Texas Flood (North) - almost where it started

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Feb 10, 2006.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I have listened to all the versions here of Texas Flood and I have been so impressed by all of them. CryBaby's and HarryJ's being quite outstanding.

The inspiration was so great that I threw caution to the wind and picked up my Suhr Classic to have a go at it. I'm not really a blues player so have mercy. What I really enjoyed here was to try to play with elastic timing and some dynamics.

Texas Flood North

Cheers,

Mats N

2. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Bravo, Journo! I really like where you kick in the overdrive and start goin' to town. Nice job!

:cool:

Mike

3. journo

journo Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks! I'm aware of the fact that I tried a few koncepts that were new to me and I'm not quite sure yet if they fit in or not. It was kind of you not to notice. :D

Also I'd like to explain what I mean by the headline "almost back where it started". CryBaby who posted the BT and was the first out with a version doesn't live too far from here so with my version it has almost traveled around the world and back.

Cheers,

Mats N

4. journo

journo Member

Hi,

HarryJ- If you read this by any chance I would like to ask your opinion on this take. You've given feedback to others doing this BT and as I'm not very "blues fluent" I think I would gain valuable advice on how to improve my playing.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Hey Mats,

Sorry, I must have missed yours
    Nice phrases, great tone, sweet vibrato, tons of double stops, some dynamics, and some inflection.

Something that in my opinion would take you to another level would be
    if you accent an occasional upbeat in a swing/shuffle feel.

To make this work, you need to really have plenty of very subtle quieter notes, so there is a place to take the upper dynamic level to.

An exercise I use with my students is to practice scales, arpeggios etc... by alternating between loud and soft notes.

Try this:

Play a note as softly as you possibly can....

Ok, that was good... now make it 4 times softer! Like you almost don't hear it at all!

Use a VERY loose grip on the pick as you gently pick the string, you will find that the pick becomes more of a gently brushing of the string instead of a direct pluck.

Practice a major scale using alternating picking, every down stroke should be so soft it is almost not heard, followed by an upstroke that seriously threatens the life of the string.

Be careful... most loose it by the 4th string....This will become much easier in time

I tell my students to use dynamics, sensitivity, and inflection when practicing most everything. (ok not speed metal)

You will be surprised how musical a simple major scale can become if you play it like you feel it!

all in all, very nice job...

Next lesson we'll address using more tension or spice :)

Rock on... well ok blues on... hey that doesn't work does it :)

HJ

6. journo

journo Member

Hi Harry,

Thanks for taking your time. Really appreciated!

I have a problem regarding dynamics. I only record going direct and none of the modellers I've tried (all of them) really lends themselves to the dynamic thing. As I record non-isolated at home (usually with family at home sometimes making more noise then I am) there is no way I can record using a miked amp. I tried a Koch Twintone II with a 2x12 the other day and that sound just killer with the dynamics I want to play with. I still realize that I could do with more practise so thanks for the tip.

Looking foreward to the next lesson even more because there I know I have major deficiencies.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mats N

7. Normster

Normster Member

Loved it, Mats! :dude

I'm glad this post came back to the top. I missed it the first time around. :(

8. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Hey, Mats !

A little sidestep, to blues-land?
    Welcome !!!

I really like the sound of the Suhr.
    Boss GS-10 ?

I think You play very good, here also.
    However some constant listening to Mr King and Collins, woud improve the frasing a little further.

Maybe, You would like to try my Pedaltone ?

Lasse

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Lasse,

Yes, it's the GS-10.
    Yes, I realize that listening goes a long way.
    Yes, I'd like to try your Pedaltone.

Thanks also for the feedback.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Ok !

I'll drop You an email, as soon as I get it back.
    Another friend has the Pedalton, for the moment.

Regards
    Lasse

11. journo

journo Member

Hi Lasse,

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Mats N