Teuffel Birdfish value

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BJ Yoon, Oct 23, 2008.

1. BJ Yoon

BJ Yoon Member

Recently, I am thinking of parting with my Birdfish so I would like to ask about its value if there's someone knows about it.
    Any reply would be appreciated. :)

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've seen 'em go as high as $180 - $200, but I'll give you $225 for it! ;)

Sigh... Don't know the going rate, but I'd love to have one...

3. Melj

Melj Member

Golden Age have D Torn's old one for sale, that might be a starter for 10 for guessing prices.

I'd be interested in one if it was within my price range, feel free to PM me :)

4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Such a strange "bird", but I'd venture a great musical instrument as well. I'd love one, but they're probably in the 8-10g range, so they're out of mine.
    Post a pic before you sell if you can.

5. DamianP

DamianP Member

I have to admit I could be tempted. Probably the only guitar I would ever consider buying.

Damian.

6. BJ Yoon

BJ Yoon Member

Thanks for the input, guys.
    Here's a couple of pics of my Bird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Melj

Melj Member

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Fine Guitar Consultants have several of his instruments both new and used for sale.

9. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

Like always the worth a guitar depends on the demand :)
    The last birdfish on ebay was offered around 8000-9000 $ but the auction was canceled quickly.
    Another one went for around 8000 $ two months ago. It was sold by a German guy with 0 fedback on ebay.com, so you could not call it an average offer (although it seemed to went smoothly in the end). It even came with the midi upgrade + bag + case, so again not your usual offer.
    The birdfish went through several revisions, so people might be willing to offer different prices for different versions.
    Your birdfish seems to be an early model since it comes with a bone nut and the old headpiece instead of the newer and much more expansive one (see the Teuffel site for more information). So most likely your birdfish might also lack the newer and much lighter 2 way trussrod, the improved fingerboard and the different constructed bird and fish.
    I do not know what changes happened on the electronic side.
    Although some people claim that a birdfish is imposible to get, Ulrich Teuffel still builts them with a waiting time of around 8 months. And it will most likely still take some time until all 500 units have been sold. So it is not a rare guitar.
    Concluding I would say that the price depends on who is looking for a birdfish.
    Players would most likely prefer a newer model and therefore offer less money for your guitar, collectors might look for an early model which is no longer built this way.
    Hope that helps.

10. BJ Yoon

BJ Yoon Member

Thanks doc,
    I have learned a lot from your post. Very helpful to me.

11. ponk

ponk Member

Hi BJ

do you still have your Birdfish. I'm looking for one......

I can't open the pic's that where in the post. So if you still have it ca you sent me them and all other info about the guitar

thanks Rik

12. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

The guitar was sold but is again available.
    Look in the emporium.

13. garyguitarguy

garyguitarguy Member

Hi everybody,

there's my Birdfish on German ebay for sale. It's an early piece #036 and it's the only one out of the series that's not chrome-plated. It's a player but in good condition. there're a lot of fotos and a complete description of the guitar:
    Ebay#190277039816

I got a lot more pictures of the guitar - feel free to email me, if you're interested.

check it out!!!

Greetz, Gary

14. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

Great guitar and great pictures!

15. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

From the eBay posting--"this instrument the only copy of the series without the usual chrome-plating (excluding five prototypes - four of which are still in the possession of Ulrich Teuffel)"

Well, I think this is the "one that got away"....

Note the "natural" wooden tone bars (pre-colors) and no chrome plating. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

16. garyguitarguy

garyguitarguy Member

17. garyguitarguy

garyguitarguy Member

hey clemduolian, thanks for that picture!
    I can only tell you what Ulrich told me about.
    The wooden tonebars a pretty cool, but they seem to be refinished by someone else, cause Teuffel's signature is missing... Looks like this is the missing one. The funny thing is, that Ulrich told who's the owner of the fifth non chrome plated prototype Birdfish and this is a guy from Germany who I know. So, either the chrome plate was worked off after sale or Ulrich is wrong and there are seven non chrome plated birdfishes altogether....?!

18. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Hi Gary:

This Birdfish was bought directly from Uli at NAMM. The tone bars (all 4) haven't been refinished...they're original. (Can't recall signatures...could be there). "Elvis" is/was the owner...he NEVER played it. I was lucky enough to play a couple of gigs with it. I wish I owned it. It played and sounded great. I got to configure it (pickup-wise) just about every way I thought made sense during the days I got to work with it. Elegant design...to say the least!!

19. garyguitarguy

garyguitarguy Member

Hi clemduolian!
    Thanks for you're reply.
    So, these are very interesting news and I don't know what to say. Uli told me about the five prototypes and my #036 Birdfish when I met him two weeks ago after refurbishing my Birdfish. He tought it could be a point of interrest for collectors to know that fact.
    I own a very early Tesla 7-String, too and I know Uli for about 13 years.
    I can't understand that he gave me wrong informations. Now it seems that I'm something like storyteller you can't take for serious.
    I'm sorry for that.

I'll contact him and ask him about what you told me. So, if there's something new, I'll post it here.

It's so great that you loved giggin' with the Birdfish. Same with me. I think most Birdfishes are collectors items and are not played. that's a shame, cause this guitar looks like a weapon and is definitely a weapon ;)

Greetz, Gary

20. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I moan every time I see a picture of a BirdFish (or a real one, for that matter). I love those guitars and hope someday to have a chance to spend quality time with one.