Texas Heat in Blues Jr.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BillyK, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got a NOS Blues Jr with the Jensen C12N speaker. I like a bright spanky clean Fender tone with healthy lows, but the C12N doesn't deliver on the lows, and it breaks up too fast.

The Texas Heat appears to be the #1 recommended choice for big clean tone, but I am concerned that it might attenuate the high end. For those of you that own a Texas Heat, does it retain the high-end well?

TIA!

2. padavis

padavis Member

I just bought a brand new Blues Jr. literally got it today. I am thinking about putting in a Weber Blue Dog or Silver Bell... but I am anxious to see what poeple have to say about the Texas Heat cause I could probably find one of those cheaper, so good luck on the post!

3. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

My Texas Heat has no sparkle. Subdued highs.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Geez. What amp is yours installed in?

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Try a Tonker, I put 2 in a 2x12 cabinet of mine and I have never heard lows like these speakers, much more tight and felt lows then the TH's.

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks so far for the replys.

7. John Carson

John Carson Member

i had one im my BJ sounded great. Sold the amp kept the speaker!

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Man, it seems like the opinions on this speaker are all over the map! Good to hear you like you Texas Heat. Does it attenuate highs in your opinion?

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Well, I had some time to install the Texas Heat and it's all that. What an amazing differeence and improvement over the Jensen C12N. The Blues Jr is simply "bigger" with way more lows and a more usable high-end. Very nice.
    Thanks for the info guys.

10. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I had a Jensen C12n reissue in my NOS Tweed BJ and couldn't stand it. Harsh, spikey....never, ever seemed to break in.

I was thinking about the Texas Heat, went instead with an Emi gb128(greenback). Sounded fat, rich, warm...loved it for a year or so. Recently had a hankering for more chimey/Fendery tone. Not knocking the gb128 in the least, but I no longer wanted a "British" sound.

Just this week put in an Emi Swamp Thang. WOW!! Super deep bass, very sweet treble (not squashed). Makes the amp sound huge. Overdrives with great note seperation and has a great touch sensitive response. Simply flat out loving it. The review in Guitar Player compared it to a real vintage Jensen mixed with a JBL. I'd say that was accurate. Highly recommend it for the Blues Jr.

11. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Billy, you know where I stand here. Never tried a Texas Heat in either of mine, but the Celestion G12H30 I put in one of 'em seems made to order. Articulate lows, killer top end slice without being obnoxious, and you can crank the amp's mids without it sounding either harsh or boxy.

Glad you like the heat, but if you ever pick up a second BJ, try the G12H30.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Sounds great Fretless. It's amazing how many amazing Eminence speakers there are out there. Not a bad one in the line-up. Plus, the prices are realistic.

Now I am looking at a Rajin Cajun for my SFPR!

13. padavis

padavis Member

Hey not to hijack but what is the speaker that is in the standard blues jr? I just got one and like I said I'm thinking Blue Dog Weber but I read that the speaker that is in it is just a relabeled Emi Legend. Is that true?

14. frank62

frank62 Member

^Emi Legend is standard in all but the tweed which has the RI Jensen.

15. padavis

padavis Member

Cool, thanks Frank.

16. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

TX Heat in separate cab, used with several amps. Matchless, Marshall, Fender, Carr. Chunky lows and mids, no sparkle. Emi Wizard, Weber Blue Dog and Celestion V30 have been getting a lot more action lately

17. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I had a Texas Heat in my Dr Z Maz 38, and thought it sounded very good. Had to sell the amp unfortunately. I never had a problem with no high end, but I doubt many people playing Dr Z's have that problem. Maybe the speaker sounded so good because it tamed the high end.

John

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

My Blues Jr isn't exactly a sparkly amp, like my BFDR for instance, but what high-end I was getting with the C12N reissue still appears to be there, but with a low-end the C12N just doesn't have.

So I am not hearing high-end attenuation with the Texas Heat. But the speaker is far from broken-in, so things may change.

19. mds

mds Member

Not to continue the hijak, but which Legend is it? Anyone have specs on this speaker?

20. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Legend 1258 is the Fender stock 'brown and gold' label Special Design speaker in the BJ, Hot Rods and older Dlx Reverb RIs.