Texas Flood ad nauseum

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by mikem, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Mike,

Thanks for posting. Nice to hear some different styles the last day or so. Was that a Tele you were playing? I like the way you held back until the main lead break instead of major riffage throughout. Although you were getting after it there.

2. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Thanks- I was actually playing an Ibanez SA160- it's a cheapie, but I like it- I'm probably gonna change out the pickups at some point- they're not the greatest- I would have preferred using my Strat but it needs some work.

Mike

3. stu42

stu42 Member

Nice playing and I quite liked your tone as well. What gear were you using (apart from the guitar you already mentioned)?

4. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Well, it wasn't the "bluesiest" of rigs, to be sure! I used the SA160 plugged into a Peavey 5150 combo. I tried to get a smooth overdrive happening, but it's kinda hard with this amp, because it's fixed bias and biased really cold! Someday I'm gonna get an amp that can do overdrive and clean well.

:rolleyes:

Mike

5. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Hey Mike, I don't know man, I liked the tone that you came up with. Especially for a more laid back feel like you have going on. What I really liked is that there was nary a hint of the SRV thing that I was expecting to hear. Don't get me wrong I love Stevie, but you know what I mean. You did your own thing and it sounded great. :AOK

6. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Thanks, man, but after hearing the awesome tone that you get on your clips, I'm kinda left wanting! You're too kind!

Mike

7. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Real nice playing man.......some cool relaxed phrasing and I dug the "liquid"
    tone you had going...nice approach to the tune.......

8. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Thanks- that is what I was going for on that clip- that's the kind of sound I like getting out of a Strat neck pickup. BTW, I really enjoyed that guitar mix you did of the song you were working on- really elegant playing on there.

Mike

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Hey Mike,

Sorry man, I must have missed yours in the crowd :)

You stated that your version was very pentatonic oriented... NOT!!

All kinza kewl things in here dude

First off... Love the tone, nice phrases, great vibrato, sweet bends. lots of dynamics. I would add, similar to a few other postings, I would recommend not playin' over the vocals as much.

I enjoyed it :)

Harr Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

10. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Thanks Harry! I thought yours was a total blast! You're right about playing over the vocals- still a bit too verbose, I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

11. Marcello

Marcello Member

Enjoyed it a lot, great tone and feel !!

12. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Thanks, Marcello- I dug yours as well.

Mike