'Temporal Parallax' polychromatic composition by Dolores Catherino

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by phretbored, Mar 24, 2015.

1. phretbored

phretbored Member

what is this instrument ?

i think those doodz in the Star Wars cantina should totally get one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I'll check this out when I'm not on my phone. The instrument is probably just a controller with multiple buttons for every note(I assume for different temperaments).

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Ah, the Terpstra keyboard, which I thought was dead in the water, but apparently the inventors are more stubborn than I thought. I first heard of that thing in 2002. It's been over 10 years, so who can blame anyone for assuming the project was dead. There's an update from early February, 2015 about some progress in the manufacturing process.

http://terpstrakeyboard.com/

I dig the music btw. Reminds me of Allan Holdsworth's SynthAxxe stuff. It's in 108-tone equal temperament. Upon close listening, one can hear the difference compared to the standard 12-tone.

4. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

That's really cool. In the right hands, some truly original and astounding music could be made with that.

5. phretbored

phretbored Member

hey what have you got against the wrong hands ?

6. phretbored

phretbored Member

anything with temporal or parallax in the name is always worth checking out in my experience

yeah liked the music in the video it

and it would be cool to hear in different musical settings

7. stevel

stevel Member

I find pitch to be but one small aspect of music. People focus too much IMHO on temperaments and tuning. IOW most of the things I hear like this are simply "regular old music played out of tune" if you will. Simply composing in a different temperament, or a mistuning, or even microtonally doesn't, IMO, add to the music. It was kind of like when the Theremin was invented - it could do all these amazing glissandi and any pitch you wanted, yet people just wrote and performed standard old late Romantic period schmalz for it (and that style was already old-fashioned by that time).

I'd love to hear music composed for an instrument like this that really takes advantage of the "polychromatic" capabilities. Likewise, I'd like to hear maybe some rhythmic activity, and form, and texture, etc.

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I had a similar opinion until I studied Persian classical music and learned some melodies and scales with quarter-tones in them.

9. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Thanks, that was really cool sounding. Found this in the menu of suggested vids.