Test driving a Super Champ XD ('jazz' clean) + other stuff

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by ivers, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ivers

ivers Member

Channel one on the amp, into Sennheiser e906 mike, into FMR Really Nice Preamp. I turned down the gtr tonecontrol a bit more than usual, and had the amp at more bass than treble, so the sound got pretty dark, but I feel this setup is promising for home recording use...

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6211596&q=hi

Backing is just a basic drum groove, and then bass thrown in after I'd recorded the guitar.

I have already embarked on the search for usable od for recording as well, but that usually demands quite a bit more playing around with stuff than cleans. The first takes I did were disappointing, but that was a TS-808 into channel 1, and perhaps I'll have more luck with the channel 2 settings on the amp.

2. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

wow, very nice stuff! very good playing - hopefully I will get there someday ... :messedup

as far as recording overdrive tones (especially low volume amp settings with od pedals) - I've never really recorded any tones on my mac that I like... It does sound awesome in the room, but I can't get that tone on tape(well,... harddrive).
    On the other hand, I don't have a dedicated micpreamp (just a crappy tascam US-122) and only use a sm57 (bought it because everybody said it was THE standard mic), but I can't get a good od sound on tape. maybe we can share some insights on how to... ?!

3. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Beautiful playing!!

Nice tones too

Having trouble with the 57 - I like them good mic's what's the prob? how are you positioning it? 30 degree angle half way bewteen cone and centre sems to work nicley for me, but I guess thee are a lot of variables......

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Can't that over that you threw in the bass~after~
    you layed down the guitar ...

Your chordal work is always so cool Ivers ... as is your playing ...
    Always get excited when I see you've posted something ..

5. ivers

ivers Member

Thanks! I *think* the preamp was a very good investment, but I have some other new stuff I'm trying out at the same time, so I don't know exactly which variables do what.

6. ivers

ivers Member

Thanks for the kind words, man! If you use a 57, then they're probably not too bad, because you always have good tone.

7. ivers

ivers Member

Thanks so much, Joseph... cool that you noticed the chordal stuff, because I'm more influenced by piano players, and polyphonic guitar players, than single notes guitar or sax players, at least for my clean and acoustic stuff... with od, I tend to gravitate more to ideas from the realm of single note rock, blues and fusion guitar.

8. ivers

ivers Member

9. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Ivers,

First of all, really cool playing as usual. I love champs but never tried any of the new stuff. This sounds great!

Chuck

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo Ivers .. SMOKIn" ... did you hear moi' .. SMOKIN' ..

Those are some great lines ...
    That's so damn good man ...

Gotta get out my axe & sit with some of those ..
    You remind me of what Weber's right hand might sound like if it played an overdriven Tele ...

11. garyh

garyh Member

That was really cool. Dug it a lot. Quite the jazz tone for a tele. Love the rhythms in your phrasing; where you put the accents.

12. ivers

ivers Member

Thanks so much, guys... btw, the second one (od) is through a Marshall JCM 800 1936 cabinet instead of the speaker on the amp. Kinda dug that combination.

13. ivers

ivers Member

So, I took out my old Takamine electric cutaway classical, and ran it through the 'acoustic' setting on the SCXD, to capture some ideas I had for a little ditty... was surprised that I got a tone that inspired me, because I've had bad luck with recording directly through the internal mike of the Takamine before, due to some horrible sh!t going on in the upper frequencies.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6271453&q=hi

Hope ya like!

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! Always dig listening to you play man! :AOK

15. scottl

scottl Member

Ivers! That was killing... You are really developing into a world class monster!! Loved it......