TGP Collective Super Chops Thread (Course Started 02/01/2010)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Kappy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

No. I read them and memorized them

Tab would be good if I was figuring fingerings of my own

2. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Btw, I have been working on my own straight 8th note etudes
    Ive done like 15 so far thus continuing Howards lessons
    And Ive done many series of etudes and such
    And I may put the time in to memorize or not.

Ive memorized 1a and it was a feat. Took me a couple
    months with hit and miss practise
    I think 2a is next

3. Szymon Chudy

Szymon Chudy Member

I'm really interested in that workout, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I understand very well the theoretical principles of improvisation. Actually I'm good with modes and touched a bit of melodic minor and harmonic minor. But I miss the freedom when it's time to play with complex harmony. I've tried to start week one today, but after learning voicings (which took 1h), I found that it's really hard to play even just scales in that harmony. Do you think I should force myself to do that even if I don't like the sound or should I do something before taking course?

And btw - is here anybody who want to start with me? With the company is easier and more fun;)

4. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

I'm planning to start soon...if I can ever get my professional life to slow. Don't count on me though.

5. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

I'd be willing to start with some other cats as well! PM me if any of you are interested / get time and we'll work out the deets!

6. vibeman27

vibeman27 Member

Hi Guys,
    just a note to let all of you know that I am still alive but not performing. I do highly recommend Superchops to everyone as I have learned some disciplines that still stick with me. There were more medical situations and I am presently awaiting surgery for still another Trigger Finger. This time it is the left thumb. So even though I no longer anticipate playing out in the clubs and bars etc., I would like to think that Superchops has helped me tremendously. And even though I now sound like ****, believe me it is a lot better **** than before superchops.:dude
    I am now 77 and if I can get my "energies" up and running, I just might be able to sound decent again. Superchops was fun, hard work, and worth it.

BruceW
    a vibes player :cool:

p.s. This should bring the thread back to the top of the heap!!! My old practice video is post 350 and a tune is post 353 for all you newbies. Don't give up. It will be worth it one way or another, you'll see.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. masterguerrero

masterguerrero Member

hello and greetings from Portugal!
    I was wondering if this thread is still active. I hope someone can reply to me.

I started this book and i'm on the first week so i had some question to all of you who finished or at least went through the book in some way.

1- is it ok to change the fingerings of some voicings, due to the difficulty of them, and keep the program going?

2- In the first week the tempo objective is 60bpm. Is a little slow for me. I'm in day 5 with 80bpm. Is this ok? Can i do this whenever the tempo is not suitable to me?

Thanks

8. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Hi masterguerrero. Good luck with your progress.

My opinion is you can change the fingerings to suit yourself. I had to leave out a few notes here and there.

I would caution about going too fast too soon, even if it seems easy. The tempo creeps up fast enough going only 2 clicks per day! :)

One of the benefits I got from the course was focusing on chord tones. Every time the chord changed I'd try to land on a note that matched the chord - roots, 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths and alterations (b5, #5, b9 #9). Going slow makes this easier to do.

Hope that helps!
    Marty

9. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

Hi masterguerro.

I also recommend sticking with the slow tempos. Not just because it gets fast enough later, but it is good practice to play well and maintain focus at that slower tempo. One of the main benefits of the course, for me, was that my typical jazz solos now seem short ... Keeping intensity for those long improvisations helped with my mental endurance.

10. cuberfreak

cuberfreak Member

I'm planning to start the Super Chops course and am currently working out the chord voicings. What's confusing me a little is the B7 (-9) chord in line 4 of Lesson 1 A. Assuming the x Symbol with the two dots is a double sharp, then the written chord should be a B7(+9) or B7(#9) with a D as 9th. If it were a B7(-9) the 9th would be a C. The same problem occurs with the F#+7(-9) chord in line 6. Can someone confirm this? Did H.R. make a mistake naming his chords or did I make one reading them?

11. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

You are right, the X is a double sharp. This threw me off initially too. When you analyze it closely, it makes sense though.

12. ala02c

ala02c Member

Hey Cuber I too am planning on starting the course but in the process of working these chords out. Did you ever confirm the "B7(-9)" in line 4? I think he labeled it incorrectly. In line 9 I see the exact same notation and it is labeled as "B7(+9)" which matches the staff notes. Any input from anyone else? Thanks much!

13. cuberfreak

cuberfreak Member

Yes it is a sharp nine chord, the same as in line 9. meaning 7(+9).
    If you look at lesson 1B it is written correctly.

14. Andyguitar66

Andyguitar66 Member

Hello all, I started the HR Superchops course 3 weeks ago and was interested to see if anyone else wants to join me. I've read most of this thread and love the idea of a few musicians working and supporting others trying this course out. I'm on the third week and am enjoying the routine. The 8th notes get tiring, particularly in the last 10 minute section, but overall I've been looking forward to practicing everyday.
    One thing I haven't heard in the improv, is practicing the songs with a different goal for each chorus. One chorus hitting the roots, another the thirds, then fifths and sevenths and eventually tensions on the chords. This is a great way of really hearing the different notes in relation to the chords. This can be down with scales as well, and arpeggios and pretty much any musical variable. Keeps it interesting to me and it's improving my ears and chops.
    The chords are sometimes ridiculous but I only cheat on the ones that hurt my hand. With a little extra work the voicing are worth it.
    Anyone interested?

Andy

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

I'd like to join you, Andy, but I'm focusing on other things at the mo. My first successful pass through was rewarding. I'd be up for doing it again in a few months, after I've gotten some stuff worked out. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

Dave

16. Andyguitar66

Andyguitar66 Member

On week 4, working hard everyday, sometimes getting a second session playing over the changes. Working Oliver Nelson's "Cascades" at the same time to measure progress. That is also almost all 8th notes, but with more of a swing feel. I can play it 70% of the actual tempo but as my hands get stronger will hopefully increase to full speed.

17. Andyguitar66

Andyguitar66 Member

Getting there, this is the review week when you are going over the first 6 chord progressions from the previous 6 weeks and doing one a day at a more advanced tempo. My hands do feel stronger, but better than that I'm more sure handed and less indecisive. Still have a mental thing with certain chords, like C#m7 or F#7, still not as quick on those changes as I'd like to be, some form of a mental block.
    Looking forward to my gig on Thursday, will not try and do too much different but like the idea of being more confident with my hands.

18. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Have you figured out the names of the tunes in the book?

I love that book, I got into the whole learning concept about twenty years ago. Now I just pull it out and play through the written solos in the book. They have great fingerings and you notice how the moves become similar ala Mr Roberts.

The idea behind the book's written solo's, being an endless stream of 8th notes, is an idea I still do all the time in practice.

19. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Sounds like you're doing great Andy. Good luck and keep us updated!

Marty

20. flavaham

flavaham Member

I downloaded the book and read through to the first week...and I guess I'm just not a jazz guy AT ALL because these progressions are a bit involved for me. I'm more of a rock guy as many of you know so here's my question - If I were to apply this same practice method to tunes that I might play more regularly, (like some Grateful Dead, Zeppelin, Allman Bros, Phish, etc...) would I still see reasonable results? Is this just a jazz thing? The tunes I play have a ton of room for improv so I assume that I could get something out of it. Maybe? No? I'm gonna give it a go and see either way...why not?

If not, what's a good way to start to get into these types of tunes? I actually want to learn how to approach a standard at some point but they still seem to elude me for whatever reason. They intimidate me to start. I know theory pretty well but I just can't think fast enough to get these to sound good.

I think this would be a cool thing to try so any advice would be cool. Thanks!