• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

TGP changed the world

catpeople

In recent issues of the Musician's Friend catalog, I've noticed more and more companies are offering hand-wired or hand-painted pedals. I have to believe this is due to cork-sniffery and TGP, since they sound exactly the same as the (much) cheaper production models and there's no objective reason to buy the hand-wired/hand-painted ones other than to brag about it.

When I build a pedal, I use production circuits if/when there is no qualitative difference in either sound or build quality. However, there are times when a hand-wired circuit can be better in either or both.

Faldoe

It may be a attributed to TGP or it could also be that more """pro""" players are using such pedals (and perhaps because of finding out about them via TGP) and MF put an eye to those companies because of them.

JRMagnus

I Doubt it's due to TGP. People like authenticity and this is how it can be offered in pedal form.

coltonius

Señor Member
I scored a brand new, hand painted Pollinator fuzz for $50 less than a regular production model. That's basically the only reason I pulled the trigger!

Footbutt

so... would there be no objective reason to buy a handwired amp other than to brag about it?

apples and oranges, i know, but quality generally comes with time and effort put into something made by hand.

tommygunn1986

There's just more options now. I don't see anything wrong with that. The cheap stuff certainly isn't going anywhere. In fact, cheap gear keeps getting better and better too. If someone wants to buy a hand painted, hand wired piece of gear, that's cool. If they want to be pretentious about it, that's their prerogative too; I'm not gonna be friends with them though. If I could, I'd only buy small company, USA made stuff just because it's good for our economy. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money though.

lux_interior

In recent issues of the Musician's Friend catalog, I've noticed more and more companies are offering hand-wired or hand-painted pedals. I have to believe this is due to cork-sniffery and TGP, since they sound exactly the same as the (much) cheaper production models and there's no objective reason to buy the hand-wired/hand-painted ones other than to brag about it.
The boutique FX industry has been going on far longer than TGP, and you are giving its presence way too much credit for something as obvious as the consumer need for top shelf, luxury or just boutique products that cover some specific needs that have been analysed again and again. Plus, it's not representative of what's really out there, especially outside the US. Its Effects section is just a hangout for people interested in gear items that most of them are rather obscure to most players. To think that the FX world begins and ends at TGP is a common misconception among some TGPers. As for "all of them sounding exactly the same as the cheaper ones", that's such a big blanket statement that I don't even expect you believing it's really true...

goaway

could've been harmony central before the mass exodus seeing as how musicians friend owns that site. just sayin

rigg

I have to admit that I have seen more ridiculous thread titles in the Pub Section. I guess it was an effective title since I opened and read the "insightful" 1st post that followed.

:aok detective. You've solved this case.

ispunk

Silver Supporting Member
♪♪♪ We are the world, we are the gear hounds
Gonna make a better life with hand painted pedals
There's a choice we're making, no PCBs for me
The world's gonna be brighter place with blue LEDs ♪♪♪

Last edited:

vhollund

♪♪♪ and a 2000 dollar Klon for everyooooooooone ♪♪♪

and a...

catpeople

You guys are missing the point. I'm not talking about hand wired pedals being available at MF. I'm talking about production pedals that are also available in hand wired as an option, for an extra $120 usually. Same with production silk screened pedals also available in hand painted as an option.

Nothing wrong with hand wired amps. What amuses me is MF has found a way to extract even more money from TGP types by offering completely redundant items that have zero objective advantage over production models.

JPF

The angle of incidence = the angle of refraction. Perhaps TGP is merely a reflection? If not, we've got a lot to answer for...;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom