TGP Gremlins???

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MikeyG, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Lately while browsing TGP on my phone, I'm getting redirects to the Google play store and other random sites.

It only happens on TGP, nowhere else....

I suspected my phone was hacked or had a virus, but it only happens on TGP.

Anyone else?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

You shouldn't see any ads or have any issues here since you are a supporting member.

Here's my longer answer though:

Known issue - hijacked ad redirects. It's malware.
    http://readwrite.com/2014/05/15/app-redirects-mobile-spam-ads
    Easiest solution is to use Adblock. Fixes symptoms.

I want to be clear that we receive zero benefit from any of this redirect issue. I've asked for help as directed by Google and posted it. I've tried to explain it in plain terms. There are free and effective ways to block this if you don't want to become a supporting member to do so. We are looking into the possibility of blocking ads for all supporting members. Unfortunately TGP cannot be sustained and paid for by supporting memberships alone or we'd have never added the advertising but to pay the bills advertising is a necessary evil. However, malvertising and malware were never part of that bargain.

We have blocked apps and any sort of mobile app advertising at the network level as a category so any redirects into the app markets is not coming from legit sources.

I had an online conference with Google concerning this issue, what I need to do is get both the ad URL and the redirect URL (I've now submitted everything anyone has sent me to date) directly to Google's Anti-Malvertising Team. They are aggressively pursuing this sort of exploit and what they require to shut these down are the ad served (URL) and the redirect.

So if this happens to you; replicate it and capture the URL's involved and PM or email (best) them to me and I'll get them entered in ASAP to shut them down 'at the root' (per Google's recommendation).

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I noticed recently that the ads no longer show up,which is strange because I've always been a supporting member.

I also installed adblock is that what is doing it?

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

You don't need Adblock on TGP but it's not going to hurt anything. We added the Subscribing members to the no-ads last week to match the Silver and Gold supporting members.

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

is that why you posted this in the "Introductions"-section?
    ha!

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That was my faux pas

7. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

..... just joking there, mikey --- one ole'-timer to another.