1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

TGP: It giveth GAS and it taketh it away. :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jet Age Eric, May 16, 2011.

1. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I'm finding lots of threads are curing my GAS, either through helpful comparisons or clips. In an ideal world, I'd try every pedal for myself but, I can't afford to and I'm already in love with my tone, so it's nice when a pedal's around long enough that, after the GAS is instilled, someone comes along to write a description/make a comparison that makes me realize that pedal will only disappoint me. From now on I'm gonna try to be better about making comparisons when I can, as opposed to just saying what my preferences are;reading comparisons might help y'all make informed decisions ("He hates those mids? I love those mids, ergo ..."). -E

2. IRG

IRG Member

I'm going to be doing a few reviews myself of some recent pedal purchases. Things I look for, or find important to relate to in the review, include:

1) What venue it's being used; live (and what kind of gig) or home use/recording
    2) What amps being used
    3) What guitars being used
    4) Musical genre you're most familiar with, and what the pedal will be used for musically
    5) Comparison to other similar pedals

Probably more, but these are things I find helpful, and probably others do too.

FWIW, what is the time allowed to get past the "honeymoon" stage with new gear? I can usually determine quickly whether I like a pedal or not. But it may take a week or more, to really determine how much I like said pedal. After a while, the honeymoon period is over, but how long do most people feel you need to wait so your review of a pedal isn't the initial moment of euphoria, or perhaps in rare cases, revulsion?

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Yeah, 2, 3, and 5 have always been my bellwethers, but I've come to realize 1 can be an issue. I dont worry about 4 so much because, as much as I dislike country music, I realize there's a lot of overlap tonally with my apporach to indie rock.

I feel like I can tell which posts are honeymoon posts, :p but those usually draw out long-time users, which is when it starts getting good. -E