TGP Experts - Considering a 1x12 - please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Austintone, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Austintone

Austintone Member

Hello all - thanks in advance for your responses. My current setup is a Roccaforte Custom 18 into a Roccaforte 4x12 loaded with Eminence Private Jack Speakers. I need a smaller cab...my band plays lots of little stages here in Hampton Roads, and we recently added a keys player, so we now have 6 people on stage! I've heard great stuff about Avatar - but their 2x12's are almost as big as my 4x12. So their best option for me is the 1x12 (I like the look of the Vintage Custom). So my questions are:

1. It's only one speaker, so which ohm load? I've always used 16 ohm speakers.

2. The Custom 18 has 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps. Right now, I go 16 out, into the 4x12 whch is rated at 16 ohms. Based on the above question, which is the best option here?

3. Lastly, which speaker? Avatar offers lots of options. I love the sound of my 4x12 with the Eminence Private Jacks, and I know a 1x12 is not going to sound the same, but I'd like to get close. I play dirty, bluesy rock and roll so I need good breakup. I typically dime the Custom 18 so I want a speaker that can take all its got.

Thanks again for any help!!!

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Find a Pure Sixty Four 1x12 and be done with your search. Tiny physical footprint, HUGE sonic footprint. Amazing sounding cab.

3. Austintone

Austintone Member

Those look very nice, but I have a budget of $400!

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've got an Avatar Vintage 1x12. Very nice cab, sounds full and deep, made well, best of all I got it $149 including an Emi Tonker installed off eBay. It's in pristine condition, too!

5. Peeb

Peeb Member

Wow- that's a sweet price!

6. amp boy

amp boy Member

someone here was selling a port city 2x12 for around 400, might be worth a look.

7. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

If you want reasonably similar harmonics, feedback threshold, etc. keep the impedance 1:1. Iow, if the 1x12" is 8ohms (typical), use the 8ohm tap from the OT, too.

As for speakers... tough call, nothing is going to match the lows from the 4x12. I'd normally recommend something from Weber (the 50w alnico Silver Bell), but if you want the cab loaded from Avatar, I'd try the Hellatone 30. If you don't like it, there's a decent resale market here.

8. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

You should check out LopoLine

I have their large 1x12 and it's pretty solid. I use it as an extension cab for my MkIV combo and with my Bandmaster head.

They are a good value. I've gigged with mine for nearly two years now and it is still solid. They have open and closed back options so you can choose which might suit you best.

Scott

9. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I have Avatar's regular 112, and it really is nearly a cube shape--just a little awkward if you're trying to save space--so I think your idea of the Vintage 112 is a better choice. Since you're trying to go for a tone similar to what you have but with 112, I'd talk to Jim at Scumback (or here on TGP) for a recommendation.

10. Austintone

Austintone Member

Yes - I'd like to go ahead and get it loaded from Avatar. The Hellatone sounds like the ticket. Would you recommend it over the Celestion Heritage speakers they offer?

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Tough call. I don't have any gig-volume experience with the Heritage stuff, but the Hellatones offer reduced break-in time if you're looking to gig one right away. Could make a big difference in the short term, esp. if you're gigging the Sunlion- new speakers can make germ boosters and fuzzes sound harsh.

With all that said: be prepared, a dimed 18w circuit is going to sound a whole lot looser & more distorted into a single 30w than it would into a quad of 50w Jacks. If low end definition for riffs is a high priority, you might go with the 75 instead.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look at a Thiele-aligned ported cab w/ an EV-type speaker - Rivera, Boogafunk, etc...

13. Austintone

Austintone Member

That is a good point about the Sunlion! I wish I could try one of these boxes out prior to purchase. My local shop only has 2x12 Dr Z's and no 1x12's. The Dr Z's sound great but are outrageously expensive.

14. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

The Bogner cube sounds huge, and I think is in your price range. Easy to lug around also.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 on the Lopo. Well built and affordable. Thier large 1x12 is LARGE too. ots of different options., Bob

16. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

If you use 16 ohm cab, use the 16 ohm out.

I would say if you like the tone of the amp now, try to stay with 16 ohms. Also if you wanted to buy two small 1x12" cabs and run them in parallel, you would have an 8 ohm load. Or you could just run one cab for 16 ohms.

I really like Eminience GB128 for the style of music you listed. Its an 8 ohm speaker rated at 50 watts. Should sound similar to the Private Jacks. Scumback speakers really are the best Celestion style speakers avail in my opinion. You may want to shoot an email to them and see if they will recommend you a decent speaker for your usage. Have you considered other speaker sizes? I would take a serious look at a 1x15" cab with a Big Ben. Its got a bigger sound than most 12" speakers, but a 1x15" cab will be smaller than a 4x12" obviously. Lopoline and Avatar make good discount cabs. Check Avatar's clearance section too for good deals.

No problem. I hope this helped.

dk

17. Austintone

Austintone Member

Just bought a Dr Z, Z Best cab 2x12's at 4 ohms. So I will go out of the 4 ohm tap on the Custom 18 - what effect will this have on the sound?

18. Nimrod11477

Nimrod11477 Member

Lopoline also has 2X12 vertical and vertical slant cabs. You'd still be saving width space if you're not 100% sold on a 1X12 already. The slanted model is featured on their homepage.

19. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

The space savings is minimal. Make the new guy downsize. With a 112 you won't hear yourself but everyone else will complain you're too loud as you'll lose the directivity of a 412.

Or just fire the new guy.:horse

"Or I'll just mike it and hear myself through the monitors". :barf

That only works on the internet.

Once you go stack you never go back.

20. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Good call.I have Lopo Large semi-open 1-12 cab in which I dropped in a well broken in early '80s EVM12L that I pulled from an old Carvin cab.While I really like it's low and wide stance,the huge tones coming from it are the best part.Btw,the Lopo Large 1-12's dimensions are 23" wide x 15" deep x 15" high.

Ed