• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

TGP blasphemy: I've got gear money and I can't think of anything to spend it on. Guitar suggestions?

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
So before we get started, I'm married. What this means for me is that I cannot spend any of my paychecks on gear, I have to sell my current gear to fund any new gear purchases. This means that if you tell me to take the family to Disneyland or on a vacation, that's gear money that's gone forever so it ain't gonna happen. Very soon I will have a little more that $3k to spend on something, likely a guitar, but at this point I have absolutely no idea what that will be.

Now, I have 3 amazing guitars that I love. A Bacchus (Japanese) Les Paul that is amazing, a Tele partscaster that is perfect, and a cheap LP Special copy with P-90's that amazingly sounds and feels just as great as the other two.

On the amp front I've got everything I need. I'm a basic player and have no need for any pedals either.

I've thought about upgrading to a better LP or a better LP Special, but every time I pick up these guitars they honestly feel amazing (yes, even the cheap LP Special clone) and I can't imagine finding a replacement that played so much better that it would justify the price difference. As for the Tele, I'm currently selling off a Danocaster because of how well my partscaster compared to it and I have no need for 2 Tele's. Pickups have been swapped out on everything too.

I guess if I buy anything it's probably going to be another guitar.

So as for my style, southern rock and blues are what I play mostly. Low to mid gain stuff in the vein of Marc Ford and The Black Crowes. I'm not looking for anything that covers the ground I've already got and that goes for pickups too. I DO NOT LIKE STRATS. I've owned SG's, 335's, Reverends with P-90's and humbuckers, a humbucker Tele, a Guild Bluesbird, etc and sold them all off. On top of that I've owned a Tele Deluxe with Wide Range Humbuckers, a Cabronita, and I've tried Mini-hums and Firebirds in a Tele I used to own too, none of those worked for me enough to keep either. I've tried Goldfoil pickups too and don't really like them.

If anything, I need a guitar that rocks. P-90's, PAF's, and Tele's do the low to medium gain rock thing amazingly. I need something of a different flavor that rocks just as well. Is there anything out there that I'm missing? Or has TGP led me to the end of the road? I really don't know what else to blow my money on.

First-world problem I know.

Digidog

Get yourself a really nice gigging suit?

Or take your wife to a really nice concert, with matching dinner?

GAS related suggestions, but not right up GAS-alley :D

stratter

Honest to god, I thought I was set in amps too until I tried out a few boutique ones. It really can make or break "your sound".

bibir

+1 to stratter, I always thought I settled on amp division with my deluxe reverb, until last year I decided to buy a carr amp. Since that day (5months ago) I have always thankful I made that decision, that amp has inspired a new dimension in my playing, and I practice more since I had that amp.

If you are looking for a guitar, I suggest a Trussart guitar, you should try one to know how much it really differs from any gibson/fender even though it got the same style.

Corinthian

Put it away until you find something you really want. No point spending it just for the sake of spending it, and if you do chances are as soon as you do you'll spot something you wish you'd bought instead.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I've been in the gigging guitar game as a weekend warrior for nearly 50 years and have tried about everything out there. The money I made with my bands was more mad money allowing me to try a lot of different stuff along the way, so it was a fun trip.

So, while personal preference plays into this, here's my take on what impressed me guitar-wise. After trying a bunch of different guitars and not caring for humbuckers, a good Strat ended up being my go-to guitar...which the OP doesn't care for. However, I've tried numerous Tele's over the years, but none ever did much for me. Cool sound and all but Tele twang was for someone else. However, less than a year ago, I stopped by my local Fender, Anderson, Suhr, PRS, etc. dealer to ask them a question about something unrelated and, while I was waiting, I played a few guitars, just for fun, to kill some time. While doing this, I plugged in a plain Jane looking Tele and this huge tone came jumping out of the amp...which immediately got my attention. I kept playing it thinking it was an expensive Fender Custom Shop model only to find out it was a sub $1k, MIM, 50's Baja model :eek:. I never heard a Tele sound like this...a big, piano-like, balanced tone that had to be the best, all around electric guitar sound I've ever experienced, and its chunky neck fit like a glove...so it had to come home with me. And I still gravitate to it even though I'm a Strat guy! And while it will twang if needed, this is not your grandfather's Tele! Point being, if you've never plugged one of the Fender 50's Baja Tele's in, you might be in for a treat as the "bang for the buck" of this guitar is off the scale, IMO. I'm no longer gigging...but having this big tone is such a pleasure just entertaining myself on the couch it makes me wish I were still gigging...and I'm getting the itch.

