TGP Official Les Paul Thread

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I thought it would be cool to share, ask questions and comment on the venerable Les Paul. After spending most of my playing years with teles, strats and PRS, I've fallen in love with 2 Les Pauls. I always thought they were the most beautiful electrics, but found them too thick sounding and too heavy. Then the Pete Thorn vid of his Yaron replica caught my ear. The LP "tele on steroids" sound was what I was looking for. With some low output pickups and 50's wiring, the variety of tones is amazing. I can control everything from 4 knobs...volume, tone, dynamics...just so responsive and no need to kick on an OD or boost pedal.

Here are the beauties getting most of my playing time these days:

That's a 2014 ES on the left. If anyone has details about it let me know. I think it's modern wiring, which is OK for now since I play it mostly clean. Pickups sound low-med output, maybe A3? On the right is an 08 Standard Faded. It's under 8lbs, so it must be chambered. Bought used and it already had some nice upgrades: historic plastic, after market bridge/tailpiece (faber?), 50's wiring, and aged covers. I installed Mojotone Clones, low output, unpotted, A2 bridge and A5 neck... sounds incredible.

I'm still getting my feet wet with these LP's, but I've never been happier guitar wise. I think if I pick up a Fano SP6, I could retire my Fenders.

ddhr

I bought a beat-up Studio earlier this year for a great price and did some work on it. Stripped it, dyed it for a semi-honeyburst finish and had it rewired with a RS 50's kit and a TV Jones Classic in the bridge. Jury is still out on the wiring and the pups, but here it is:

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
I have 3 right now. Only one is a true Gibson. This one.

1974 LPC. A couple months ago, I picked it up with a poorly routed middle pickup. I cleaned it up, made it right, and replaced the Dimarzio Super Distortion that came with it. I used my favorite Tim Shaw in the neck position, and moved the other two original sticker'd T-tops into the middle and bridge position. Love this guitar. Love it.

This is a replica built by a reclusive but brilliant artisan from TX. It's back at his shop right now. I'm having him drill and install stopbar posts. I'm converting the style to emulate a First Generation LPC. I've acquired an early '70s staple pickup for the neck, along with the requisite gold hardware and proper knobs, black plastic, yadda yadda. Here it is in it's last iteration.

Finally, I picked up this 2011 Chinese Epiphone from a Craigslist post a couple weeks ago, with the express intent to do a super mod - inspired by an equally extensive super mod to a Squier Strat (the Pink Lady) I did for the beautiful Elaina Kay. Everything that was plastic or metal or electronic was removed and replaced with Gibson products, and mostly vintage. The Faber ABR-1 is an exception. The lightweight stopbar was removed from my '74 LPC above (and I suspect it's older than that since it's a wrap around rather than a standard stop... or maybe it's from a 70s reissue 54?). The pickups are true '72 sticker'd/embossed T-tops, vintage Grover Rotos, LPR7 cream plastic, and late '50s gold speed knobs. This sucker kicks serious ass. No. Really.

Last edited:

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I'm fixing it. When the OP mentioned Yaron's replica I figured that clones were invited. My fault. :bonk
I was kinda of kidding with the "official." Any Gibsonesque guitars invited for sure.

Last edited:

Trending Topics