Teye Double Neck anyone?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Brock, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Brock

Brock Member

I own a Teye guitar so I'm always looking on his website. He is now making one of the coolest guitars I've seen (His other guitars are cool too). Check out his new addition.

Here's what his blog says about it:

"So, Teye is in the midst of constructing a two-necked monster. What are the major flaws of double-necked guitars?
    Who needs them?
    Rotten balance on the strap (totally neck-heavy)
    Way too heavy as an instrument
    Teye’s solutions:
    The 12-string portion of the Teye-doubleneck, like Jan Akkerman’s doubly (made by Anno Galama in the mid-seventies) is set up to have the strings not an octave, but rather a fifth apart. This creates a rich soundscape not achieved by any other guitar (listen to the superb album ‘Eli’ by Kaz Lux and Jan Akkerman).
    So, you DO need one.
    By cleverly chambering the body, even chambering the headstock, and setting the necks slightly different, the Teye does NOT dive to the ground.
    Weight-wise, it is …about the same as the average Electric Gipsy single-neck guitar, by careful selecting the wood, chambering, and other weight-watcher-tricks."

Working on the body

[​IMG][/IMG]

Showing what it will look like with some necks.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Setting in the real necks.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Look at the great inlay work. Wait a minute....Is that a La Pearla on the right?

[​IMG][/IMG]

Looks like it's going to be a flame top. I guarantee this won't be the last one he makes.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Looks like it will have 3 pickups on the 6 string and only 2 pickups on the 12. I wonder how it will sound. If anything like my La India, it will be a home run. Bravo Teye!

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Good God that is gonna be amazing!

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Wow, incredible. Talk about special. That right there is the beauty of hiring a so-called "small luthier" who 1. has the artistry required to support the craftsmanship, and 2. can really dial it in to your requirements and likings.

4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Sure it will be fanteyestic , Sorry . Damn looks great I just want a one neck one.

5. Pushead

Pushead Member

That's beautiful!

Is it baritone scale length on the 6 string, or just 25.5?

6. elteye

elteye Member

25.5"
    Also, the 12-neck (that is Gibson scale) is set a little deeper, to make the bridges line up, and (foremost) to reduce neck pull from the enormous headstock (which I chambered).

Teye

(disclaimer: I am the builder)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Unrelated to the scale length discussion of the doubleneck, but I thought I'd share a fun trick that I have done with my Electric Gypsy for some great tones.
    I've always liked the sound of a baritone guitar, but never got around to buying one for myself. I found a fun approximation can be had by taking the Gypsy and tuning it down a forth (or even a fifth if you can handle it) with the .10 gauge strings I have on. The strings get a little floppy, but it sounds so cool! Especially if you add some nice tremolo or a bit of reverb. Using the mood knob can help bring in a bit of sparkle or definition depending on how you set it.
    Try it out and see.

8. elteye

elteye Member

Haha! I tuned down my flamenco guitar once to baritone levels: used an extra-hard-tension bottom E-string, then regular set E, A, D, g, b, then tuned down a sixth...

Then I played a soleá, touching the strings softly and close-miking, and used it as an intro to this weird taranta I had written. During mix-down I boosted the frequencies just below my lowest note, for added hugeness.

Everybody was scratching their heads as to HOW I achieved THAT sound...

The track is 'El Río y la Mora' on my 'Viva el Flamenco' CD and the intro is not out there for listening as far as I know, sorry.

9. Brock

Brock Member

Here are a few more pictures I found. Looks like it has the color on the back rubbed on and you can see the top on the far right.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Holy ****..

Just, holy ****..

Makes me cry, seriously.

11. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

This is going to be one incredible guitar!! :aok :aok:aok
    Speaking of flamenco guitars:
    What kind of tuners are you going to use on the twin necks?
    I am considering changing the tuners on my doubleneck because of the diving problem....
    http://www.musiker-board.de/vb/picture.php?albumid=1676&pictureid=9271

12. elteye

elteye Member

Yep, balance is a humongous problem.
    I have an old '70's Ibanez doubly, and it had those metal buttoned Schaller-like tuners. Took all the buttons off, replaced them with plastic, also the volume and tone knobs. I took literally ONE POUND off of that guitar.

On my doubly, I THINK I can get away with Grovers with ebony knobs. The whole point of this doubly is, that on the six, I want a full-fledged Electric Gypsy guitar (otherwise I'm not going to play her) and in my experience the tuners have a huge impact on the Tone, so on the six I'll use my regular tuners which are full-size Grovers.
    On the 12: mini-Grovers also with ebony buttons.

I've, like on my bass guitar, opened my full box-o-tricks to tackle the balance problem. On the bass, I needn't have worried: so far it looks/feels like the doubly will be OK too.

13. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

You just got me flabbergasted with that incredible guitar!! :crazyguy
    Is the top of the guitar fully laminated into the frame?
    (The construction is really far out!!:bow)
    I was wondering, if you put "normal" Jazzbox tailpieces to each neck and use two wooden bridges ,which are held by stringpressure alone....that could bring you one step nearer to Gipsy guitar sound, once you install additional piezo bridges..... ;)
    What will the electric circuit be like? Toggle -and Push/pull for the middle pickup of the six-string( which allowes for combining all pups with each other?) Or double plateau 5-way switch and push pull to switch between the necks? (which won´t enable you to have both necks in an simultaneous ON- position, though...)
    Sorry, but I really got completely obsessed with your doubleneck...:drool

14. Brock

Brock Member

Another picture of the top.....

[​IMG][/IMG]

.... and Teye puts his personal touch. I need to get another one of his guitars!

[​IMG][/IMG]

15. elteye

elteye Member

Thank you Koamarlin! What a nice compliment.

Gypsy is an elusive word: to some it means Django Reinhart, to others Flamenco, yet others Balkan music, or maybe Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsys. To the Gypsies themselves (Gitanes, Gitanos, Zigeuner, Tsigani, Rom, Calé) it means of course: their people...
    I was referring to the Electric Gypsy guitars that I make.

If you install piezos and you want to blend into one output, then you need on-board pre-amps for the high impedance humbuckers, something I am not a fan of.
    But, I have my own tricks of achieving that piezo-top-end (no, not coil-tapping or anti-phase)...

Koamarlin, on the 6, I get all possible pickup combinations without any push-pull or micro-switches... Just four knobs and a cheesecutter switch, just like my Electric Gypsy guitars.
    Then on the 12 I'll have a 3-pos toggle and one master volume.
    Master Tone and Mood will switch over with the necks.
    A kill switch for the 12 is next to the 6, and a kill switch for the 6 sits next to the 12.

All designed to address the enormous frustration I have with the control layout of my Ibanez doubly.

Merry X-mas!

16. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

Oh My God :thud

That is guaranteed to be the nicest feeling, playing, and sounding Double Neck ever made. Teye is an absolute genius! I play my Electric Gypsy nearly every day and it never ceases to amaze.

17. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on a fabulous and just gorgeous Teye Double Neck...
    She's a beauty!

18. Brock

Brock Member

Just found a few more pictures. Looks like it's really coming together. Someone's going to be very happy. Hopefully we'll be able to hear it soon.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. Rebel-Guitars

Rebel-Guitars Antique Silver Member

Wow! I hope to get my hands on this next week at NAMM.

20. elteye

elteye Member

(all pics from our NAMM-booth)

Andy Andersson of the new SONY Music band 'Black Robot':
    [​IMG]

Mark Ford of the Black Crowes:
    [​IMG]

Anni, who has been coveting my guitars for awhile now:
    [​IMG]

Tyler, from LA, local Rrrrock Star:
    [​IMG]

Tim Fulmer, American manager of Mick Taylor and good friend: