temperature and humidity control in your studio

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by baald, May 24, 2006.

1. baald

baald Member

I'm trying to figure out how worried I should be about climate control in my studio. Especially with a new Koll coming.

The studio is somewhat like a garage -- its an external building in the back yard and as of yet has no heat/ac. It is stick construction, walls and ceiling insulated, drywall/T&G pine over the insulation. Two of the walls are cinder block (sealed and painted). The floor is pavers over slab. This is only coming up now as we've used the space primarilly as storage since moving in about 6 months ago, but now we're ina sprint to finish it so it'll act as a studio/office (immanent stork arrival hastening our work :) ) Optimally i'd like to leave all of my guirtars out of their cases and on the wall.

I do plan on getting a temp/humidity logger and mapping out what the fluctuations look like, but that won't do me much good if i don't know what rates of change -- or absolute values -- will make my guitars (especially nitro finished ones) unhappy. So, any input or advice appreciated -- i don't want to waste any more energy heating/cooling the space than necessary.

thanks
    baald

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Optimum humidity is about 45%. But low humidity is usually what hurts guitars. Ideal temperture about 72 degrees. And Personally I think guitars should be kept in their cases when they're not being played. That protects them from dust, sunlight, and possible accidents etc.. Also try to keep them a way from windows, heaters, vents etc..

3. baald

baald Member

i guess what i'm after is how much variance is ok? IE, i might have a average of 70^, but if it rises to 80 in the afternoon and sinks to 60 at night, is that ok? If my interior humidity tracks my outside humidity because the structure isn't perfectly airtight, is that ok? Should I worry about a variance of 5% RH per day, or just worry about 20%+ ?

I understand about keeping in the case, but that limits my playing as well as my very limited interior space (i'm not a once a week, play for 4 hours straight type.....i'm very much a waork from home, play for 10 minutes every hour instead of a cigarettte break kinda guy...)

thanks

4. cubado

cubado Member

hmmm... i am curious about this also.... anybody!

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I'm not sure about the temperature variations. But I think it's the high temperatures that could do the most harm. Really high temperatures could loosen the glue. 80 degrees shouldn't do this though. And really low humidy say around 25% or lower could cause cracks.

For more information you could google piano care. Remember they're made of wood. And they have a lot of strings on them. Their advice could be applied to guitar.