Teye Guitars Owners (and Aficionados) Club

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gtrfinder, Oct 15, 2008.

1. mrfett

mrfett Member

Here's a little thing I did with my Gypsy Arrow last week, try'na make sense of the news:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    ZeyerGTR and frisco kid like this.
  2. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Good stuff mrfett...

mrfett likes this.
  3. mrfett

mrfett Member

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

mrfett... excellent videos...

i really like Teye's esthetic... unfortunately, I look at these LP shaped Teyes like an LP and they definately are not.

Is the V any closer to a Gisbson flavor?

it is the neck-scale length that I cannot bind with... even though it offers more possibilities

mrfett likes this.
  5. mrfett

mrfett Member

the scale length is both an advantage and a disadvantage if you're a Gibson fan. These are not LPs. They CAN however get you in that zone tone-wise. They never feel like an LP though. It's funny how we gravitate towards what we know and are familiar with.

I've found the upper fret access to be revelatory, and the ability to get so many different timbres from one instrument is inspiring. The only tones I can't get are that thick saturated sound I get from my '56 Reissue LP and the sounds my ES-330 makes. The P-90s coupled with the way the neck is set and the scale length just do something that's hard to replicate (and of course the hollow-body 330 has the hollow body/P-90 thing going on plus the strange neck/body join at the 13th fret or something). For standard humbucker LP and SG tones though I don't feel the need to look elsewhere (as long as you're willing to work the controls a bit).

These are very rewarding instruments to play because they offer the player a wealth of timbres at your fingertips with no batteries or pedals. The Gypsy Arrow has a different voice from the Super Coyote, I know for some mentioning it's construction is heresy but it's entirely korina so it's going to sound different than the mahogany/maple Super Coyote (don't start a fight with me over it it's fine if you think I'm a stooge to the exploitative guitar manufacturers I'm fine with it). I think it ventures further away from LP tones honestly, it's quite a bit more... i dunno it's got a different voice. It isn't far away from an old Explorer/Flying V vibe though, it's very much in that wheelhouse. Again though, the tone control in conjunction with the Mojo and Volume knobs can really morph it's character.

The thing about these guitars is that they aren't one trick ponies, they aren't designed to be. I think a lot of players use them that way (according to Rich Robinson's tech he just keeps it at full blast on stage) but then you're kind of missing out a bit.

Like a lot of us I was a bit emotional last week and I came out of the shower with this idea and stuck a camera on it to get it down. It certainly isn't perfect but it kind of shows some of the contrast I talked about. I'm using the Gypsy Arrow for it's out-of-phase position:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  6. mrfett

mrfett Member

And btw don't make the mistake I did and try to stick something higher output into one of these Gypsy Arrows thinking you can make it more "ballsy" or "thick". Yuck! Teye seems to be voicing them for the Lollars they regularly ship with and he knows what he's doing. Honestly the controls are meant to be played with, give those knobs a good workout and you'll find the ballsy thick tone you seek!

There's actually one out there with higher output pickups in it (don't ask how I know), and I guarantee it doesn't sound as good. If you get it though I'm sure Teye will swap them out for you (I probably shouldn't speak for him but I'm pretty sure he'd want them out too).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  7. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Got the La Perla back and it's like a new guitar. I had an Artisan upgrade and Mojo circuit installed. I'll let the pictures do the talking but a word on the Mojo...there's a significant increase in range adding so many more tones to the sonic palette. Compared to my La India's mood circuit, there's more sizzle/bite on the "Lester" side and more spank/quack/snap on the "Leo" side...just the slightest knob turn changes the complexion so there's more in between 0-10. I was appehensive about a circuit change because I loved the way it sounded with the mood and feared it would come back with no discernible difference or worse, "less than" it was before. I took a leap of faith and I'm so glad I did. Worth every penny, and the facelift ain't bad either...thank you Evert and Teye!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    soulohio and mrfett like this.
  8. mrfett

mrfett Member

9. PW214

PW214 Member

it looks great. I have that dragon plate on the back of my coyote, I'm glad I did it. It's my blingy-est guitar lol

frisco kid and mrfett like this.
  10. elteye

elteye Member

Mrfett, actually to my knowledge there isn't. I took those high output Lollars out and sold them on eBay. These are undoubtedly wonderful pickups in other guitars but just do not work well in my guitars. Mine get high output from other means, not by overwinding the pickups.

Sincerely,

Teye

mrfett likes this.
  11. elteye

elteye Member

Very glad that the upgraded La Perla made you happy.

frisco kid and mrfett like this.
  12. mrfett

mrfett Member

sent you a PM on here

13. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Hi Teye,
    I'm not as detailed or eloquent in describing tones or sounds so please forgive my crude depiction of the Mojo circuit. I've just spent the entire day at full volume on my Genz Benz Black Pearl (think Matchless and AC30) and Ampeg GVT and I'm thrilled with the massive array of tones...it plays so effortlessly that I'm not the least bit fatigued. Honestly, the only impediment is its so beautiful I'm constantly looking at it while playing lol. I'm MORE than happy. My daughter loves the switch plate with her name engraved...I've been told I can never sell it...I told her there's no chance I ever will. Thanks again!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Drowned Rabbit, soulohio and mrfett like this.
  14. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

It's unfortunate you don't get along with 25.5" scale necks...as Mrfett implied, I look at Teye's guitars as the absolute best of the Fender and Gibson camps. While not exactly copying those extremes, you get tones squarely in those neighborhoods while retaining they're own identity. Their looks just take it over the top for me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  15. soulohio

soulohio Member

I saw two Super Coyotes for sale at Sam Ash in NE OH two months ago... I played the used one for a bit... these are just gorgeous guitars. I really think they are underpriced relative to what you are getting in workmanship, bling and sound quality...
    alas and alack, I will have to sit down with one in a private setting and see if we can compromise... as I said, the scale and neck just do not beg me to take the guitar home...
    ....oh, these hack hands of mine....

16. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Is it that 25.5 scale necks are harder for you to play? These are usually strung with 10s but have enough fat that 9's should be fine?

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

nope..it is the scale length.
    i know.. i tell myself it should not matter
    i had a strat at one time
    beautiful axe
    could not bond with it over the scale length
    maybe i try again some day

18. Rex Granite

Rex Granite Member

will try to post pictures tonight.
    immediately set up for slide, raised action/open E. I didn't raise the pick up height along with the action, as my amps were being overdriven more than I'm used to.
    very balanced sound, as I said never left the bridge pick up. I also like the fact the guitar is at least an inch longer than my other Vs. (reminds me of when I used to play an Explorer, impression of more substance without the weight)
    Evert didn't have #14 when I was ready to buy, but #15 was in LA at a movie studio on loan, so I have the last of the mohicans.

frisco kid likes this.
  19. elteye

elteye Member

Rex, this robs you of some bite in your slide playing, what a pity! I suggest you try the following: raise the pickups by just as much as you raised the action, or in general as close as you can get them to the strings without rattles, and then back the volume knobs off a little bit. You will be amazed at the sound: my volume knobs aren't like on most guitars.

Of course, you might disagree. It's a good thing to count the number of turns you give each height adjustment screw, so that you can always go back to the way it was.

And bytheway, congratulations on getting your hands on the last Gypsy Arrow!

Distortion-Bros and mrfett like this.
  20. Rex Granite

Rex Granite Member

I'll give it a try tonight!, Thanks.

mrfett likes this.