Terry McInturff Spellcaster

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by skydog, May 18, 2020.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Many thanks for your question!
    The sentence that you quoted refers to the fact that I use a modified version of the original idea that Lloyd Loar & Co. came up with at Gibson in 1924...the curved single-action truss rod. I'm a huge fan of that style of truss rod, but it takes a good bit of finagling to get it right.

The fact that it is curved means that less torque is required for the rod to move the neck; and in addition, one has a bit of ability to locate the area of maximum "push" as well as some control over the nature of the "taper"...this all refers to where the rod exhibits the most force and how that force is distributed. This is controlled by the exact shape and depth of the truss rod channel.

The nature of all of this has to work in a very symbiotic, planned way with certain other aspects of the neck, in order that "good internal stress" (planned) rules the day whilst "bad internal stress"(unplanned) remains negated. The shape/depth of the TCM truss rod channel would not be ideal for a straightforward trad neck design/build schedule.

2. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

Cool, are you still using carbon fiber rods in addition?

Terry McInturff likes this.
  3. Terry McInturff

No, those went by the wayside about 14 years ago (or however long ago 2006 was lol!)

4. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

Seems like a lifetime ago...

5. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yep - neck and tuning stability on McInturff guitars is tops. Crazy-great.

6. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

Terry, it would be great for you to do a similar video with a Spellcaster.

7. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

This guitar really oozes the love it was crafted with.

8. JKjr

JKjr Member

I'm locked in. I'm bored. Inquiring minds need to know.
    I love Terry's Axes. I have four. So I wade into stacks of cases. Carolina? G out just a hair. Royal? Perfect. Polaris? I don't think I've ever changed strings on this beast. They must be 20 yrs old. It works so well with that old string sound I'm not gonna touch it till one breaks. I think Terry probably restrung it last. But I digress;it was perfect as well. I was really disappointed with the Empress: I had to tweak both the b and e. Scandalous!

In addition to tuning stability it's worth pointing out how crisply they intonate everywhere on the neck. Play five chord inversions and all of them sound right. The only downside to that is they're kinda like a tele; When you get it right it's wonderful, but you better keep your clams in your pocket.

9. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

Love that line! I've always loved the Fender scale, and struggled to adapt my occasional use to the shorter scale employed by Gibsons. I like that with Terry's older designs he had that in between zone which brought great playability and articulation. Still rocking 4 TCMs myself... Polaris, Royal, FLE II, and TerryCaster. Only one I've had "trouble" with is is the polaris. I wore out the strap button. :(

10. JKjr

JKjr Member

Well you know Terry only uses cheap shyte parts. :)

11. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

It’s great to hear the Maxi-Q Terry.

As you asked, can I offer some feedback on the video?

-First I think you can say more. You have a huge amount of knowledge and one reason I think many people will watch your videos is to learn. Also while you were demonstrating the Maxi-Q I can hear the changes but I don’t know what you’re doing. It would have been helpful if you’d said for example “and now turning the high pass down to 6...” so we get a sense of how it operates.

-I think you can go longer. The sweet spot seems to be around 8-12 minutes (though you might want to experiment as it’ll be different for different audiences) so there’s room for more explanation. Some people prefer more playing, some more talking, again you’ll want to experiment.

-I’d recommend being careful not to be too ‘salesy’. I don’t think you are being here but worth bearing in mind. People tend to turn away if they feel they are being sold to. If you think of it more like sharing your knowledge, like you did in your previous Ask Terry posts on here, the sales will naturally follow.

-The quality of the videos will come as you get more experienced, but the area to focus on for the most easily realised gains is the lighting. Just being in a brighter environment will improve things already.

Best of luck and I’m looking forward to the next instalment!

[By the way I’m not in video production so can’t offer much more advice there, but I am a marketing/advertising/media strategist by trade so if you’d like any more advice on how to get the most out of your videos then I’d be happy to help.]

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  12. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't blame you for being a bit bummed, brother. How in the heck could the strap button wear out on a guitar that's only 20-25 years old?

:D

13. Terry McInturff

Many thanks to you, our very own @Corinthian ....and to all who have offered such kind words about my work. The friends I have made via my job mean more to me than the guitars by far...thank you all.

@Corinthian , your observations and advice are so very welcome. I very much appreciate your comments, sir!
    I do always wish to share what I know and this applies to your suggestion that I talk more, and explain. I've gotten conflicting info on this regarding a good demo..."less talk, more playing" many say, whilst others like you encourage more talking. I'd like to find the right balance between the two and that will take practise! So I'll be trying to mix-it-up at my "Terry McInturff's Guitar Shop" YouTube channel.

larry1096 and Corinthian like this.
  14. Terry McInturff

Man, my head be hanging' low in shame and remorse :( :D:D:D

Teleplayer likes this.
  15. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

There is definitely a sweet spot between too much and too little talking and people will disagree exactly where that is. I think though the “more playing, less talking” advice applies more for people reviewing gear from other companies. I’ve probably already done some reading about the pedal/pickup/whatever before watching the review so I don’t need the reviewer to to repeat what is available elsewhere. I just want to hear it. I think in your case it’s a little different because the information is straight from the horses mouth as it were. So I wouldn’t worry about being too verbose.

16. Terry McInturff

Thanks so much for your support....and for this post, monsieur!

"When you get it right it's wonderful, but you better keep your clams in your pocket."
    I love that so much! I do love all voices on guitars, for what they do best, and one of those "natures" is the nature of the right sort of articulation.

Looking back years I see that I spent quite a bit of time on that "articulate nature", learning how to do that; it sounded too strident at first..and it took me a good while to find the way to make "articulate" sound "natural"...and there's plenty of shades "natural". Finding-out how to make a guitar that was both "deeply warm, and articulate", for example....that took a good bit of work to get-going the way that I heard it.

Aside from the friends to be made, IMO the biggest reward of this sort of career is that fact that it is impossible to... in one lifetime...learn everything that there is to know about even the humble, simple and primal Telecaster!

No doubt via my posts on TGP I can come across as a know-it-all, etc ad nauseum. But my repeated posts regarding things are indeed a result of my ongoing love for the subject...and so y'all can see that I am a very lucky man! I wake up in the morning and I can go to work and learn something new after 43 years full-time on the job! I mean...c'mon!!!! :)

AND....I learn from y'all here at TGP regularly! I mean...c'mon!!!! :)

skydog and babbyb like this.
  17. Balance

Balance Member

Terry, one thing I'd find useful is if you put the different tones into a musical context. Maybe a tune featuring a Page tele tone, then a different tune with a Clapton woman tone, then another where Angus Young would feel at home. Or music featuring three entirely different tones. I'm not that picky. It might just be that I don't have a good enough tonal imagination to put the different tones into context myself, but I'd find something like that informative in conjunction with hearing the EQ range of the controls.

18. Terry McInturff

That's a very valuable suggestion; many thanks for that!

How would it work if I were playing against a recorded rhythm track?
    I could see doing a series of those, if it would demo the Maxi-Q most effectively!

The only thing that I would want to avoid, would be to go "wanking-off" with any sort of displays of instrumental prowess, chops, etc....I see so many videos in which the player shreds all over the place, great gymnastic skills without playing music..I instantly change the channel....perhaps best to play as simply as possible, so that everyone can HEAR what the filters are doing...instead of yet another fella who isn't Jeff Beck, et al ?

19. Balance

Balance Member

That's how I imagine you would do it. I'd trust that the complexity of the playing would take a backseat to showing off the available tones.

20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

What do you do for a living and how can I do it?

JWes65 likes this.