Texas heat vs C-Rex Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Aug 27, 2005.

1. John55

John55 Member

Can anyone here give me a comparison between these two speakers? I'm using a C-Rex in my BFDR and really love it, in fact I have tried several other amps through this speaker and haven't found a thing not to like about it while using any of the amps. This is becoming my favorite speaker for a variety of reasons, but before I order up a new 2x12 I thought i'd see if the Texas Heat might offer anything this one doesn't. I'm thinking about using one of each and wondered if anyone here has tried that, or any other model that would compliment the C-Rex. Comments appreciated!

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'd like to know too! I'm the other way, I've got a Texas Heat in my DR and am curious about the CR...

3. John55

John55 Member

FRL-
    I guess we'll have to figure this out ourselves! I put the CR in my BFDR to tame the shrill, harsh highs and farty bass this amp produced with the stock Oxford speaker, and it did that very nicely. It exhibits a nice balanced sound that I would call slightly dark, just the thing to tame a really bright amp. Emi calls it a "smokey" flavored tone and FWIW I'd agree with that. Kind of sultry and hot, perfect for what I call a pushed Fender blues sound. I've tried it with a couple of Marshalls, my now departed 36w Reinhardt, and a Dr. Z Maz 18. Even with the Reinhardt and Marshalls pumping out a lot of gain this thing sounds great. The Z has a definite BF Fender flavor to my ears, so much less gain on tap. This speaker handles that and really allows that Z to show it's stuff.
    I'm sure I could be happy enough with just the CR, but I'd like to know what the Texas Heat is like.

4. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The Texas Heat has a top end sparkle that the Cannabis Rex lacks. Both have a pretty big sound although the Cannabis seems a little louder. I could have been happy with either but the Texas Heats seem to be a little more versatile.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

I'd love to compare the Texas Heat to the Man-o-War. For a long time I thought that there was no great all purpose 100 watt capable single speaker for 100 watt 1x12s. This whole category of speaker was just filled with either mediocre speakers (G12H-100 etc. ) or speakers that were great for some purposes but not others (Legend V12, EV, JBL, etc.)

Since getting the Texas Heat, I'm completely satisfied. There is at least one incredible all-purpose guitar amp speaker that can handle 100 watts, but still curious about other new ones.

From reports on the Tonker and Swamp Thang, these seem to be great, but not great for everything. I have a Red Ryder in transit to me, so I'll test that in comparison to the Texas Heat. If it isn't at least as good as the Texas Heat, I'll sell it and get a Man-o-War.

I still think it is great that supposedly two of the best of the new Eminence series (Texas Heat & Man-o-War) are high power speakers with only 38 oz. magnets and are on the cheaper price end of the series.

6. John55

John55 Member

BFC-
    From your description I'd think pairing these up in a 2x12 should work out pretty nicely if I decide to do that. I really like that smooth, creamy tone the CR exhibits, if the TH has that too I would probably be happyw ith it as well.

7. fast ricky love

J55, my experience with the Texas Heat in my DR was that it made the amp smoother, tightened the bass and tamed the brittleness, but as mentioned retained a lot of the sparkle. Plus the speaker has sort of a mid-emphasis/honking voice that fills out the tone of the DR really nicely. I put one in my Bruno too and gigged with it Friday and absolutely love it. :dude

8. John55

John55 Member

FRL-
    Sounds like I need to try one! I think a pair of these will work quite well together.

9. BadJaxx

BadJaxx Member

i just got a C. Rex to try in my Blues Deluxe, which is already a "smoky blues" amp....i'll see if the Rex enhances that or takes it too far...

10. fast ricky love

Hey John, they are worth trying. Especially given what they cost!

11. tommyg

tommyg Member

I have a C-Rex in my open back 1x12 Boogie combo and one in my 1x12 Thiele ported Boogie extension. The sound is awesome!
    I experienced a little farting w/the C-Rex's recently but it was only because I finally realized I had the bass setting to high and the "deep" switch was on. No wonder!

FWIW - I had a RWB before and loved the sparkle it had but the Boogie was too much for it and the bass notes were farting even when I adjusted the bass. Damnit! The C-Rex and RWB were awesome together!

;)

12. OOG

OOG Member

i'm trying to decide between the Heat or the Rex to go with my Swamp Thang in my Burt slant 2 X 12
    the Heat is looking like the way to go
    thoughts?