Teye Guitars Owners (and Aficionados) Club

PW214

Pretty much all Coyotes (pre super coyote) were made in 2014. There were only about 300 of them that were made.

As i understood it, Dallas was to have the shop manager, currently in Florida, cover any repairs.

If this is not the case with the 50 or so "scratch and dent" coyotes and they want to charge you, than I shall use this opportunity to introduce myself.
I am a part-time luthier and electronics technician. I worked for Teye Guitars under both ownerships.
I will work you or your personal tech through a repair or do a repair for you free of charge (sans shipping) in exchange for a Yelp review for my personal repair business. I will only do this for those not covered under Warranty as I do not intend to step on anyones toes, nor will I unveil any of the trade secrets. I offer it to help those who are slim on money but carry the priceless appreciation of these wonderful instruments as much as I do.
PM for info and credentials.
I'm sure that those not covered with a warranty/repair option, will be very grateful for this.

Dick Noordijk

Hi everyone - I am a recent Teye lover, but the Teye bug bit me hard and often and now I have sold off all my other guitars in order to get me some Teye's!
I recently acquired a very special Electric Gypsy (more on that in a separate entry) with the new mojo control and this is what I found: I have three Teye guitars with Mood controls -

The MOOD knob on my Gypsy Queen La Estrella has a fairly simple function - it more or less lets you add in the 2nd coil from the bridge to add instant girth to your riffs and/or solos. A simple task which it does very well.

My E-series La Perla two pickup and La India 3 pickup do different things when the MOOD knob is twiddled. First of all, the La India has more brightness to start with due to the aluminium top and more sounds due to the three pickups - the MOOD knop gives me very good F-type sounds but also P90, acoustic and all sorts of cross-breed sounds, when used with volume and tone controls.

The La Perla is a much fatter sounding instrument and has two pickups, so less options compared to the La India. Here, the mood knob helps me to bring out thinner sounds, more definition and 'quack' when needed.

Enter the MOJO control: I have it on a three pickup Teye which I was fortunate enough to buy recently. I was thinking it would work more or less the same as the MOOD knob on my other two Electric Gypsy guitars, but I was in for a (positive) shock!! With everything on full, you hear the full roar of the guitar as built into its' DNA. When you engage the MOJO you can shift the whole spectrum of the sounds the guitar is capable of - not only the aforementioned in between and F-style sounds, but the clanging sound of a resonator, the thinner twang of Rickenbackers/Gretsches and acoustic sounds not available with the MOOD control. It also allows a lot more bite for playing old style, gnarly rhythm stuff. I can now use the neck pickup so much more than on my other two guitars - the clarity is uncanny - even with the MOJO on '7'.

It really opens up many more possibilities that a Teye is already capable of, but the extra scope can only be achieved with the MOJO circuit.
I still love the 'soul' that my two MOOD control equipped guitars have, but I am astounded by the extended range and possibilities of the MOJO circuit. If you love your Teye as it is now, you will fall in love all over again when you get the MOJO circuit - either on your next Teye or fitted to the Teye you already have.

Dick Noordijk

I feel I have to share the incredibleness (is that a word? it should be!) of the Teye Master series guitars.

I have been building, repairing, playing, collecting and loving guitars for 40 years now. I have had a collection for a long time with vintage Fenders, Gibsons and Gretsches from the 50's and sixties which I loved - I do not own them anymore, but I consider myself lucky to have owned them, play them and get to unravel the mystery that surrounds these vintage and valuable guitars.
Most of them have a soul and stories to tell; unfortunately they are also fragile, have issues with stability, microphonics, binding and tuner shrinkage, some of them are just poorly built and are not up to stage (ab)use without modification.

That means that in order to play it in a live situation, you have to alter the guitar, not only taking away value, but some of the soul as well, thus rendering them to the role of a 'player'. I have never wanted to go there - out of respect for the guitars and the people that built them.

After I sold off my collection some 7 years ago I went for perfection; this got me into the camp of PRS (regular and private stock) guitars, next to custom shop recreations of '59 Les Pauls, 60's strats, '59 335's etc.
I love PRS and Paul's vision on guitar building and improving.guitars - I can honestly say that the Private stock signature limited I had was the most perfect guitar I have ever owned. Everything was perfect, finish, playability, sounds and switching options. It also had character, but the only it lacked for me, was soul....

enter Teye guitars....
I sold my PRS guitars, my custom shop creations and was fortunate enough to buy the Master series Konstantinopolis 'Dracul', which is also on the Teye website (check under 'Sounds' and scroll down to the video's where Teye is playing it).

My E-series Electric Gypsy guitars already surpassed my Gibson/Fender/PRS custom creations, but this beautiful instrument is in a league of it's own!!! I adore the looks of the guitar and how it feels to play, but the sound is out of this world.
It's playable ART...

My ritual every night before I go to bed is to play my Teye guitars in a row for a couple of minutes each - not plugged in -just as they are. I start with the Gypsy Queen and love the twang, then onto the La India with it super top end response and then my darker, more 'manly' sounding La Perla. And now I get to close the ritual with a play on the Konstantinopolis.....it is almost like an acoustic guitar, the way it rings, it breathes and resonates over the full tonal spectrum. My wife nearly always has to call me to come to bed, as I get lost in the spell of the Dracul......is it vampire-controlled?
When I plug it in, everyone comments on how it sings, how it fills the room with sound and how it fills out the bands' total sound (I'm in a trio, so the guitar really counts!).
I have only had the guitar for a few weeks now, but it has completely knocked me over (and out) and continues to do so. Teye wanted to keep this guitar for himself and I can see, feel and hear why! This guitar connects (even more than the other Teye's I have, which I still love for what they do) to the soul in a way no guitar before (and I have had hundreds) has ever done.

