TGP Digital "Love-in" - post positive things only with no in-fighting

Guitardave

The sheer amount of negativity of a lot of these threads really gets old and I highly doubt if we were sitting in the same room with the same gear that most of us would ever bicker so much or take it quite so personally.

So for the start of 2017 I figured I'd start a thread that only talks about our positive digital modeling experiences and interactions. If something is working for you, tell people about it. If you disagree with that opinion - save it for another thread. This is the place for people to read about positive experiences with the entire spectrum of the gear. There is so much positive to talk about in the digital modeling space.

Here's one:

I continue to be incredibly impressed by the contributions and professionalism @Digital Igloo, @benadrian and the entire L6 team bring to all these modelling discussions.

I've had my Helix since fall 2015 and still am amazed by it. You guys just knocked it out of the park with this product!

hobbes1

I love my helix but love it more with @TheAmpFactory IRs. Also, looking at buying some Redwirez IRs too.

Much appreciate the Line6 staff presence here and all of their helpfulness and cool, calm, collected attitudes.

I appreciate some of the regular posters here who continue to add value by helping out their fellows, regardless of modeler in use.

Appreciate this thread!

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
For the past few months, I've really hit the sweet spot with all my gear, including my Axe FX XL+. It's a joy to play every time I sit down in front of it. And the RJM Mastermind GT22 I'm using to control it is equally as brilliant. Awesome products with awesome support!
-
Austin

Alex Kenivel

I've wanted an AFX2 for years and recently acquired a Helix. I love it but I'd still get a AFX2 if I had the chance :D. I too hate the :fisticuffs that goes on and one of these days it'll be just like our other favorite companies. LP guys still own Strats and Marshall guys'll have a Twin somewhere for different flavors..

I highly doubt if we were sitting in the same room with the same gear that most of us would ever bicker so much or take it quite so personally.
:agree

john lan

boss gt-10
it is old but the control ability is great, it has trails when changing patches(gt1 and gt100 do not) , can be modified to be analog dry and its sounds(drives) although nothing great definitely gigable

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
Loving the AX-8 and Amplifire. Playing every day, gigging every weekend. The gear are my tools and I love using them; no romance, no attitude, no agenda. The gear works for me or the gear doesn't stick around. Fractal Audio 'turned' me on to inspired performing and recording with primarily modeling gear over tube amps and I've been Fractalized since 2007. That's gear that works. Don't have time or energy to be in the fighting on the boards anymore; just no desire to engage but threads like this... are good threads to engage in. Play on!

Opzouten

I love my modeling setup because its compact size means that I can bring it everywhere I play with same great sound. Before I had one amp at home, one at rehearsal and another one at church (live) because logging one amp around was not possible (I carry everything on my bicycle).

Also it (almost) cured my G.A.S. If I want to test a new effect/drive/amp-configuration I can just do that in the box.

The latest development is that I have taken up playing trumpet again (did it a lot more 20 years ago) and running that through my modeler is a lot of fun and the fact that I can hook up a microphone directly and use the same monitoring system (IEM) is great :)

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I have tried them all and found things I liked in every one of them. I'm using my Kemper now and I can honestly say that the amp tones are just simply out of this world. I'm still making my way as far as figuring out my gigging workflow but the sounds are just there in spades. Love it!

a thread that only talks about our positive digital modeling experiences
I'm positive that my AX8 blows away my Helix. :D

Kidding, kidding...

We are a generation of guitarists that is spoiled by choice. And almost all of them are great choices. The range of superb tones we have access to now at the volumes we have access to them is something that we've all been dreaming of for decades. Now we're nitpicking over which one is that tiniest bit better. And it's not just in digital modeling. We have a wealth of real amps and pedals, more than at any other time in the past, with technology that our guitar heroes could only have dreamed about.

The funny thing is if you listen to those "amazing" tones from back in the day, you'll probably notice how some of them just aren't that amazing to start with. The brain is a cruel trickster. Those guys worked with what they had in front of them.

On the flip side, the lowliest POD 2.0 can and has fooled the lot of us in a recording. And the mightiest Axe-Fx IIXL+ has sounded like dog crap in the hands of a novice.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
For the past few months, I've really hit the sweet spot with all my gear, including my Axe FX XL+. It's a joy to play every time I sit down in front of it.
Same here. The Axe II/CLR rig and my George Benson Hot Rod Deluxes/FX8 rigs both sound great...I'm grinning ear to ear no matter which one I plug into.

I'm even digging my Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb/Mesa Thiel EVM 12L/Rivera Los Lowbottom Sub 1 bedroom rig.

My 335 and Strat sound fantastic through any of them.

At the moment, I'm a happy camper.

mikah912

Having played Amplifire, AX8 and Helix in the past 12 months, I'm happy to say that any guitarist who is able to use one of these as their main tone generator is getting top-tier sounds. Call it being "positive" or "false equivalent", but there really is no winner. I picked one from the three ultimately to be my main squeeze, because it had the features and form factor I needed.

But soundwise, they were all on the same level. Different, but of the same tier of quality, no doubt. Realistic, responsive to dynamics and versatile.

So my recommendation to anyone on which to buy would be about what features and form factor they're looking for. They're good on core tones no matter which one they pick.

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
Still thrilled with the Helix after 4+ months. No more GAS and it's so nice to have your whole rig be a 30lb pedalboard and super flexible and reliable.

All of these high end modelers are great and the benefits of each are pretty obvious at this point. All will give you great tones if you what you're doing.

It's a great time to be a guitar player. Just wish all this tech was around when I was starting.

Multicellular

It's a great time to be a guitar player. Just wish all this tech was around when I was starting.
I just had a reunion last year with my band from high school. We had been well into effects back then.

Back then I had like 7 analog pedals and a 4 space rack. 2u of which was a sampler. Plus the rack remote pedals.

I played the whole reunion show with all the original effects from the recordings with
-a Boss rc3 (used as a sample player)
-Pitchfork
-Expression pedal
-Zoom CDR
-VFE Dark Horse

Our original recordings were done in a pro studio to 8 track tape with a huge racks of gear and a huge mixer.

I recorded the show off the board with a little 8 track Alesis mixer/interface and a laptop.

I swear it sounds almost as good as the original.

kleydj13

It has been about 5 years now for me using modelers in my rig. I absolutely love it. The Amplifire with pedals had been a great setup for the last year or so. I will be trying out an AX8 soon, and I expect it will also be killer. S-gear gets a lot of rotation at home too. Ownhammer IRs abound.

Whether I'm playing at an outdoor festival, at church is ar 1 am while my 2 year old sleeps I can get great tone and make the music I want to make. It is a great time to play guitar.

Trending Topics