Teye Guitars and me

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gtrfinder, Aug 3, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Yesterday I went to pick up my Teye guitar.

For those unfamiliar with my quest, background information is here
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=387258&highlight=teye+zemaitis

It was easily one of the coolest experiences I've ever gotten to be a part of.

Teye lives in Manor, TX just northeast of Austin which is about 3 hours from my house. It is a beautiful spot out in the country. (What's Eating Gilbert Grape was filmed in Manor, TX)
    I can't tell you how eagerly I've waited for an email from Teye telling me my guitar was done. Knowing that I'd make that 3 hour drive in 2.5 or less when something this beautiful was waiting for me.
    [​IMG]

I met Teye just before lunch out at his house. He, as always, was very warm and welcoming. He invited me in out of the 103 degree heat into his house and I was immediately greeted with this sight
    [​IMG]

Hard not to stare at something like that...
    Anyways, we sit down and have an espresso and discuss how things are going. For those that don't know, Teye has recently built up his business from what was previously a small one man operation, to a small multi-man operation. He's gone from working in the equivalent of a closet or living room, to having a dedicated workshop on his property.
    [​IMG]

He invited me to go visit his shops, and I obliged.

Now. Back into the house where the real fun begins.
    Teye is a huge Rolling Stones fan, so when it came time to play the guitars it was nothing other than a huge, Stones approved, Ampeg stack. I actually started out by playing Teye's Zemaitis guitar that he got from Tony.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then of course Teye showed me how a real musician does it. Do some research. Teye can hold his own with just about anyone on the guitar. Don't even get me started on what he can do with a Flamenco guitar in his hands.
    [​IMG]

Now it was time to play mine.
    [​IMG]
    Now realize that I had just put down a Tony Zemaitis masterpiece (valued somewhere between a nice luxury sedan and a small house), to pick up Teye's masterpiece.
    [​IMG]
    Mine sounds better. Teye showed me the multitiude of sounds you can coax out of the Electric Gypsy, and I was just completely blown away.

After an hour or so of playing guitars (including an original Dan Armstrong, and one of Teye's A-Series guitars), it was time to pack her up and head back home.

Teye has left nothing to chance. All of the instructions and booklets I received with my guitar provided me with everything I need to care for this fabulous instrument on my own.

Here is one last shot with the master and his children
    [​IMG]

Teye goes beyond customer service. As I'm sure other owers of his instruments know, when you buy a Teye guitar you buy the man who built them too. I've never purchased a high-end guitar before, but I just want to make it clear by saying that I have never had this level of service before, in anything.
    Our country is a better place with wonderful people like Teye in it.

It was a long drive back to Ft. Worth, and I could not keep from looking in the back seat to make sure it was really there and not some fantastic dream.
    It was still there.
    [​IMG]

Here are some shots of the most beautiful woman in the world holding my new child.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you Teye. My friend for life.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

What an awesome experience. I am a bit jealous and hope to have an S-Series soon. From my limited conversations and PM's with Teye, he is a genuine guy with a dedication to his craft second to none. I wish him the best as his company grows. His guitars have caught on and they are truly masterpieces that also play really well. BTW, his original Pearl Front Z is amazing looking-what a thrill to have gotten to play an original Z.

3. Guitarpentry

Guitarpentry Member

Great thread! Enjoyed all the pics and it's nice to see a smiling builder included.

4. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing that.

5. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

How did the A and S guitars compare?

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Very nice!
    Thanks for the beautiful story and the fabulous pictures!
    I really love hearing stuff like this.
    I've pondered getting a Teye in the past... I'm gonna' have to start pondering again :D I'd seriously love to own one of these (functional) works of art.
    You're a luck guy! Beauty of a wife, beauty of a guitar and a beauty of a friendship ;)
    Best of luck with it.

8. todd richman

My understanding is that the S Series do not have as intricate engraving and also the bridge and tailpiece are not handmade but rather Tone Pros. The pickups and electronics are the same. You can also upgrade the S Series with some or all of the A Series appointments.

9. kodecar

kodecar Member

Very cool guitar and a great story. I bought my Thorn largely because of the man. It's great to hear about other builders with great service and customer appreciation.

Is that a painting of Esteban on the wall behind Taye? :hide

10. gtrfinder

11. kodecar

kodecar Member

Wow! Awesome player.

12. gtrfinder

I was not kidding when I said the man could play.
    He's pretty incredible.

13. kodecar

kodecar Member

I just got done reading through his whole site. Pretty amazing guy all around.

Did you have a chance to play an "A" model while you were there? Was there a difference between the two tonally or just aesthetically?

14. gtrfinder

I have played the "A" models on, I think, 3 occasions now. I will start by telling you that all of Teye's guitars are very special instruments.
    The A-Series is really the pinnacle of Teye's idea for a guitar.
    (I like wine so I'll use a wine analogy here)
    There are differences aesthetically (of course), but I would liken the tonal difference to two very fine wines, both from the correct vineyards. One is vintage (A-Series) and one is newer (S-Series). Both are very delicious, but if you are going to drink wine and you can afford the correct vintage, there is no substitute.

If I compare the sound of the A-Series and S-Series it is a very close comparison, but there is a difference. The extra care put into the A-Series makes an audible difference. When you strum a chord on the A-Series and let it ring it sounds like Pavoratti just joined the angelic choir already assembled in the S-Series.

At this point in my life I am not able to afford either vintage wine, or an A-Series, so I'll get the absolute closest substitute I can. Teye offers people like me a very close approximation of the A-Series at a price that I can afford. For me there is no other guitar that can touch mine in terms of tone and playability, but if I ever am able to afford an A-Series guitar, Teye's number is set in speed dial on my phone.

Hope that provides some clarification.

Once I get some proper speakers for my amp I'll provide a full tonal report with my rig.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  15. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    Beautiful pics of those guitars, Teye and your wife!!
    We obviously share some good taste :)

16. todd richman

gtrfinder, that is a terrific explanation of the differences between the A and S Series of Teyes. I would love some clips. What is the rest of your rig? Pedals, Amp(s)?

17. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Always great to learn about yet another outstanding comrade-in-arms!

Many thanks for sharing!

18. gtrfinder

I'll look into recording something, but I am far from a world-class player, and really know very little about recording. I'd hate to misrepresent the guitar with my poor playing and recording techniques.

My rig consists of the following:

Amp:
    Divided by 13 RSA23 head into a 2x12 Divided by 13 cab (soon to be loaded with a Greenback and a Scumback M75).

Pedals:
    Z-Vex Box of Rock, Line 6 DL-4, BYOC Tremolo.

That's really it. I used to use a ton of effects, as well as 2 amps simultaneously, but I found I have more fun and actually play better gigs if there is less for me to be distracted by on the floor, or on the amps.

The Electric Gypsy will help me lighten the load of guitars I take to a gig too. The "Mood" knob in conjucntion with the Volumes and Tone control gives me sounds that I'd need at least 3 or 4 other guitars to get.

19. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Beautiful Guitar !!

and a great presentation of the process of getting it from him

congratulations !!!

20. teleking36

teleking36 Member

After numerous emails back and forth with Teye, I will be calling him tonight to make the deposit on an S-Series La Mora!!!!

I absolutely cannot wait. Projected completion date is right around my birthday; I don't think I could get a better 25th birthday present. Based on what I've heard and read, this guitar may eliminate my need for an SG. If so, that not only frees up some cash to put back into the Teye, but requires less to carry around for gigs!

I haven't felt like this about a guitar EVER!!!! So excited!!!