So, hats off to ELTEYE, for pursuing your vision, following your heart and soul and putting all of that that into your guitars - I am a very happy man!

goodwater

I've recently had the opportunity to compare a 2009 S-Series La Mora with both a 2014 E-Series La India and 2014 T-Series El Platero and found both of the 2014s to be as high in quality, playability and tone as the 2009. I know that there was some talk earlier in this thread about whether the 2014s were "real" Teyes and, in my estimation, they certainly are. I actually prefer the "cheapest" of the bunch (The T-Series El Platero) for tone and playability.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new models when they come out.

PW214

If you are in Texas, I think Sam Ash still has them for $2K. And if you are local, I bet you could get out the door at $1899. I think some of the others here have done that.

goodwater

there are some great deals on Teyes on the Sam Ash website right now...Piratas, Coyotes, Scallywags and several of the other models

Rypline

Dirk is absolutely correct. I've been playing my super coyote for the past month and the new Mojo knob changes everything. I'm honestly questioning the need for most of the other guitars in my collection. The mojo is a game changer. I can't wait for the gypsy arrow that's coming in a few months. Should be amazing.

goodwater

I've got a few teyes but all have a Mood knob...I know that it's possible to send a guitar in for an upgrade to Mojo but it ain't cheap...I may end up doing it with one of 'em, tho

goodwater

that is true...the mood knob is great and I've sold (or in the process of selling) several guitars that the Teye has replaced (including a vintage Les Paul Jr and vintage Mustang as well as a few "lawsuit" guitars that I never thought that I'd sell)

goodwater

after spending a lot of time with my Teye and allowing myself to get over the "honeymoon", I can honestly say that it's the best playing and sounding guitar that I've owned. while they are a bit pricey on the front end, I think that I'll actually save money in the long run because (I think) the search is finally over.

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
And now I get to close the ritual with a play on the Konstantinopolis.....it is almost like an acoustic guitar, the way it rings, it breathes and resonates over the full tonal spectrum. My wife nearly always has to call me to come to bed, as I get lost in the spell of the Dracul......is it vampire-controlled?
When I plug it in, everyone comments on how it sings, how it fills the room with sound and how it fills out the bands' total sound (I'm in a trio, so the guitar really counts!).
I have only had the guitar for a few weeks now, but it has completely knocked me over (and out) and continues to do so. Teye wanted to keep this guitar for himself and I can see, feel and hear why! This guitar connects (even more than the other Teye's I have, which I still love for what they do) to the soul in a way no guitar before (and I have had hundreds) has ever done.
Congrats on your Konstantinopolis! I love mine too and agree with you about it's sound. Just a deep, deep ringing tone to every note.

mrfett

Well I've been playing my Super Coyote for a few months now and I just wanted to chime in and share that it really is a game-changer for me. I've been trying to record a video review but it's been a very busy few months, and the guitar is just so versatile it's turned into a series of vids to showcase it's different capabilities. It just sounds so right... it has a ton of bite on tap that is just so awesome to start with. The tone controls (Tone, Volumes, Mojo and 5-way) give you a ton of different ways to sculpt the sound. It's perfect because you start with so many frequencies and then you can shift the emphasis as you please. You never start with mud and then find yourself trying to boost treble that wasn't there to begin with (and I'm not saying it's piercing or shrill or trebly, I'm saying it's genuinely full spectrum; it makes other guitars sound dull). It's the ideal guitar, honestly. I don't know if it could replace my hollow-bodies but it's definitely my go-to solid body.

I've found the Mojo to be worth the upgrade. The new sound really is sweeter; the new pickups and circuitry are a genuine advance. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Mood knob; on the contrary I couldn't understand why he'd gone through the trouble to change what wasn't broken. Gotta tip my hat to the guy: Teye knows what the 'eff he's doing.

Wish I could get up the balls to sell some of my Gibsons to grab a Gypsy Arrow. They sit in cases but their allure is still too strong, despite logic telling me the truth...

mrfett

OK here's my review, hope some folks find it helpful. First riff is full blast so might want to turn down your volume a little if it's up or if you're in headphones :)

McShred

Silver Supporting Member
do these guitars sound like a Les Paul?
no, not particularly close. I had a La Llama back in 2010. Very nice guitar, but sounded closer to an SG than a LP, and even then, not quite like a Gibson as the scale length is a big part of the sound. I ended up selling mine because it didn't really do the LP thing. nice guitar, beautiful and versatile, but wouldn't replace a LP.

mrfett

I dunno, I feel I can cop all the same sounds I get from my humbuckered LP with my Super Coyote. The pickups aren't as hot as my R6 though so when dialing in a P-90 sound with the Mojo knob it doesn't drive the amp quite as hard.

That particular Gypsy Arrow has hotter Lollars in it though so it should snarl pretty good ;-)

There are quite a few good YouTube vids up so you can hear for yourself and see what you think. It doesn't replace playing one though. The flattop, longer scale length and wider neck certainly make them a different animal. The versatility of the electronics makes them sonic chameleons (IMHO).