Texas Heat -- 150W speaker for a 18W amp?

PRNDL

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Emminence Texas Heat - nice cleans and smooth distortion.

I have a custom amp with a pair of EL84 for about 18 watts (it's similar to an Vox AC15 or Matchless Spitfire).

My concern is that the speaker is way over-rated for the power of the amp, although I've read reviews of people putting them in Blues Jr with great results.

Any comments on this speaker are welcome!

OliverGuitars

I love these speakers. Dont let the high power rating fool you. I currently have my 12" Texas Heat loaded with my modded Valve Jr. and it sounds great.

I have owned about 8 different Eminence models, and the Texas Heat, Red, White, and Blues, and the Swamp Thing are some of my faves.

But for the amps and wattage you descibed, I would get a Weber Blue Dog Ceramic 50 watt with low Dope. I have this speaker matched up with my Windfield Cyclone Head (which is a Vox AC15 clone) and it sounds perfect. I tried the Texas Heat with this amp too, but the Blue Dob was much better.

If you want to go Eminence, I would get a Red,White, and Blues speaker!

Austinrocks

would go with the reviews of people putting in their blues jr, should be similar since your both running el-84s,

voojo

The wattage rating of a speaker is the amount of wattage it can handle, as long as the amp puts out less than the max you're good to go.

FWIW I had a Stephenson Stage Hog, which was about a 1 watt amp (or less) and I ran it through an EVM12L speaker (200 watt rating) sounded great!!

localmotion411

Platinum Supporting Member
I've got a 15w Vox Night Train running through an EVM-12S (200w) that sounds killer. Some amps sound better with some speaker breakup than others, but I've tended towards higher power handling speakers than the amp in order to cut down on speaker breakup and have really liked the results.

I would think that the cone of an ultra-low power speaker like the Blue probably would be able to move more easily than that of a higher power speaker such as an EV, so you may get more bass out of the lower power speaker. Maybe. But, cone cry can also be an issue with speakers being maxed out.

BPSUL

Speaker breakup doesn't really have anything to do with wattage. Just an FYI.

localmotion411

Speaker breakup doesn't really have anything to do with wattage. Just an FYI.
Spitballing: if speaker breakup has nothing to do with the wattage of the speaker, then why aren't all speakers built to 100-200w power handling capacity (or better)?

If the lower power handling isn't causing more speaker breakup, why would it sound any different than the same speaker with higher power handling?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
/\

I don't think you could get, for example, that "loose" bass that's in a 25 watt greenback from a high power greenback version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

localmotion411

/\

I don't think you could get, for example, that "loose" bass that's in a 25 watt greenback from a high power greenback version. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That makes sense. I was confusing speaker breakup with the "wooly" or "loose" low end response, due to the easier excursion of the cone.

:BEER

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Spitballing: if speaker breakup has nothing to do with the wattage of the speaker, then why aren't all speakers built to 100-200w power handling capacity (or better)?

If the lower power handling isn't causing more speaker breakup, why would it sound any different than the same speaker with higher power handling?
He said speaker breakup, not overall sound.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I know their are techniques for making speakers break up ... like having the coils protrude past the magnet so that they don't see a pull when extended. I'd assume, in a super high power speaker, those techniques would not be used. Am I wrong? Does anyone know of a super high power speaker with breakup? Keep in mind I'm just guessing here - speaker pros step in.

Wilbur

The TH is my go-to speaker from the Patriot/Redcoat lines. Enjoy it with just about any amp.

I have one in my radio-alarm clock.

andrekp

Once you have enough power to get the speaker moving fully (18 watts should be plenty) it'll be fine. If this was a 1/2 watt amp, then it might sound really stiff.

jcs

i've driven a single 16 ohm texas heat in a medium sized semi open cab with a variety of amps, my 71 marshall smallbox 50 down to my 65 princeton, it is a nice speaker that has plenty of tight bottom end.

Trending Topics