TGP Amp 'Darlings' over the years?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarlix, Mar 20, 2020.

1. rh

rh Robo Sapien NoiseMaker Gold Supporting Member

TNJ likes this.
  2. rh

rh Robo Sapien NoiseMaker Gold Supporting Member

Also: TGP had a hot fling with Allen amps for a bit.

3. Amp_Addicted

Amp_Addicted Member

Though I have a couple dozen amps, I don't own an amp made after 1979. That one is a Hiwatt SA-112, so I guess that qualifies for some type of TGP amp. Then again I have owned a 55 5E3 for decades now, and was wondering when people were ever going to realize the amp is as important as the guitar in any sonic equation. The 5E3 clone is TGP amp-I own an original though. It's also why I have a couple vintage dozen amps vs dozen guitars. I can get more tones with one guitar into multiple amps rather than multiple guitars going into a single amp.

I am simply not a fan of amps made after 1980 when everyone started adding goofy gain stages & effects loops. I supposed it's some form of arrested development as I started playing in 79. The first amps I tried always sounded awful from that period(like seriously why do people covet Lab Series amps). I had an LS amp in 1980 and it sounded sterile. I was so happy when I fried the speaker and then bought a late 70's Vibro Champ which was closer to what I was after. It wasn't until I picked up a 64 Deluxe Reverb in 83 for $250 that I heard the tones I was looking for. A friend that ran a guitar store also hooked me up with an early Ampeg Reverberocket with 6V6 tubes that I still have. That amp is gold in comparison to some of the garbage that has come since.

I have tried out a few Carr, 65 & Divided by 13 amps to be left to think my old school Traynor amps do a better job of amplifying a guitar sound. I can still get a couple of Traynors for less than Carr or Dr Z or whatever. Simply stated I am an amp Luddite. Why fix something that really isn't broke. The only problem with older tube amps is they like older preamp tubes to feed them. I was around hi-fi people in the late 80's who started hoarding preamp tubes. I now have about 200 vintage 12AX7 from different makers as they all have their tonal space & amps they like to be in. My main amp these days is a 65 Wards Airline 62-9025a. A boutique version would probably cost 1,200 or so for a single ended amp 6V6 with reverb & that great Valco vibrato. I got it for $200 a couple of years ago. One of the best purchases I have made. Wish I had picked up a half dozen of them when nobody wanted them(I remember them being a $50 amp)

4. toc626

toc626 Member

Weren't Redplates big for a while? I was lusting for one without ever actually seeing, much less playing one.

5. musicman1

musicman1 Member

you just beat me to it! Lol 3 pages and no rp suggestion. Rp has totally fallen off the tgp radar.

JasonElGato and Dana Olsen like this.
  6. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Not me. Have always stuck in the 40-100W range, mostly 90-100.

7. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

Thought I might be the first to sneak in a Redplate response...

Also...

Xits

TNJ and Dana Olsen like this.
  8. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Never heard of Xits...interesting

lostpoet2 likes this.
  9. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Valvetech Hayseed 30

MikeMcK likes this.
  10. (Something)

(Something) Member

Looking at my amp collection, I’ve definitely been bitten by the TGP flavor of the month bug more than once.

Gabriel Voxer
    Divided by 13 RSA 31
    Germino Classic 45 and Lead 55
    Allen Accomplice

11. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Wow, just checked out some youtube videos of the Valvetech Hayseed 30 - smoking tone! Really great sounding amp.

12. DRS

DRS Member

Here are a few I remember in more or less chronological order (maybe less)
    • Komet
    • Bruno
    • Tophat
    • Bad Cat
    • Dr. Z
    • Allen
    • Fuchs
    • Germino
    • VHT
    • Metropolos
    • Two Rock
    • Quinn, Redplate and all of the "me too" Dumble clones

lostpoet2 and TubeStack like this.
  13. feet

feet Supporting Member

Being a vox guy, I remember a slew of amps being the ultimate in vox tone, and most of them are gone now.

Rather than chase every new latest and greatest, I got one that said "vox" on it and never looked back.

Gabriel
    Valve tech
    xits (the super ultimatest!)
    Morgan
    Top hat
    /13
    Magic
    Jmi (the current most super ultimatest?)
    Blc
    Bad cat
    Matchless

And so on. A couple of those are still trucking along. It's mainly just people wanting to pay more and have something that nobody has.

DiAmoroso likes this.
  14. Zonk

Zonk Member

I remember reading a few of the Xits threads, they had a real cult following. I thought they looked very strange, still would like to try one.

15. sunburst79

sunburst79 Member

I never got bitten by the 18watt bug. Which is weird since that would fit right in the sweet spot.

I stumbled on a used Rienhardt Half Stack and plugged into it just because it looked cool. And bought it on the spot. My understanding is Bob got a very good offer to go back to what he was doing before building amps and that didn’t include the pain of running a small business. I think if he had stuck around a little longer there was a good chance he would have been quite successful. I’m actually pretty glad that builder unknown I grabbed my SHG half stack because my ears liked it. TGPs Amp of The Month Club had no bearing on that. It wasn’t till later on I found out I had a pretty unique amp.

What’s nice is that we have alternatives these days and a healthy enough ecosystem to support small builders.

I don’t have a Dr Z. But I can remember him showing off prototype(s) at the local guitar shows many many years ago. It’s nice to see a small builder become fairly mainstream.

We definitely need amp choices beyond a couple of big names serving up semi dodgy PCB corporate amps.

scene likes this.
  16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i didn't.
    i did the 12w dance, once..... and was utterly cured of the notion after a single, super depressing gig w/my band at the 55bar NYC.

17. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Ha! Lowest I went was 30 and had the same experience at a gig

splatt likes this.
  18. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

/13, Two Rock, Morgan, and Carol Ann come to mind, though I'm not sure about the eras.

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Anything Dumble clone related was huge from 2002-2013

20. playthecray

playthecray Member

Still doing that dance. Lol.

Thesleepstalker and Snottyboy like this.