Teuffel? Steinberger? Trussart?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DucRyder, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I see elements of each in this thing... Here

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Besides the oddity of the shape, I'll be honest... I really don't see that much Teuffel in it... and besides the headstock (or lack of), I don't see the Steinberger, though I figure you were referring to the headstock when saying you see those particular elements in it. Lastly, besides it being owned by Mr.Trussart at some point, I don't see any correlation between that guitar and a Trussart.
    While I can really appreciate the Teuffel's, Steinberger's and Turssart's, this thing is just plain fugly, *IMO* :)

:messedup

4. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

So the price dropped from 10.000 $ to 9.000 $.
    Now it's a real bargain.
    It lacks the design quality of the Teuffel guitars, the artistry of the Trussart's and the innovation of Steinberger.
    It looks unusual in a strange 80ies kind of way and somehow "selfmade".
    And I wonder how you tune this beast without breaking your fingers or getting insane. Maybe it were the tuners which drove the maker nuts?

5. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Yep, headstock reminded me of the 'Berger. The pickups being blended into the body with the odd controls reminded me of the Teuffy and the fact that it's all metal reminded me of the Trussart.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Doesn't do a thing for me, unless you count a mild case of nausea.

7. motofuq

motofuq Member

Vincent Berton was not a 'luthier' in the classic sense, he was more of a sculptor. I have seen several of his guitars, all belonging to Trussart, and they are not to be compared to guitars made for playing.. IMO. His creations are beyond the realm of music, and cross somehow into the world of sorcery and alchemy. A VERY disturbed individual.. he made some instruments where the 'body' of the guitar is a exact cast of his fist.. in solid brass! You can't do that on a router table.. friends, you need to be DRIVEN to create such a piece. Maybe it isn't a very inspiring 'guitar', but as a work of art they unsurpassed, and certainly unique. Worth every centime.

8. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

when you say "and they are not to be compared to guitars made for playing.. " are you sayin they aren't very playable? this looks very playable. Did you get the opportunity to play any of them? I wonder how they sound, especially with the pickups buried in the body.

9. motofuq

motofuq Member

They're perfectly playable.. in a weird, heavy, Kahler loaded, 80's kind of way.. but not what I would consider a 'guitar' in any normal sense. Remember, these were hand-sculpted from solid chunks of brass, with handmade pickups, handmade cases, & like the Ad said.. handmade HINGES on handmade cases! I guess what I'm saying is, if you want a great guitar buy a Tele. These are works of art made by an extremely driven creative force.. who was beyond his time and his medium. His guitars were more weapons than instruments.

I know James was very close to Vincent.. and I also know he was blown away by what the guy could do with a few hand tools in a Paris basement.

It's still inspiring.

10. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

James still has two of these instruments, I saw them hanging above his fire place. One has a fist and the other is a sword, I have looked at them and you can see that the builder put a lot of effort into building them, they are definitely something special. I am heading out to James shop tomorrow, I will ask him about them when I get there and maybe take some pictures of the instruments.

I did a little search and there seems to be no info out there on Vincent. It is fascinating how a mans creations can carry on his memory after he is gone, this is one of the reasons I think people create things, particularly works of art.

Now I am curious about Vincent…

11. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Love to see more pics!

12. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

But still they are no sculptures but come in the form of an instrument. So they cannot be judged by creativity alone. They should also fullfill their role. Sadly the seller never made a comment about the sound quality of the guitar.

13. phantasm

phantasm Member

That whole guitar is made out of brass?

14. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

I doubt it.
    Then only ex-Pro wrestler turned into guitarist would be able to play it.

15. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

There's not much of a body there so it may be...

great for a Sid Vicious style wonking...

16. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

So it is not for ending up smashed on stage it is rather intended for ritually killing your bandmates with...:dude

17. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Amazing to me that someone took the time to build that. If it was made out of Steinberger's blend I'd have a go at it. I think its pretty cool looking.

I also see some Veleno in it.

18. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Tease...

19. bilbal

bilbal Member

I could buy 3 Trussarts like the one I just got for the price of that "thing" and I guarantee I would like them much, much better. I guess I miss the appeal, shame on me.

:crazyguy

Bill

20. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

Here are the Pix of the guitars as promised. These instruments were made in 1983 or 84 and although they may not appeal to some, the originality and effort put into them is impressive. It’s a shame Vincent did not continue building, it would have been interesting to see where he would have gone with his designs. I also Asked James Trussat about Vincent Berton and knew him well and regarded him as a genius who was totally obsessed and if he could be directed in the directed he could come up with amazing things.

The instruments had been sitting for a long time and the strings were totally crusty, but I plugged the Fist in and it worked. As far as tone, it sounded like a workable electric guitar sound, but nothing overly resonant the strings would have to be changed and a setup done to properly test it. The tuners worked and actually were pretty easy to use, which I was skeptical about by the look.

The construction of the instruments is really unique, the heel of the instruments are brass and they are joined to the wooden neck on an angle as can be seen in the pic where the paint is chipped away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]