Another thing that really impressed me recently is an inexpensive guitar amp. First off, I am a tube snob of the highest order and in my last 5 years of gigging, I played & loved a Komet 60...best all around amp I ever plugged into...but, couldn't justify keeping such a powerful & expensive amp just for den playing in my gigging retirement, so I sold it. So, I looked around for a toneful amp that would cover my den playing needs but one that would also cover any "grab & go" scenario's if I got invited to a jam or something. Again, after trying many over the years, I didn't think a solid state amp would satisfy me, so I kinda looked more for a tube amp but, in the back of my mind, I didn't want the typical tube related maintenance headaches either. So, along comes this new Boss Katana line of solid state amps that were getting rave reviews from many tube guys like me. So, it had me very curious...so I figured what the heck, I could always send it back if I didn't care for it. So I ordered the 100w/1x12 combo and, quite to my surprise, this thing sounded pretty good with nice tubey tone and feel under the fingers...and it was around $300. It might come under the general heading of "modeler" but it really doesn't model a gazillion amps...it just does a good example of a generic, plug & play tube amp that can also be software modified if you want to dig deeper. And this amp still amazes this old tube snob. No, it ain't no Komet...but it has respectable tone & feel with no tube related headaches. Right out of the box, I set the tone controls to noon and had a decent sound with enough leeway to lean the amp in practically any direction without even touching the software. And its built-in power scaling is great for setting the amp up in different size rooms. Kick the tires if you get the chance, you might be as surprised as I was ;).

The "other" guitar I like is Rickenbacker, especially their 12 string's. So distinctive and so different than anything else out there. If I had the funds, I'd probably have a dozen around for when the mood strikes. I've been eyeing up one of their newer walnut models but don't currently have the funds to grab one. But I'm a child of the 60's when Rickenbacker's were the hottest guitars around and it was difficult to even find one let alone buy it!

Now, one of the new Americam Professional Jassmaster's has caught my eye. Haven't played one of those in years and the modern appointments make it very appealing to me...so it looks like I'm going to have to kick the tires to see if it "fits". Back in the day, a Jazzmaster was my first good guitar and I have fond memories of it even though a Strat was my gigging workhorse guitar.

Last edited:

Shayski

Be patient, wait until you find something you really want. It's like the old saying goes, "money burns a hole in your pocket." Don't worry, if your anything like me it won't take to long.

bismark

Owning 3 amazing guitars that you love is more than good enough. Don't spend for the sake of spending. TGP is evil, best to stay away.

bgmacaw

Put it away until you find something you really want. No point spending it just for the sake of spending it, and if you do chances are as soon as you do you'll spot something you wish you'd bought instead.
I'm sure his wife can find something important "for the house" to spend that $3k on right now. :confused:

But, to the OP, I'd say look at some acoustics and resonators. I'd suggest a National Reso-lectric.

Kostas

...I need something of a different flavor that rocks just as well...
Check TV Jones pickups. Actually not all his pickups if you want a different flavor from what you have and stay in Filtertron territory. The Classic Plus/Classic combo and the B. Setzer pickups. They scream when pushed but there are touch sensitive and they have sweet cleans, different from PAF style humbuckers. You can put them in an existing guitar or design/assemble a guitar around them, they sound good on all guitars not just hollow bodies.

Another option is to check a Fender Jaguar. The scale difference is enough to make a difference from most guitars.

Squirrel away your gear money someplace safe, and only spend it on something that you are excited about. I wouldn't spend it just to spend it. It's a lot of fun to browse guitars and amps knowing that you really could buy something great on the spot when you the right guitar or amp or whatever comes along.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom