TGP Collective Super Chops Thread (Course Started 02/01/2010)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Kappy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

I remember this book being mentioned by my teachers when i studied at music school.

The main criticism given of the book given by a teacher i admired was that it was too tempo focused, rather ideas focused. It put me off attempting to try it....

2. kuschnjo

kuschnjo Member

Well, the title says its about chops rather than melodic improvisation.
    There are many paths to reach the same goal. This is just one of those.

3. BenoA

BenoA Member

Cool thread but do I have to read the 56 pages to get starded??? Just kidding :)

I downloaded the book, printed the instructions and will give it a try!

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

I know, imagine have to read 56 pages to get the rudiments of a demanding discipline like Jazz guitar!

;)

5. kuschnjo

kuschnjo Member

My program got to a halt after week two.
    I underestimated the chord voicings and are unable put down the week 3 backing track in any tempo.
    I'll try to get back it ASAP.

6. mhz88

mhz88 Member

I just started this too.. On the pages before project 1-a do everyone else just skim through? Seems like familiar info,?

7. Kappy

Kappy Member

I think the voicings are a guide/suggestion, not required for the course. I think I got more out of learning the voicings than I did from the single note playing. ;) But I do remember being slowed down by the voicings myself. It was a bitch! But toward the end, I started to get pretty comfortable with (most of) them. (There's a couple I still can barely grip.)

Good luck!

8. mhz88

mhz88 Member

You are absolutely right! What did u for the solo exercise?

Theres a guy here who did it differently

9. kuschnjo

kuschnjo Member

Just started week 20 of the course. My only regret is that I did not know about the course 10 years earlier. It did tremendous things to my playing.
    Currently I'm thinking what to look after Superchops - any suggestions?

I'd like to look more into the chords/voicings and how to apply them, but any suggestion is valid.

10. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

Just wanted to say congrats on completing the course! Seems like it's been a long time since anyone has made it all the way. i don't have any suggestions other than keep doing the same program with different songs.

I couldn't agree more about it making me a better player. Following chord changes without the benefit of rests for 3, 10 min. sessions everyday forces you into a fight or flight mode. I think the brain adapts by learning to think faster. Scales, chords and arpeggios require less thought so it's easier to improvise melodies. It's just a great mental workout!

11. roswell

roswell Member

Check out the new issue of Guitar Player (June 2017); Jesse Gress has just boiled the whole HR program into a 5 page article. Very nice! Time to get to work.

russintexas and james russell like this.
  12. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Resurrecting a super old thread here on superchops (pun intended) because I'm about to embark on the journey. For those that have done this, how critical are playing the chords exactly as he's outlined them in the progressions? The reason I ask is that there are some voicings that I literally cannot do. I have smallish hands and anything that is a 5th fret to 1st fret type of voicing (like D-7 in ex. 1-A) is just not going to come out clearly for me. Thoughts?

It's reassuring to see that this course was hard for others. I played through a couple of laps of the progression for 1-A yesterday and boy did it sound sucky for most of it!

13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Done it a long time ago and occasional refresh.
    I always was particularly fond of learning some shapes I didn't. So I played them as written but with substitute fingerings.
    For example that D7#11 he's fond off I'd thumb the A string then index ring pinkie middle as oppossed to the sugested middle index ring pinkie middle index(barred)

14. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

< For those that have done this, how critical are playing the chords exactly as he's outlined them in the progressions?

To quote Howard Roberts
    "There is however, a more efficient way to learn. It is based on the often heard but little appreciated rule that states: a person learns what he wants to learn when he wants to learn it. This is of the utmost importance in the selection of material. You must know exactly what you are working on and exactly why you want it. You must see how it fits into your present body of musical knowledge and how and where you will use it once you master it. Therefore, whenever possible, work only with information which has a useful purpose now."

So I'm taking the basic Super Chops approach and applying it to playing country guitar, since that's what interests me at the moment. I don't have any use at present for the jazzy chords in the course.

15. lookinforthebook

lookinforthebook Member

I know this post is about 9 years old, but I wanted to reach out in the long-shot chance that someone perhaps still has this document and would be willing to share it. I am willing to re-post and host this file so that future generations looking to gain insight from this book can again find it.

Any help in tracking down this long lost SuperChops file would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -C

16. BenoA

BenoA Member

17. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

It's on scribd

18. lookinforthebook

lookinforthebook Member

Thank you very much for the pointer to check scribd. I hadn't seen any results in web-searches to look there, only this forum and the irealb.com forums had turned up. I was able to successfully download a copy, so again, mucho thanks!!

-C

Including the link for any future searchers as well:
    Superchops

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 4:17 PM
  19. lookinforthebook

lookinforthebook Member

That is exactly the post I was reading that inspired me to start searching for this text. Finding a physical copy on Amazon for $325 caused me to do a little more web-searching, which is where I found this forum discussing the manual. I'd be totally fine to purchase a copy, but that seems a bit much... and then I found mention of it having been pdf'd...and it also being out of print...and thankfully, as was just pointed out to me, it is located on scribd.

20. Kappy

Kappy Member

Bummer. Villanova took down my personal web site. I thought that would be there forever. Here's the file that was posted, which looks to be the same one as on Scribd. I also updated post #1 in this thread with the updated link. Happy 20 weeks of 8th notes playing!