Tell me your Gibson L6-S feelings?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm a little intrigued by these. Never played one but back in the late 70's bought the Ibanez version (which played very nicely) but I don't remember the 70's so that's no help anyway.

What should one of these in 7/10 cost? What would you compare the sounds available to? I know they're lightweight, which I like. I think they came w/ rosewood, ebony and maple. Anything special to consider there? Anybody have one they want to sell at a reasonable price? I'm curious of anything you have to share here. Thanks.

2. DrBob

DrBob Member

Has the band Razorlight made any kind of impact in the U.S. yet ?
    I ask because their singer/guitarist Johhny Borrell seems to use an L6 pretty much exclusively. I did a music industry awards ceremony where they played live, he's got about 4-5 of the things

3. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I owned one for about 45 minutes in the 80's (part of a complicated trade deal). It felt like a quality guitar but I didn't like the way it looked. It sounded good and was nice to play. I might have kept it for a while if I had had the money.

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Who told you they were light weight?
    The necks are fairly narrow, the frets low and flat. Necks can be maple or rosewood boards depending on the model, body is usually maple. Decent Schaller tuners and wide Schaller sourced wide travel "harmonica" tunamatic. The 6 way pickup selector gives a wide variety of tones but is of limited utility live. The models with the "regular" 3 way toggle usually L6S Deluxe don't have the more complicated and hard to explain pickup switching (its NOT a varitone).Pickups are either Bill Lawrence designed chrome covered humbuckers or black plastic covered humbuckers.

5. Martin Horne

Martin Horne Member

It was my only electric for 8 years. I really liked it. The 6 way rotary gave me out of phase and funk tones, the neck shape was comfortable and it had an ebony fingerboard (albeit not a top quality one). The guitar brand new with tax and hard case cost me $365.

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Hadn't heard from them, but it appears he's still playing the L6, but I couldn't get much from the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NQjHeh_quBY

7. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

My brother had one a long time ago. Very thin neck. Didn't like it.

8. Martin Horne

Martin Horne Member

I hate thin necks but my L6s had a round, meaty neck like a Les Paul and played great.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

All I know is I've thought about building a Warmoth L6-S for quite a while :D It looks like a cool guitar!

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I had one for about half a year when they first came out.

To me they had mediocre tone and no sustain whatsoever...I sold it with no regrets and haven't looked back.

stratzrus

11. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Santana calls it his Rainbow!

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

a '74 is my main axe right now and i love it. it's weird, for sure. i also had to spend a lot of time with my amp and pedals to get the sounds i need. i have no issues with sustain. it can get pretty nasty zz top and stones-ish sounds if you ride the tone controls

13. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I custom order one in '74 (I think).

It had a beautiful dark walnut finish, Mahogany body and neck with gold hardware, a thick slab ebony fretboard with real MOP block inlays and a micro adjust bridge, brass nut and the biggest frets ever made at the time.

I played that guitar for 20 years and sold it for what would be a great deal even today.

I liked the 24 frets, beveled contour body and smooth action...but the neck was never quite wide enough for me.

P.S. The guitar eventually received a Bartolini Hi-A neck and Dimarzio SD bridge pickup with a standard 3-way selector. I would love to see that guitar again someday.