Tell Some Blues /Jam Stories ...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ShredSquatch, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Supporting Member

I love teh TGP... you guys have shared some great stories keep them coming!
    :beer

~ss

2. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

This morning I put blueberry jam on a piece of toast.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  3. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

Was at a jam one night ( at the Hogan) and a really good guitarist from one of the hot local bands called out Stormy Monday (yeah, I know, but I don't care.)
    The bass player was a major fixture in town and had a reputation for really ripping into anyone he didn't deem good enough to play with him. He rather snottily asked me do you know the climb up climb down? I said, are you asking me if I know the Allman Brothers changes, yes, let's go!

The other guitarist did the singing and everything just fell into place. The audience was eating it up! The guitarist nods to me, and to this day I'm not sure where that solo of mine came from. I know it wasn't me, but the heavens opened up and pure perfection rang out of my guitar! When I was done, the other guitarist just turned around and fist bumped me with a huge grin. Even the bass player was nice to me. It's kind of like that one golf shot you get that convinces you to keep coming back.

As I say this bass player had quite a reputation and in a discussion I told a friend of mine that so and so had never really said a cross word to me. He looked at me and said "You're 6'6" and 270 pounds! He's an asshole, but he does understand physics!"

4. swampstomper

swampstomper Member

I love playing blues but I can’t imagine myself attending a “blues jam”, either as a performer or a spectator. If I’m going to bother even bringing a guitar without getting paid it better be something special.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  5. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Even better is the host band that insists on doing the last set as well.
    "So, I loaded an amp and guitar in the car, drove 20 minutes over here on a Thursday night, thinking I've got a good hour and a half of jam night left, but you guys are going to play the last set to a mostly empty room?"
    "You should try to get here earlier next time".

ShredSquatch and Amplifier Owner like this.
  6. jblake

jblake Member

The only blues jam I regularly attended was at a now-defunct bar in my hometown. I can’t recall a single instance of egos or (excessively) poor playing spoiling the good times.

My favorite memory is the night I remember coming back to my table after a turn and my R&B singer friend asking “How the hell are you going to play ‘The Thrill is Gone’ at 140 bpm? Do you understand what a thrill is, or the concept of gone-ness?” I laughed at that way too hard for way too long, and that is what I miss.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  7. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

If somebody asked me that “snottily,” (about the ABB arrangement, specifically), I’d ask if they know which two choruses are slightly different.

Even most people who get the changes right tend to miss that subtle detail.

ShredSquatch likes this.