TGP helped me quit smoking, thanks.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by paulscape, Feb 13, 2015.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

The primary reason I quit was changing location from overseas back to my home country (that happens to have stricter laws). That change in environment and habit was powerful. However I never really read or learned anything formal on quitting, never discussed it much with friends and never really reached out. It was something that could have easily gone on for many years because, frankly, I enjoyed smoking when I did. I was a heavy smoker.

Many times I read threads on TGP about smoking and a lot of it stuck in the back of my mind especially the persuasive arguments of going cold turkey and never looking back.

I wanted to say thanks and pass the baton on. If you smoke and want to stop, it's easier than you think. I recommend going cold turkey and avoiding the use of nicotine gums, patches and E-cigs. Save your money. The physical addiction is not necessarily the hardest part - for me it was being around other people who smoke and you enjoy smoking with. Next time you go for a holiday or have a break away from smoking friends, stop smoking and on return change habits with those people. They will stay friends and hopefully be inspired by you. You are just not going to join them for a cigarette. You will find a whole new social group (of hanging with non smokers) expands out of exactly that anyway. I also recommend getting back into major lung exercises like running or swimming and type a post like this if your hands get fidgety!

Good luck and be healthy!

2. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

From one ex smoker to another - Congrats! Life does get so much better after you quit. Open the door this morning and enjoy a deep breath of fresh air.

3. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I quit smoking in '06 after 16 years...Cold Turkey as well.
    Once you make it through that first month it is all downhill.

Congrats!

4. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I quit alcohol and cigs simultaneously on 07/16/13 and haven't touched either since. It was my first time quitting cigs in my 18 years of smoking, and it took over a year to really feel an appreciable improvement in my breathing. Start exercising and don't stop.

I didn't use any stop-smoking aids when I quit, but I started using these after the first year because I started having urges again. It's good to have something like these around: http://www.vitacost.com/preserve-flavored-toothpicks-mint-tea-tree-35-pieces

5. paulscape

paulscape Member

Toothpicks...ha...interesting...

My lungs seem to be ok and I feel relatively fit. The huge difference is within 1 week I stopped coughing and after 2 months (where I'm at now) I'm noticing a much better sense of smell and taste but that also means I need to be careful with not eating too much. Out of interest what was it that gave you urges after 1 year? Ive only once had an urge and that was after having a surf for the first time in a while.

Dont want to quit alcohol though. Im australian.

6. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

It'll be 14 years for me in September.

Every smoke-free day is another victory. :)

Anyone who truly wants to quit, can quit. Right now. Today.

I did just that on Saturday, September 8th, 2001.

If I did it, anyone can.

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

A sincere congratulations. Emphysema took my dad and smoking was a big part of it. I've never been drawn to smoking other than the occasional cigar, so I'm lucky there. Now, if I could only break this wheat and cheese habit.

8. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Good on you, 35 years of smoke 20 quit

9. D Rock

D Rock Member

Congrats man, I only smoked for a few years before I quit but I'm sure glad I did. I read a book to help me quit if anyone out this is trying. Sound dumb but called "Easy way to stop smoking". He even tells you in the book not to stop smoking just because you start reading the book. It sort of brainwashes you in a very subtle way without you even realizing it. I ending up quitting about halfway through. Quit for a few months and picked it up again, read the book all the way through and I've been good since.

Even had a friends dad who had been smoking 30 years quit after reading the book.

Again, congrats man, stick with it.

10. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

congrats man, I'm so glad I quit while I was still young. I agree, once you find it inside yourself that you WANT to quit, cold turkey is the way to go.