TGP Analog Photographers- post your favorite Shots!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wonggei, Feb 15, 2015.

1. wonggei

wonggei Member

I've started shooting film again, and its sparked a renewed interest in photography for me. I realized that i've processed my pictures to look like film, so why not just shoot with the real thing. Really like the old school look of film. Below is a shot i took with an old Ricoh GR camera, with some cheap lomography 800 ISO film

Post your favorite shots!

[​IMG]Jackson Heights, Queens by Wonggei St, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. greyhound

greyhound Supporting Member

3. wonggei

wonggei Member

4. shane88

shane88 Member

there's an app for that :)

digi is fast, cheap & easy (a bit like me) ... i'll never go back

5. badger146

badger146 Member

love those shots greyhound!
    i shot film too, but primarily for family stuff (holiday, etc), a bit of landscape and street as well, but nothing worth posting

6. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

There is some nice photography in this thread. I too, USED TO shoot film, and loved the technology of it. I did my own darkroom work for the most part (I was also the founding partner in a custom photo lab business in Northern California, so I had some great equipment and it wasn't just a hobby for me). Here is a photograph that I think is a pretty good image, but also is very interesting technically. It was shot on the now long extinct Polaroid 35mm PolaPan stock, and processed in their proprietary 35mm film processing system. The behavior of the film was similar to Kodak Tri-X - grainy but sharp, with a very crisp and visually "hard clipping" sensitometric curve. Here it is:

[​IMG]

7. feet

feet Supporting Member

i do love and miss film, but i hardly ever do it anymore. i'm all set up for it, i just somehow dont. i'm really bad at finishing a roll. but i love what i can do, and what it forces me to do. its very intentional. being locked into an idea, a format, an iso, a film type... a little scary working with live ammo and it sucks not to have confirmation and exif data, but you just gotta trust it, i guess. if you know what you're doing, and you're good, you'll be ok.

here's some old stuff that is period correct, back from when i was just starting out. i didn't use cool film back then, just regular ass kodak from target:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's a few more recent ones from a camping trip a few summers ago. velvia 50, 50mm 1.4 lens, if memory serves:

[​IMG]om nom by the photographic minority, on Flickr

[​IMG]andy by the photographic minority, on Flickr

i don't have a whole lot of "good" or "art" stuff on line. being less bad at photography is a more recent development. :/ i was more "documentary" in my youth, and a little more of an "artist" now, if you could call it that.

8. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Still have my B&W lab but haven't used it in a dozen years. I used to develop film in very hot water so the emultion would crack and get super grainy.
    Use a negative scanner now. Don't miss mixing chemicals.
    Here is some of my favorite shoots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Just a cat with a crooked horizon, but there's something that sets film apart. Nikon F2AS with 50mm f/1.4 and Ektachrome.

Burton
    [​IMG]

10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Some of my faves:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. feet

feet Supporting Member

that's part of it for me. the ability to take something mundane and commonplace and render it into something special. that's why i like the last pic i posted so much. its just a stupid nothing candid, but watching the background fade away like that... it goes from renoir to full on monet. you can take your silly candids and give it this lovely impressionistic quality. its why i have a full frame boner, too.

this feels very nykvist to me. love it. and i would never have the patience to slow water down like that with film. especially to render it all fog and glass like that. you're a very brave (and talented) man.

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Thank you! I love minimalistic stuff and a had some luck shooting that one. :)

13. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

14. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I miss film. My ex was a photographer and cinematographer. We built a dark room at our house and had a blast. Medium format was our favorite. One of her pictures of the Pasadena Bridges is still dislpayed at the Pasadena City Hall. This was during the early to mid 80's. Digital has its strengths, but I still like the way film looks when done properly...

When we divorced, I got all my guitar gear, she got all the camera gear and film... :(

Wish I could find some of them... They were truly beautiful...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  15. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

A few of my favorite film shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. badger146

badger146 Member

like this one and those long exposure are great!

i love film B&W, but still couldn't get the hang of it....it's always too washed up/overexposed. the one that i got right is usually the one with a bad angle/moment etc, lol

17. choucas09

choucas09 Member

18. wonggei

wonggei Member

Those are really great shots- i just took a bunch of snapshots of my son, and i can't wait to see how they turn out

19. wonggei

wonggei Member

Ha i get that, and its the reason i gave up film in the first place. I am digging film for the moment because irequires more patience in not only taking your time because each shot costs money, but also because its not instant gratification like a digital camera where you can take picture after picture and just delete the 99% that you don't want.

Sometimes its nice to be pleasantly surprised =)

20. wonggei

wonggei Member