Tgp Needs A Mobile App

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ClassicLP, May 19, 2015.

1. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

The new site looks great on desktop but hardly optimal for mobile. I can already hear the chorus of "it works all right for me." Nonetheless, it involves way to much scrolling to find things. While I understand that TGP felt the need to break away from tapatalk, failing to replace it with a mobile app is a miss.

R3deemed likes this.
  2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Try your browser on your phone. TGP is now a mobile responsive platform. There are some very negative things about how both Forum Runner and Tapatalk interfere with the back-end and database of the forum we are not comfortable with (and neither would you be if you ran a forum).

raph likes this.
  3. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

No one owes you anything. These guys have been busting their a$$.........I don't know personally how much of their time they've given FOR FREE, but I'd imagine it's ridiculous.

They won't say it, but I will :)

M40A1, sanrico, raph and 2 others like this.
  4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

As Scott says, try it in a browser on your phone, it's great.

What Craig says as well.

5. aflynt

aflynt Member

Honestly, the biggest issue with the website on mobile browsers is the ads. I don't object to them being there in the first place, but I do object to them taking 3x as long as the rest of the page to load and taking me to the app store when I accidentally click on the blank space they are loading in when trying to scroll down to the content I actually want to see.

-Aaron

6. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

I have tried it in my browser, and it is not so hot. For example, the buttons are rather small. Mobile apps are common this days for good reason. And to the pit bull, no, I am not owed a thing. I am just offering constructive criticism. And if you can read between teethings, you will see that I complimented the desktop look.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    mojah likes this.
  7. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Some "buttons" are pretty small on my IPad mini.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It's a fair criticism to share, I've no issue with it. The ads should also be responsive; Google now penalizes sites in search results that are not responsive yet their ad network is not. It's something I imagine they'll rectify sooner than later and it will no longer be an issue. The ads 'stick out' but a double tap on my android phone and they are essentially 'out of the way' and TGP on my android 4.4.4 is very fast.

9. partytrain

partytrain Member

I previously used forum runner just because the old tgp wasn't great on the iPhone browser. But forum runner was so glitchy, mine would crash anytime I clicked a link or imbedded YouTube video. I much prefer the new experience on my iPhone's browser now!

Craig Walker and Scott Peterson like this.
  10. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

You can solve this for $25.

11. aflynt

aflynt Member

Actually it would be $12/year minimum. Ironically, I renewed my supporting membership yesterday (let it expire a few years ago) for this very reason, but it still hasn't taken effect.

I understand need for the ads. I'm just pointing out that they negate the performance gains TGP has made on mobile switching over to the new forum software with responsive layout. The biggest issue is that you either have to wait for the ad to load before you interact with the page, or risk clicking on something that will take you out of the browser entirely by tap-dragging in the space where the ad image is invisibly loading. On a slow connection this can be annoying enough to not want to use the site at all.

-Aaron

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  12. Faded

Faded Member

The new site looks great in Chrome on my Android phone. Nice functionality.

13. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I was just busting you, but it's cool that you re-upped.

14. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Terrible in Iphone and not so hot on Ipad. I compared it with TDPRI, which has a dedicated mobile app, and TGP just doesn't cut it.

15. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

What would be improved in an app from how it works in a browser? I'd really like to understand.

I get the ad thing, but as stated, that's easily solved for $12.

16. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

For me, it was just faster and a lot easier to get to the threads I participated and was following, jumping between forums and overall made for a more practical and streamlined experience.

TDPRI and StratTalk apps are good, and I was really liking the way Tapatalk handled things latelly.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

For $12 a year, they'll disable ads.

18. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

The new software works amazing in Safari. Far superior to using Tapatalk or Forum Runner. The buttons are the same size as everything on my keyboard...... Not sure how much bigger you want em. You can also zoom in for those hard to reach places if you must.

Scott Peterson likes this.
  19. drod2045

drod2045 Member

works perfectly on mobile. the new site is fantastic. thanks mods

Scott Peterson likes this.