Tested Scuffham - impressed

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by finngear1001, Jul 24, 2013.

1. finngear1001

finngear1001 Member

Just tested S-Gear and even it only has few amps and efx it very well bends to many styles. I'm desperately trying to find an alternative to buying an iPad because I'm an oldtimer with pc's (from Roger Powell Texture..) and I have pc-stuff all over. I bought an iPod 4 last just to test things and got hooked and booked. But the problem is that I can use a pc for several years and that Apple stuff - a new model every year and old stuff gets obsolete. But man, they sound good and are easy to use...

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Glad to hear you like S-Gear. It's fantastic and can cover almost any genre.

I'm sorry but that statement is completely wrong. I've got a 2006 MacPro and it runs extremely well and I record, mix and master on Logic Pro all the time. Macs absolutely are not obsoleted every year. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Any Mac you buy now will easily serve you well for 6+ years.

3. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Supporting Member

First - I'll chime in and say S-Gear is nice but ..that's the problem I have with it. It always sounds "nice". I can't make it sound aggressive.

Second - I have a 2007-era MacPro (Quad Core Xeon) and it has yet to choke on very complex projects. Also, if you accept the premise - how is Apple's year-to-year "obsolescence" different from any other computer manufacturer?

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Actually, with every new version of specific hardware, Apple increases the power and functionality but not the price. So for the same money, you continually get more.

When you say 'aggressive' can you give a musical example?

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Ive already tested and its ok, but nothing above a good comparable software modeler can do already.

6. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I like it a lot. I just wish it had a built-in compressor block.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Many users have asked for that so it's likely to come in an update. In a recording setting, you can use your DAW's comps, which are all better than a stomp box comp. It's likely S-Gear's comp will be higher quality and more flexible than a stomp box comp too.

8. adjeff2706

adjeff2706 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

:agree

9. jchan

jchan Member

Any thoughts on an S-gear iPad app? I love S-gear on my home iMac and would consider trying S-gear live if there was an iPad version & controller available.