Tell us about this thing called 'Warmoth'

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by electronpirate, Feb 22, 2008.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

After looking around at new Guitars, I noticed many speaking of Warmoth.

Now, should I want a LP Style guitar, what do they do there? Seems I pick out all my options, and they build them? Or I build it myself?

What are general opinions of all this?

EP

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Warmoth sells the parts only, they don't offer any asembly service at this time. You can have the finish the neck or body if you like, but you will have to put the guitar together yourself of find a good tech to do it for you. Their parts are first quality and the results can be excellent if you know what you want and have the right person putting it together.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

4. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

It's very habit-forming. I'm on #20 now. Shovelhead is right - my first was a LP and with the longer-scale neck. It was a nice axe but did not feel or sound like a Les Paul. I've done a LPS with the shorter-scale neck and it's a lot closer to the right feel.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i may go the warmoth route.......i need a strat for some bands i play in and i HAVE NEVER found a strat i liked in a shop never!!! so piecing one together may be the answer than u get what u want

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

Warmoth is great for parts, but like Shovlehead says it can get expensive really quick when building your own entirely from Warmoth parts. I've priced it out many times and I can always get a good, new brand-name version for about the same money.

Where Warmoth becomes a great value, to me, is when I need a replacement neck or body (for example) to fix or finish a kit I already have part of.

joolzriff, have you played a Custom Shop Strat, yet? Once I did I've never looked back. Not sure you could even get close to a great Fender CS Strat with Warmoth.

RR

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

You could probably order a Carvin singlecut with the options you want for a little more than what it would cost to buy all the parts to make a Warmoth guitar.

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

To build a top quality parts guitar expect to spend +/-$1,000 (yes you can go a little cheaper if you don't need nitro paint, top brand of bridge, ultra light weight body, top custom hand wound pickups etc). Don't do it if you can find a standard model that works for you. But if you can't, they are a great way to go. I am on #4 right now and I am loving it.

9. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'd stay away from Warmoth if I wanted a Les Paul.

Warmoth (or USACG) is the kind of place you'd go to get parts to build your own Tele or Strat.

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

11. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

OK, here's an alder body at USACG for $89:
    [​IMG]

This neck is $189 (and Tommy's necks are awesome)

[​IMG]

Add $120 for a Callaham bridge, $50 for tuners, $25 for a pickguard, $200 for a set of pickups, and another $50 for additional hardware and paint. You'll have top-notch parts and less than $800 invested. But you have to want to do the work. If you do, and you can do a nice set-up job, you can wind up with a strat that plays and sounds considerably better than, say, an American Standard. (IMHO)

12. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

My Warmoth/Strat hybrid I'm building works out to just over $700, but I already have the pickguard and electronics.

13. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I wouldn't say that Warmoth necks and bodies were too much inferior to Fender CS. I've had plenty of both and feel that the Warmoth quality is extremely high. The advantage of Fender CS is that you can play a finished guitar and know what you're getting. They are also often nitro finished, usually very well, too. The Warmoth finishes are on a par with any American series I've seen.