• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Testing a set of Ron Ellis 64s pickups on my SVL 61 Reserve

argbluesman

Hello all,

Not sure this is the right place, but I wanted to share a video I made, trying (poorly) to demonstrate a set of Ron Ellis 64s that I installed on my SVL 61 Reserve.

If inappropriate, I apologize.

Cheers!

Cliffhydro

Silver Supporting Member
Hello all,

Not sure this is the right place, but I wanted to share a video I made, trying (poorly) to demonstrate a set of Ron Ellis 64s that I installed on my SVL 61 Reserve.

If inappropriate, I apologize.

Cheers!

That sounds killer. Nice video.

argbluesman

Are you still using them?
No. I went back to the Kleins. I like them better for this particular guitar. The 64s were, for my taste, to brittle and a bit thin.

I am waiting for a set that Jim Rolph is winding for me, a 1961 set. I opened a thread asking, and ended up talking with him on the phone and ordering. Still maybe a few more weeks to wait.

Tonefree

Gold Supporting Member
Where is this list?
Strats
For the Strat's, I offer 4 different sets.. the '54, '59, Mid '60, and the 50/60's. The '54, '59 and Mid '60 sets are exact recreations of the old vintage Strat pickups as they changed throughout the '50s and '60s. The 50/60's are a hybrid set that I created to take the best of the early '50s and combine with the '60s sound. They are very balanced and useable throughout the tonal range.

I think this changes some as the ‘64s are not mentioned. I think he offers a ‘57 which is the same as the ‘59…

argbluesman

Where is this list?
He sends the customer the list when they contact them.

Here it goes:

Telecaster Sets
Our Tele bridge offerings include the era correct 52T, 50B, 60T, and 50/60T.
  •  52T is THE Blackguard sound, smokey, woody, and wiry. Has the classic beautiful compression, bloom, and overall feel. This pickup covers a wide range of classic Tele sounds.
  •  50B has a nice harmonic and musical “hair" that surrounds the fundamental notes. It has a little more in the upper mids and top end vs the standard 52T Blackguard. Yet it retains all the beautiful Blackguard era pickup compression and bloom on the notes. This pickup reproduces the original Broadcaster specifications.
  •  60T has a more fundamental sound and feel than the 52T. It has the classic authoritative late 50’s to mid-60’s sound and feel, yet still retains a beautiful bell like sound. The 60T is representative of the classic bakersfield whitetop sound, a true rock n’ roll staple.
  •  50/60T is a blend of the 52T and 60T in one pickup. It has a more fundamental sound and feel on the E, A and D strings. Yet, it maintains beautiful compression, bloom, and pliability on the G, B and E strings. This pickup offers the “best of both worlds” of the 52T and 60T.
    Our Tele neck offerings include the Standard Plus, Standard Plus JL, and Mid Tall.
  •  Standard Plus is the most vintage like Tele neck sound. It has warmth, clarity, depth and an
    overall great feeling tone.
  •  Standard Plus JL is a lower wound version made for Julian Lage, to replicate the neck
    pickup in his 1954 Tele. He is currently using the JL in two of his Nachocaster Teles. It has nice scooped mids and is a bit more pronounced high and low frequencies.
  •  Mid Tall has extended upper mids and clarity on top of the classic vintage tone. It makes a classic Tele sound a bit more Stratlike. This extended range makes the Mid Tall a very versatile pickup.
    Please specify both a bridge and neck pickup when ordering. All combinations work well together as a set.
Stratocaster Sets
Our Strat offerings include era correct 54S, 57S, 64S, sets as well as the Mid 60s and 50/60s sets.
  •  54S set is an accurate recreation of the first year Strat pickups. Early Strat pickups used a different type magnet, magnet stagger and wind pattern than the later versions. This set has nice compression and bloom on the notes, resulting in a beautiful harmonic note quality. They have a great vintage feel under your fingers.
  •  57S set has the classic mid to late 50’s tone. Think Jimmy Vaughan, Anson Funderburgh, to current Josh Smith and Kirk Fletcher sound. They are clear and vibrant sounding; yet retain a sweet and bell-like tone.
  •  64S set has the classic early to mid-60’s Strat sound. They are a bit rounder and deeper sounding on the notes than the 57 set. This set was designed using measurements taken from the pickups in Doyle Bramhall II’s original ‘64 Strat. Doyle, Kirk Fletcher and a number of Nashville and L.A. artists are using the 64S.
  •  Mid 60S set is a fatter wound version of the 64S set. This provides a punchier tone and more mid-range compared to the 64 set. This set has the Stevie Ray Vaughan true Texas tone.
  •  50/60S set is a blend of the best of the 54 and 64 sets combined in one. This is one of my most versatile and popular sets of pickups. They have a tight punchy sound on the E, A and D strings and a beautiful compression and bloom on the G, B and E strings. These sound great in any Strat wood combination because of their beautiful overall string and pickup balance. The 50/60S has the John Mayer tone written all over them.
P90 Sets
Our P90 sets include the 50P and 60P.
  •  50P are the lower wind 50’s style P90s. They have a clear single note sound with a harmonic musical “hair” surrounding the fundamental notes. The 50P produces a beautiful harmonic and rich sound. Early P90s are some of the most musical and fun to play pickups ever made and the 50P recreates this accurately. They deliver that sweet classic sound and feel of the 50’s and early 60’s rock and roll.
  •  The 60P slightly bumps up the mid-range and overall output levels. These have the classic 60’s and 70’s rock and roll sound. The 60P drives the front end of the amp a bit harder than the 50P set. These are a little darker on the notes and have a fuller overall sound.
    Please specify either Soapbar or Dogear style cover and a color. These come in black, white or cream. The covers are exact duplicates of original P90 sets.
Humbucker Sets

Our Humbucker sets include the LRP and Signature sets.
Our PAF nickel silver covers are historically correct. Specify covered or uncovered and for uncovered the desired color combination. Color combinations include black & black bobbin and black & cream for uncovered.
  •  The LRP set was first produced for the 2012 Lee Roy Parnell Signature Les Paul. I worked with Lee Roy and the Gibson custom shop to design a replica of the PAF’s that were in Duane Allman’s original ‘57 Goldtop Les Paul. This same set of pickups was later installed into Duane’s ‘59 Cherry Burst Les Paul. The LRP pickups have the classic, clear, articulate, and harmonically rich authentic PAF sound.
  •  The Signature set is my own recipe in creating the ultimate Humbucker style pickup. I’ve always preferred PAFs that have a clear single coil sound and feel. The Signature set produces less mid-range content and signal going into the front end of the amp. The Signature set uses a unique recipe to deliver the best of the best PAF sound and feel.
    When deciding between the LRP and Signature sets, the LRPs have more of a traditional old
    PAF sound. The LRPs have more mid-range content and deliver a stronger signal into the front of the amp.
    The Signature set has a more even frequency response and lower output going into the amp. They combine the great Humbucker harmonic complexity and the feel and clarity of single coils.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom