Texas flood part XVIIII..

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by glogulus, Feb 14, 2006.

1. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

I decided to put up my thoughts on the idea... This is my first playing to a backing track and sharing my playing.. Be gentle.

Lots of clams, so get your bib on!

http://home.comcast.net/~glogulus/mytexas.mp3

It sounds a little harsh, but I think it was the way I setup guitar rig.. That's right, no real amps were harmed in the making of this clip :).

The stuttering of the playing was partly due to the darn noise reduction thing in GR2... Oh well..

2. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

First off... nice stuff in there bud :)

Rule number 1:

Never admit to clams, there will always be folks that will see that as a use of tension. :)

Hell, I was at the Guggenheim museum in NYC ions ago, and overheard a verbose group of folks as they looked at a totally blank canvas... "Ah, yes... to me it symbolizes the starkness of post modern ethnocentric society blah blah yada yada.... Lucky I had my high boots on :) They will be the same folks that will be talking about the super cool b9 you targeted on a minor 9 chord :)

As it has been said... "there are no wrong notes"... albeit, perhaps missed opportunities to resolve them.

Hey... repeat "clams" 3 times.... now they are a motif :)

Let's see....

You have a nice vibrato, bending pitch is good, use of double stops are cool.

You may want to consider not playing while the vocalist is finishing a phrase. Call and response, should be a conversation.

What I like to do is try to quote a few notes or phrase that the previous vocal line offered, then expand. That give the illusion that you are both talkin' about the same topic :)

Also... a little dynamics can make it really shine. If you pick very lightly, the note should clean up and be lower in volume so when you accent a note it calls attention to it.

Think of what it's like when you have a conversation. It's more interesting if both involved are more animated, with certain words emphasized to call attention to them... not cool to yell most of the time, or be monotone for that matter...certainly not cool if someone talks while you are still talking.

All in all, nice job!

Now that you are no longer a posting virgin.... bring 'em on!

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

3. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the great advice Harry. Great feedback and advice that I can use :).