Tell your guitar/gear buys/sales stories

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Flugel, May 7, 2015.

1. Flugel

Flugel Member

Last potential buyer asked me to take the guitar to a shop to compare with other guitars.

I told him that he could bring all the guitars to my apartment.Sorry no guitar test home delivery service.:dunno

2. Leif Johan

Leif Johan Member

One guy wanted me to drive for 2 hours to deliver a used $40 Boss BD2 pedal.

I told him I'd rather burn the pedal..

3. Flugel

Flugel Member

:rotflmao

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've done deals in MacDonald's parking lots, guitar store parking lots, someone's garage... That said, it's usually the seller that gets to pick the venue, since he's the one guaranteed to have something worth stealing. Not sure in this day of looky loos and time wasters that I'd drive very far unless I knew the guy or was headed out anyway...

5. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I have a history of jinxing myself with this type of statement but I have had nothing but positive experiences buying & selling to individuals, including using eBay and Reverb.

In the pre-internet days I even had good experiences at Sam Ash and GC but much of that was down to being knowledgeable (more so than the sales rep), realistic on pricing and not attempting to trade-in or sell gear to them beforehand (see also: vehicle purchasing).

The only times I've goofed is when new-toy syndrome overtook me....I bought a Am Std Strat that felt feather-light in the store thanks to GAS endorphins but I soon realized it was a boat anchor.

Being skeptical has its occasional drawbacks but usually prevents letdowns. Similarly, giving warts-and-all descriptions and photos of gear prevents any disputes after the fact.

6. guitz

guitz Member

same here mostly... near 100% positive local and online...only hitch was a lost fedex item that I got re-imbursed on and one local item wasn't as described, as a buyer, but far away mostly all very positive and I've bought and sold a TON of stuff..

7. G Man

G Man Member

I posted a WTB here and on a couple of other forums. I got a reply with pics of one of my own guitars being offered as for sale from the sender. Nice try fawkface.

8. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I traded an amp and cash for a guitar to a guy I've done a few deals with in the past. I paid $300 for the amp when I bought it used. A few months later, I see my amp on CL for sale - at the same price I paid originally, but he was including a very nice custom cover and a stand. So, I bought it back, and still have it. Saved me a decent amount of cash.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Bought my wife a new keyboard on CL a couple of months ago. We drove an hour and met the guy in a Starbucks so we could plug it in. Staff were completely cool with us.

15 minutes and two lattes later, we were headed home with new keys. Guy even gave use $20 back since we did all the driving. Win win! :beer

10. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I've had good experiences except for when I tried to sell a guitar to someone I knew through guitar seminars. I spent an hour cooling my heels in a guitar store parking lot and returned home to an email about how he stopped for gas, put his cash-filled belly pack in the front seat of his convertible, and someone on a motorbike sailed through and stole it. Um, right. I added this to the list of reasons why I don't do in-person sales anymore.

11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Now that I think of it, I've gotten the " My car just broke down today, can't buy our guitar" spiel once.

12. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

C-List, of course. Buyer asks if I can bring the guitar to his house, he doesn't have a car. I actually had errands to run, and he was close, so it wasn't a big deal, but it was a start.

Then he asks if he can change the action, and again, it's fine, and as long as he doesn't make a mess, go ahead. He didn't really change anything significantly, just a quarter turn or less here or there, he was trying to make me think he was a 'pro'.

Then he asks if he can take it and play it at his gig that night. "If you buy it you can play it whenever you want." He wasn't sure if the neck profile would be a problem after 2 sets. I said "at this price, you could play it for 2 sets or 2 years and still get your money back when you sell it." He wouldn't commit to buying it, so I took it home.

He called 3 days later, offering me less. I told him it sold (it did) for the full asking price the day after he passed on it.

13. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

I'm done with Craigslist and local meets. I've had a few okay experiences but after recently putting a guitar up for sale, all I've received are trade offers (despite saying NO TRADES in the listing) and scam inquiries wanting me to accept a check and then ship it to them.

It's eBay or shop trade-ins from now on.

14. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I had a guy stand me up on a craigslist deal three times trying to buy a cheap bass I had up for grabs...third time he calls me... 15 minutes late...

"OH MAN I JUST BROKE MY TOOTH I CANT BUY THE BASS CUZ DENTISTS AND STUFF!??"
    all freaking out...
    then proceeds to state...
    "But I just got into town, and you sound really cool... can we jam sometime?"
    huh...?!?!?!
    I kindly said "No thanks and best of luck"
    What I really wanted to do is knock out his other teeth!!@!# ;)

On normal deals, I meet up at starbucks they have exterior cameras. Not many weird deals at all... But the weird ones get weird!

15. scott944

scott944 Member

I'm sure this is old news to many, but I just discovered the wonderful world of Facebook-based gear selling/trading sites. There are at least 3 in my area. In the last couple of months I've sold some pickups and a pedal, and bought a pair of nearly new Warehouse Guitar Speakers. All deals done in person, in parking lots in broad daylight. Met some nice folks. And those speakers, a Reaper and a Veteran 30, are all kinds of awesome, especially for $90 for the pair!