Tested out some Peavey amps today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nickcmanning, Jun 24, 2008.

1. nickcmanning

nickcmanning Member

I went there to try out the Peavey ValveKing 112 and the 212 also. I was suprised at how nice the sound was. The clean wasn't too, too impressive. Clean was just clean but the lead channel blew me away. It had the ability to scream without being too much and losing the dignity of the notes.

I also played the JSX halfstack. Idk if you know Satriani's stuff but obviously if it has satriani's name on it...its gotta be pretty good. I was impressed with the JSX. Although i didnt play it for very long. I was there more to look at the Valveking because im considering buying one.

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Valve King - awful amp, built very poorly, IMHO of course.

3. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I had one for a week or two. It sounded decent. It's one of the best bang for the buck amps available. What I didn't like about it was it didn't come with a footswitch. So I ordered one. It was alot of money like $45 from peavey. I found out later that a generic footswitch will do the job for half the price. So when I finally got the the footswitch, I discovered there was a momentary dead spot upon switching ch's. This was not going to work for me in a live situation. I called Peavey and they said that an authorized service center could do a mod to fix the problem. I called an authorized service center and they said, they were unaware of the mod. So I returned the amp, returned the footswitch and moved on to another bang for the buck amp and that's another story. I wonder if they fixed the problem since then cause this was a first run amp and the hype was flying high.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

IMO, Save your money for the new Bogner Alchemist. Like many, I started out on peavey amps (early 90's) and they were good entry level amps. But I think their entry level stuff has been going downhill in recent years like so many other well known brands. They have outsourced so many components to the lowest bidder that there's no way the QC can be anything but moderate..IMO

If the amp is only going to see light duty work and no gigging.. aka long sessions where parts are really getting hot, moving it around alot from gig to gig in and out of a trailer or car or be in a situation where if it fails you're dealing with an angry bar manager you'll probably be OK with most entry level tube amps.

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

You can't go wrong with the Peavey Classic series ...
    Not entry level amps whatsoever, but realtime pro-gigging amps with great cleans
    and good OD channels ...

6. el greco

el greco Member

:agree
    Peavey Classic 50/212, good tone, can take abuse, not expensive and made in the USA.

7. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I considered the Valve King 112, but I went with the Palomino V32 instead.