Texas Shuffle help

TroyHamilton

Silver Supporting Member
I know that there's been volumes written about it, so if you have a great online resources, feel free to point me in that direction as well... but I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of a lesson into the rhythm style that SRV uses on songs like Pride & Joy, Cold Shot, etc...

Tips, in-depth tutorials, whatever...

Thanks,
Troy

Tom Gross

OG Forum Member
Gold Supporting Member
If the issue is the swing feel, Try using a metronome on 2 & 4. Emily Remler explains this in her video, but the idea is to set a metronome at 1/2 the time you want to play, then have the "clicks" be on the 2 and the 4 rather than the 1 & the 3.
Try it, it works, and gives you that "..and-1...and-3" feel.

Clifford-D

I know that there's been volumes written about it, so if you have a great online resources, feel free to point me in that direction as well... but I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of a lesson into the rhythm style that SRV uses on songs like Pride & Joy, Cold Shot, etc...

Tips, in-depth tutorials, whatever...

Thanks,
Troy
Hopefully not off topic

Are there any Blues Jams in your area
to work on this stuff.

Or a band??

Blues Jams are good in that you have to react
to new situations all the time. You end up counting
on your sound as an "anchor" in these situations..
Great way to find your voice.
Plus it keeps the Blues alive and well.

Start a jam :)

TroyHamilton

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I haven't had much time to work on it so far this weekend, but I'll try to dig into it tonight or tomorrow and come back here with any questions I might have.

Clifford - I'm not real sure what is local around here. I just moved from Ohio (to Kansas), but I'm sure I'll find something eventually. I've always wanted to have people to learn from, but in the 9 years I've been playing I've only had it in very small amounts. Hopefully I can find someone out here and pick up some stuff.

dspblues

Hey DSP

I dig your tone

How do you achieve it??

DSP??? or tube???????????

If you dig the tone at that site, it isn't me (see below). If you dig my tone on my website, that is me. :) I'll be happy to talk tone if it is actually me you like.

wichita

Its all in the upstroke on each chord.
I mute with my right palm (picking hand) and then slightly remove the mute for the upstroke on each chord.
In a weird way its almost like playing island music. An upstroke to go along with every down stroke.

Mike T

Its all in the upstroke on each chord.
I mute with my right palm (picking hand) and then slightly remove the mute for the upstroke on each chord.
In a weird way its almost like playing island music. An upstroke to go along with every down stroke.

+1 that's the ticket..........

buddastrat

I'll have to disagree with some of y'all, it's all about the fret hand doing the muting. The right hand is swinging to the beat, not palm muting at all.

IIIBOOMERIII

Silver Supporting Member
Choke the up beats....without the sound of the choked up beats....it got
no soul. Choke the strings with left hand....it really only needs to be
the 3 or 4 high strings.

I think it was Bootsy that said, "It is all in the up beats baby."

Mike T

I'll have to disagree with some of y'all, it's all about the fret hand doing the muting. The right hand is swinging to the beat, not palm muting at all.

What I meant is the backbeat is the main thing. I mute with my fretting hand also because my picking hand is always in motion. Sorry....I just quoted the whole clip.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom