TGP..any appreciation for Nokie Edwards..Ventures

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Feb 22, 2012.

1. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

My first concert that my Dad took me to in Japan in the 60's was The Ventures

I was at Haneda airport for 10 hours just to get to meet the Ventures..good times

[​IMG]

2. rspencer

rspencer Member

I love the Ventures.
    Less flashy than most other "surf" bands which is neither good nor bad, as I love Dick Dale too).
    Great melodic sense.

3. cheetah77

cheetah77 Supporting Member

Love The Ventures, you were lucky to see them in Japan in the 60s. Was it the amazing 65 tour?

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

Helluva picker, that's for sure...

I had an encounter in around '96 with a woman claiming to be Nokie's sister. I was playing at a small bar in Tacoma, WA (which incidentally is The Ventures' home town), when a woman started slurring to me that she was Nokie's sister, and if I wanted to make REAL money I should move to Japan and play country music, like Nokie was doing. :facepalm

5. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

Nokie Edwards played at the Santa Cruz Guitar 35th Anniversary get together a few months ago and he can really play; nice guy as well. I asked him about his schedule and he was off to Europe and had a pretty full set of shows over the first few months of this year and beyond.

The Ventures were a big part of the music scene and their music will continue to be played for generations.

6. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Good G_d yes

I got turned onto the Ventures in like '93 or so, collected scads of their original LPs. A couple of my favorites : "Surfing" and "Going to a Ventures Dance Party"

Edwards is a subtle master, tremendous touch and tone

7. Lone Bear

Lone Bear Member

I met him about 5 years ago at the Mesquite Guitar Festival "Art Greenhaw’s International Guitar Celebration", Mesquite, Texas. He's a nice, quiet man but he was showing his age.

8. burns

burns Member

Listen to the Live In Japan 65 album - Nokie's on fire! Also Don Wilson's like the best rhythm guitar player evah!

9. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

The Venture's "On Stage" '65 album is the best. I love the sound of that album (screaming people aside). The guitar tones are amazing on that.

10. SG_Growler

SG_Growler Member

YES!
    All of "my" first records were my dad's 45s. He was apparently a big surf guy. Tones of Ventures and Jan&Dean. To this day I still love the Ventures. They're half the reason I bought a reverb pedal.

11. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I'm obsessed w/ the Live in Japan '65 record.. love it !!

12. xpatico

xpatico Member

I guess the Live in Japan record left its mark on me. To this day, the laptop manufacturer name is pronounced TOE shi bah as stated by the MC in his introduction of the band.
    " american liberty records, Japan's Toshiba records. . . . . . . .hashe mashe kasheow, Ladies and gentlemen. . . . . . . . THE VENTURES!

13. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Live in Japan is a different record than "On Stage". On Stage starts out with the intro you mentioned:

[​IMG]

14. xpatico

xpatico Member

sorry about my misquote, I was indeed confusing the two. Thanks for the correction

15. starfish

starfish Member

The Ventures have stood the test of time. Jazzmaster love! :)

Have you seen this documentary?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

One of the all time greats for sure.

17. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

Yep I love the Ventures!!! Live in Japan is a must have recording. Mel Taylor's drumming is a standout on that record as well. That band was a well oiled machine.

18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Like the first time I heard the Beatles, when I first heard the Ventures I thought to myself: "Gee's, I didn't know a guitar could sound like that!"...and that sealed the deal for the nearly 50 year old callouses I now have on my fingertips. Now if I could only do something about my recessive music talent gene. Oh well, Ventures music is fun to try and play even if I seldom get it right ;).

19. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Sure. I always loved their cover of "Walk Don't Run" enough to finally learn it myself. I love all those 50s/60s guitar instrumentals: Apache, Sleepwalk, and so on.

=K

20. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Just another vote in favor of the ridiculous awesomeness of Live in Japan. Particularly like the versions of "I Feel Fine" and "When You Walk into the Room." What a tight band. I often wonder if the source tapes are slightly sped up given how well it locks together as such quick tempos.