TGP Amp 'Darlings' over the years?

RayBarbeeMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure but fuchs and the demand for them seems to have evaporated. I sold one recently but almost had to give it away. They've also quit answering phones or emails. But then for a company who's bread and butter is making slightly altered copies of someone else's circuits, they've been remarkably uncooperative with repair shops.

Friedman seems to be going strong, deservedly so. Not only great amps but fairly easy to deal with (see above).

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
I somehow never got the gene which makes me break out in hives for not having the most absolutely new thing. I count myself lucky. Lots of great amps on the used market at relatively attainable prices.

mountain blues

Supporting Member
This thread is awesome, but makes me feel old! I recall it as follows:

2002-2007:
Balls (first really great 18-watt Marshall amp I recall)
Reinhardt (started with the 18-watt Marshall and went way beyond that)
DST (another great 18-watt Marshall with a Hi-Watt side, too)
Maven Peel (I wanted a Zeeta so bad!)
Alessandro (I always wanted a Black N Tan)
Bruno (most notably the Underground 30)
Komet (started with the Constellation, IIRC)
Two Rock (early stuff, like Emerald, Emerald Pro and Ruby)
Matchless (HC/DC and Clubman)
Badcat (Blackcat and Hotcat)
Clark
Victoria
THD
Peters
Fargen (Blackbird was the original big seller)
Carr (Slant 6 was huge)
Straub (amazing hot-rodded Plexi tones in the Cantus)
Aiken (my Intruder is still one of my favorite amps! Best master volume EVER!)
Allen (various amps)
Gries (various amps)
Valvetech Hayseed
Gabriel Voxer
Xits
Mojave (never took off on TGP but had a cult following)
Germino (although he hadn't settled into his current model lineup yet - I recall the Rock Crusher being a great amp)
Roccaforte (amazing amps and he was on TGP until he got into a nasty troll fight and disappeared; my fave is his Custom 40)
Divided by 13 (FTR 37 started it all!)
Top Hat (his King Royale had a big following; I was a fan of his Supreme 16 and Vanderbilt 33; I hear his Emplexador is amazing)
Mad Professor (CS-101 and then the CS-40 -- only for the uber elite!)
Dr. Z (early faves were the Carmen Ghia, Maz 18 and Route 66)
65 Amps (origina 18 watt)

2007-2012:
RedPlate
Carol Ann
Dr. Z (newer amps)
Carr (newer amps)
Bogner
Fuchs
Reeves
Longhorn
Quinn
Jackson
Bludotone
Sebago Sound
3 Monkeys
Morgan
65 Amps (all the other models)
Tungsten

2012-present
Lazy J
Suhr
Metropoulos
Friedman
3rd Power
Nolatone
Swart
Morris
Gladius
Magic

There are many others. But that's all that I can recall at the moment. This would be fun to do for luthiers, pickups and effects, too!

Wow. You just encapsulated the last 18 years of my life on Gear Page.

mcdyas

Silver Supporting Member
Around the time I got here, 65 Amps was becoming a big deal. At this point, I'm not sure if the company is still going. Dan Boul seems to be working for Line 6 now.

Like some others, I remember guys showing off amps from Reinhardt, Dr. Z., Divided by 13, Top Hat, Germino, and some others around that time. Funny to think that I never got around to trying amps from most of those builders.
Hey, I'm just getting into 65 Amps now-

gldtp99

Xits Amps

Morgan Amps

Epiphone Valve Jr

Divided by 13

Carol-Ann

And many others that were "Darlings" of TGP at one time or another.

I'd read the posts about these kinds of amps but I'd keep playing my '65 BF Bandmaster head, '76 Marshall 1987, and '81 Marshall 2204 and sometimes some Hylight Hiwatts.

I never felt I was missing out by not jumping on the "Hot Amp of the Week" bandwagon.

:cool::cool::cool:

ce24fan

I got into TGP when Carr and Reinhardt were all the rage. (04-06 maybe?). At that time, it was also the thing to buy a Fender Blues Jr and mod it.

How many TGPers were REALLY old school and sent off for a Kendrick demo cassette back in the 90's?

ce24fan

Amps were like pedals are today back then. I bought a bogner xtc and Fuchs ods 100 in part, because of this place.

Thank Christ pedals are cheaper.

Speaking of "amps were like pedals", what ever happened to the Clay Jones Overdrive craze? Does anyone still use them or are we waiting for them to be discovered again so that they'll be going for 5k plus on Reverb?

C

JZG

I can't think of any amp line that sparked more posts and dancing banana emojis than Two Rock. This is probably around 2010ish??? Now granted, those were the threads I was reading, so maybe there were other amps that were equally as desirable and/or controversial. I mean, there were a lot of flavor of the month type things, but it seemed to me that the Two Rock discussions stayed around for awhile.

timmytVA

Silver Supporting Member
Great thread! How many have built a lasting business solely on amps and amp-adjacent products like pedals and attenuators? That leaves out the Suhrs and Friedmans of the world who also make guitars and other stuff.

Dr. Z
Allen
Germino
Swart

who else?

Tim

Gemini2

I remember lots of THD Univalve praise. And the 2X12 mix of celestion speakers, I think it was Greenback and a V30.
And lots of Peavey Classic 30 love.
I still have my C30 which is running NOS GE’s in the preamp and a Kendrick brown frame speaker. Reminds me of the good ole days when I couldn’t afford boutique so I bought cheap and gradually added mods. It actually sounds more Fender now than some Fenders I’ve played through. Staying on topic, I recall many of the eras and darlings already mentioned. Man I lusted for a D/13 and a TopHat but never jumped.

Gemini2

Anything Dumble clone related was huge from 2002-2013
True. I bought a Ceriatone BM50 HRM combo during that period, 2011 - 2012. Even though the drive channel was ultimately not my cup of gravy I kind of wish I still had it now because the cleans were absolutely heaven. But man, what a loud amp.

Trending Topics