortion, but it just didn't bring the mids. I found it to be way too scooped with a Fender to do the ROCK distortion I was after. The KOTB was a much better match.

BAN

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

That'll learn me to read more carefully!
    I've not played it through a blackface twin, or modern twin, only a Silverface twin, which is a much richer sounding amp IMO, so the Fetto Dlx. does well with it, and with the mid switch engaged, it can have nearly honky mids. But I have not played it with a blackface type circuit...

I'll bet that the KotB was a better match with your Twin... to me it seemed like the highs were all a bit rolled off and it was overall a bit "softer"... which would pair better with something with a lot of high end definition like a modern Twin.

19. PlexiFuzz

Just to clarify, I don't have a twin personally, but I was playing the Fetto through a blackface-style amp with that classic scooped frequency (Gries 5). Through this amp, with the mid-switch engaged on the fetto, it was the same tone as with the KOTB with the mids almost rolled off.

Now, to be fair, I did end up trying through my Sewell Texaverb (also blackface inspired, but with the ability to dial in some serious mids) and the Fetto sounded much more in line with what I was expecting. Unfortunately, that wasn't the amp I bought it for ...

Still, a well-made and well thought out pedal. And that Core control, which basically gives you the characteristics of changing the voltage, should be on every pedal.

20. alivegy

alivegy Member