TGP Collective Super Chops Thread (Course Started 02/01/2010)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Kappy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kniren

kniren Member

Week 7 - Day 2 116bpm

I had a hard time with both the chords and the soloing. I couldn't ever think in terms of key centers. I've recorded the last pass, but the results are really AWFUL, so I don't ever think on posting it here.

Cheers,
    Alex

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Really glad to see people are still using this thread. Hope you guys get tons out of the course! Best of luck to you all!

Dave

3. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Can't thank you enough Dave for being the OP on this thread. Don't remember what I was looking for when I discovered TGP and the SC thread but it was a lucky day.

4. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

My 2 cents...

Sounds like you're fingers are faster than your brain --my problem also. Slow down! :) This is valuable information and you'll miss out if you rush it.

I started the triplets this week at 90 bpm and totally got my butt kicked with the chords and solo. Cranked it down to 80 and can mentally keep up now. I make tons of mistakes but I'm able make the changes. All 49 chords, 22 key changes & altered scales on the V7 and bII7 chords.

5. kniren

kniren Member

I did days 3 and 4 at 110bpm and was a little bit better, but I felt I needed greater comprehension of the melodic modes. Today I can't make the program, my hand hurts a little and I don't want to hurt myself overpracticing.

I can say up to this moment that the mayor area of improvement for me has been the new voicings, that has opened some doors for me aswell as fortifying my hands.

I also know now the areas I need to put more effort to.

I hope feeling better for tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Alex

6. FatJeff

FatJeff Member

Good work, kniren, hang in there - and don't feel guilty taking a day off here or there. This is your program.

7. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Someone earlier in the thread said SC makes you confront your weaknesses, and they were right. It makes me focus on things I've dabbled with but never got down.

Finished week 8. Had to play constant triplets over a slower tempo with tons of chords. Started at 80 bpm and finished at 86. Too many mistakes but I feel good about my progress.

8. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

The only reading required is when figuring out the chord fingerings. You at least need to be able to name the notes on the staff. The fingerings are included and that helps a bunch.

9. kniren

kniren Member

Hello mates.

Today my arm was nearly healed, so I decided to resume my journey.

I've reviewed 3-A at 80bpm, YUP, THAT SLOW.

These days I've felt that I lack of knowledge of altered scales, whole tone and whole-half scales, so I've decided to dive into it. As I cannot play the guitar, I've immersed myself into the Mark Levine's again, and this time, I'm taking notes on a little notebook, this way I can do fast consultation on paramount topics.

I'm happy I did this jump back, as I felt a major improvement in only 2 hours.

Cheers,
    Alex

10. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Starting week 10, exercise 5A today. The chords are from "Blues for Alice", in the key of C.

It has 19 chord changes in 12 bars. But after playing "All the Things You Are" for 2 weeks that's not as intimidating as it used to be.

11. shredmaster

shredmaster Member

guys, I read first few pages and interested to get started. I am little confuse with guitar settings. Do you guys set your guitar action high and use .13 gauge string? what kind of guitar do you guys use? electric or acoustic? or classical? what kinda of setting?

12. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Mostly I use a strat with .10's and medium/low action. Sometimes I use my acoustic or archtop which have .13's and low action.

You definitely don't want high action. The chords in SC are really hard and you risk injuring your fretting hand. Good luck!

13. shredmaster

shredmaster Member

the equipment section suggest we should not use string anything smaller than .12 and set action to medium high to elimiate buzzes, strengthen the left hand and develop acuracy for the right hand. so i guess nobody is follow this section.

14. kniren

kniren Member

My strat with 10. is hard enough to almost hurt myself with the program. I felt my hand went stronger indeed. WATCH OUT, dont overpractice. The howards voicings are pretty hard, and could be dangerous.

With some luck I will be starting All The Things You Are today, I hope my wrist is ok :(

Cheers, Alex

15. shredmaster

shredmaster Member

good to know, i will leave the 10s on the guitar. planning to start after the long weekend. cheer, steven

16. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Week 10, day 3. Officially half way through SC! Feeling really good about my progress. Every day the scales and target notes become a little easier to hit.

This week I'm doing triplets on Blues for Alice. So far I've topped out at 96 b.p.m. and I can only do that if I'm focused.

17. kniren

kniren Member

4-A (Section A) 80bpm

Straight triplets and chords moving at lightspeed. Two weeks barely playing. The result is what it is. Bad as hell. Furthermore, I've recorded myself playing the 3rd pass.

I only share this to encourage the good people of TGP. Repeat with me: You can't go worst than Alex :bonk (Don't laugh at me plz)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ULLF7H9

Cheers,
    Alex

18. kniren

kniren Member

4-a (DAY 4) 92bpm

No one posts any more?

I'm having tons of problems this week, I'm slow because I go far!

Incrementing speed 4bpm/day, it feels fine. Have trouble on the fast changes of the A section, too many alternatives.

Cheers,
    Alex

19. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Glad you're still going Alex. I went on vacation and took a few days off. Starting up tomorrow in the middle of 5A.

20. shredmaster

shredmaster Member

try to start the program this morning, a lot trouble figuring out the chords. only made through first few measure. and the fingering is hard too. i am planning to write down all the chords in tab.