Terry Kath and a Les Paul Recording

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

2. emjee

emjee Member

Yeah! I saw that last week when I heard Marc Bonilla was playing with a newly formed "CTA" (formerly "Chicago") and went to utube. Whatta kickass axe! Whatta kickass player! That guy was fantastic, I never realized it was him doing all that lead work AND singing too. Did you see the clip on there where he plays that tele with all the stickers on it? I havent seen anyone else play a LP like that one.
    Some great clips! Thanks fore the heads up!

MG

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Dumbest rock death ever tho'!

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Saw Chicago twice in the early 70's Terry Kath was famous for his Les Paul Recording, a band mate bought one, and the first night of playing it was totally wiped by the weight, he started sitting in a chair the damn guitar was so heavy, he traded it in for a nice tobacco burst LP as I recall.

The LP recording is walnut as I recall, they were always natuaral finished, I think that was to save on the weight LOL

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

As far as Terry Kath playing Russian Roulette and lossing, that was one of the more stupid deaths,

6. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

I dont think it was russian roulette, per se. It wasn't a revolver, IIRC. It was some variety of Baretta, where he pulled the clip and failed to check the chamber for a round.

7. jay42

jay42 Member

I think he used that guitar on the Live At Carnegie Hall set. At least that's what the poster showed.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Terry Kath made Chicago a ROCK band, IMHO. Without him Chicago was just a horn section.

9. big e

big e Member

Just so happens I have an original Guitar Player Mag, 1971 edition with Terry on the cover with the L.P. Recording. In his interview he sites using a "Knight" guitar as his "go to" guitar. He doesn't elaborate on what it is, I assume a custom made guitar? He also mentions using two Dual Showmans with cabs although when I saw him around 1973 he was using the Acoustic cabs and he is most often seen with Acoustic cabs.........don't know what amp head is pushing them. Love his playing.

10. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Actually he played a LP Professional, the prededessor of the Recording model.
    As to his death, you must keep things in perspective. In the late 60's/early 70's, what actually happened & what was on the police report, could be quite a bit different. Especially when it involved celebrities or politicians...especially in Chicago!(I was born & lived there until I was 39)
    It was a LOT easier to keepthings hushed up,way back when...
    Tony

11. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Whatever you do, don't buy one. They sound awful.

12. snarkle

snarkle Member

Yep, that's definiitely a Les Paul Professional...a slightly bigger guitar than the Recording, with a rounder lower horn and generally a darker finish—"walnut" as opposed to "natural mahogany".

I have to disagree about their utility, though; while they won't give you the classic Les-Paul-with-humbuckers rock oomph, they have great "glassy" cleans and can get quite jazzy, if you roll the treble off the neck pickup.

I've owned a couple of Recordings and one Professional (quite a rare guitar) and I kind of miss them...but not their 10-pound-plus weight!

13. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

In an interview Jimi Hendrix was asked who was his favorite guitarist and he stated "I wish I could play like Terry Kath"!! When I read that I was blown away, Jimi was considered to be greatest of his generation so he must of thought highly of Terry Kath.

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have never seen that kind of LP, angled fretboard and all. Anything else interesting about the design???

15. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Terry was the SOUL of Chicago. Check out this clip. That's some awesome comping.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fH37jdpuCTs

As far as I'm concerned Chicago died with Terry Kath. Bill Champlin's a great guitar player, singer and organist but his work with the Sons is much better than latter day Chicago.

16. KLB

KLB Member

Thanks for the post. That was a fun trip down memory lane.

Big Terry Kath fan here! When I was a teenager, I loved the Chicago Transit Authority double album set. The follow up Chicago II with "25 or 6 to 4" was another constant favorite.

I am the original owner of a 1969 Gibson Les Paul Professional like Terry played. They made them for 2 or 3 years, and not very many at that. Yes, it is a heavy son of a gun, weighing 10.9 lbs. The clean tones are awesome, distorted tones less so, but still good, as evidenced by the clip posted above. The body is two pieces of mahogany laminated lengthwise across the entire surface rather than a split down the middle. The original neck was extremely fat. I had it shaved a bit, but it's still a fat neck.

17. Roark

Roark Member

They made these in a bass guitar as well, same weight, heavy suckers.

18. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Terry was incredible. I remain sad that he's gone, however it happened.

And flame me if you wish, but I'd rather listen to him a dozen times than Jimi. But I'm just a white guy, what do you expect?

You can hear that glassy rhythm sound he was getting all over the old albums - I love that sound. I assume it was the Recording from the old GP interview.

I never did figure out what the Knight guitar was. Truly custom guitars were not common back in those days.

Greg

19. gillibi

gillibi Member

Knight was the brand of amp he was using back in the day, not guitar.

20. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Terry died in Malibu California I believe. He's one of my all time favorite guitar players.