TGP Convention

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lo Blues, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

I was thinking how cool would it be to have a TGP convention/gathering. There are about 35,000 members and climbing and even if only 3% showed up that would be over 1000 people! I was talking to a friend of mine about all the possibilities and we both started to get really interested. Although this could mean/be lots of things anything from a 2 week event at the Grand Wailea Resort in Hawaii sponsored by some big Musical Instrument Corporation to a potluck in the park b.y.o.b, I was thinking for starters something more along the lines of 1-3 days at a nice hotel in a cool city with lots of music like Austin, New Orleans, Chicago, or Portland. Folks could bring they're gear and there would be stuff there for people who couldn't. During the day there could be clinics on DIY stuff and booths for people to show off and share their stuff etc. It would be a great place for small and/or up and coming boutique builders to show off their stuff. But it would have to be something more than just a guitar/amp show. At night (and during the day) there should be bands playing and different folks jamming together with their or someone else's gear. And most of all just to be able to get together in person to have a good time and talk about gear. And of course there would be beer.

I just think there are a lot of great folks on TGP (and others that share the same interests who aren't members) who all love gear and especially music and would have an awesome time getting together. What do you think?

Oh, I'm just assuming most of the members are in the states but wherever we are I guess it would be there.

And of course if something like this already exists well then let me know.

Thanks,
    Lonnie

2. Randy

Randy Member

Nice thought but... you joined the forum 4 days ago and you already want to organize a convention for 1000 people in Hawaii? :confused:

If you're buying though, I'm there! :drink :AOK

3. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

You're probably right. Nevermind.

4. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I think the big shows like Arlington already serve this purpose.

5. DamianP

DamianP Member

I`ll be the guy in the pink chaps and cowboy hat.

Damian.

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    The Village People!

7. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

How about Philly! I would love a TGP convention.

8. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Very good idea. To get it going would be the tough part. I found out that even a local TGP get together can be tough thing to pull off.

9. DamianP

DamianP Member

If everybody came dressed as a different VP member we could have competitions. Cops vs Constuction workers Ostrich Polo or similar. It would help to break the ice.

Damian.

10. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

I think it would be lots of fun!:drink

True, Arlington is an outlet for us all to meet at, although I seriously doubt that everyone that wants to can make that event. So I would say that it would never hurt to have a TGP get - together. Dr.z Forums does it. Hell even PRS Fan's meet at the experience. Why not TGP?

Just my thoughts

Shane

11. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Something like this has been done with the Clarence White Forum jams (mandatory b-benders of course), the SoCal TDPRI Jams organized by Larry Rosen, et al (me behind the scenses) over the last six years, and the ;ast two years of the G&L Factory Tour and Jam night in Fullerton. We've had some great players at different events: Bob Warford, Will Ray, Fred Stuart, Jesse Harris, Greg V, James Wilsey, and others. The challenge is, of course, to get the right mix of people, that is, those who do not play too loud, don't play too long, don't have 3'x5' pedalboards, know how to turn down and lay out when not soloing, doing something beyond I-IV-V all day, and so on. It's work bt can be very rewarding.

12. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Wouldn't work. Homeland Security would shut us down in a nanosecond. LOL.

13. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Somehow I think the pink chaps and cowboy hat will break all the ice that needs breakin' ~

14. DamianP

DamianP Member

Curses, foiled again!

Damian.

15. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

'Gotta say though, I dig Lonnie's enthusiasm :AOK

16. jbever

jbever Member

Hey, I'm from Alaska, I can probably get Palin there, if she doesn't get another job! Whose up for moose bugers?

17. hawaii5_o

hawaii5_o Member

Denver is primed for a TGP convention! The mountains, man...That's inspiration!

18. enocaster

enocaster Member

I'm down for something in the northeast.

19. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Brian and I have discussed this many times. We organized and ran the original PRS Forum Events. It's a fantastic way to get folks together and put faces to names.

Given the economy right now, it'd be quite a feat to pull off though in all honesty. Contact Brian Scherzer about it though. It'd be best to base it around some industry event ala NAMM. Without any corporate affiliation, it's sort of hard to draw numbers on a gear 'pilgrimage' if you will.

20. DamianP

DamianP Member

Missing "r", or not maybe?

Damian.